Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You are saying what can’t be ignored yet you have ignored what I have repeatedly said as it doesn’t fit into your agenda. I have even explained my posts but your ignorance is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Deleted. No point engaging someone who takes up everything wrong by choice.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

I didn't think it was hard a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

• Advertisement

You asking me or him? I assume him but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Sorry Flinty, I meant the other poster. Seems they have left the building.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's very one sided article. There are wrong though there is is data on permeability and it's relationship with crime. It's not as simple as being suggested and it's not all positive either.

It also completely ignores that some of these areas have high level of anti social activity and crime that has nothing to do with the greenway. It's just happens to pass through them. Whereas other sections are in low crime areas but are remote. That's a whole different issue

Compromise and trials are mentioned in the article. But no one in this thread has been interested in any that. What people in this thread want is a fait accompli to get what they want.

But the stretch they are talking about in the article would never have gone ahead without compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Compromise and trials are mentioned in the article. But no one in this thread has been interested in any that

I think the residents along the Grand Canal would be very naive to think that any "trial" wouldn't be permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a wider social issue, can't be solved by greenway design. We could draft all unemployed 15 to 22 year olds into the military and have enough sailors to crewe the fleet, 2 birds 1 stone and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sorry if this has been asked recently, but what stage are Phases 3 and 4 of the greenway upgrades at? Any sections due to start construction any time soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if there are any plans to construct a cycleway or walk way across the Liffey towards Liffey Valley Shopping Centre?

It seems crazy to be able to see the shops less than a mile say from say the GAA pitch yet it takes a long, circuitous route to drive and park over there!

there's a campaign to reopen the old bridge over the liffey which was used for workers to get in and out of farmleigh. it wouldn't quite link up with the liffey valley shopping centre, but is not that far away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3614002,-6.3647779,3a,75y,327.09h,107.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJpFhpTXLs-1js8VpmErNIQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Could they suspend a cycle/walk "skyway" from the existing M50 bridge. That would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This times 100. There should of course be a public transport, walking and cycling bridge west of the m50. Its the busiest road in the state and there are no realistic alternatives. You either have to cross the liffey in chapelizod, lucan or get in a car and cross the m50. Maybe it's a deliberate revenue protection measure. If people can easily cycle or take buses between blanch and clondalkin then paying a toll to sit in m50 traffic seems less appealing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst the view would be brilliant, it would be quite noisy which would ruin the amenity.

I was more thinking it was a direct route. Everything else is thorough other people's land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Totally off topic but on the excellent Bridges documentary recently shown on RTE they said it was actually for a water pipe and not people or livestock which is why it doesnt have proper access on either side. i always heard it was for livestock. The pipe went up to the clock tower in Farmleigh which is actually a water tower in disguise. When you look at the satellite pictures on google maps it is very close to the clock tower and directly in line so it makes sense.

• Advertisement

according to wikipedia, it did both - pipes and pedestrian access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

This bridge seems to be proposed as a Liffey crossing point in the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network, connecting Farmleigh to Waterstown Park. See attached pic.

It also shows a M50 crossing point further west, between Waterstown Park and King's Hospital School (the school is objecting to this routing through their grounds).

Aside: Notice the interesting M50 crossing point between Castleknock Way and Park Avenue!! Great for people going to CETNS or St Brigid's on Beechpark Avenue and for anyone from Castleknock going to CCC. I do expect strong objections of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks it would be a good idea!

I contacted Fingal council to see if they had any details, mail was acknowledged and would be passed to relevant area but I'll be surprised if I get a response!

I think a bridge further up joining carpenterstown road/ college gate to back of Castleknock college would be useful both as a route to Castleknock and the park and CCC and beyond in the other direction. Less objections too. Maybe. I don't think either would happen though.

you mean collegegate to college wood?

or somewhere there.

Be nice to cut out the road in front of castleknock college both going to castleknock and the park/town. I know you can cut through college wood to collage gate but its bit of a faff/indirect

not sure they'd be willing to spend so much on a walkway/cycleway over the M50 when they'd just point to the nearby road. not that it wouldn't be welcome.

Well the road outside Castleknock college is bad. Its narrow and drivers squeeze past constantly. There's no cycle lanes and space tp add them. If you take the lane and keep up the space its ok. But for slower cyclists and kids its completely unsuitable. lots of aggressive drivers. TBH thats true of the entire stretch to the carpenter roundabout.

We have no cycle lane route to the Park/Castleknock. Its a disgrace. There should be cycling infrastrcuture to link to the Park and thus Town.

true; my niece would have to cycle that road to get to school and that ain't going to happen, partly because of that road - mount sackville is weirdly difficult to get to safely on a bike for a school that's only a mile from castleknock village.

• Advertisement

You could cycle down whites road then through the park.

Or they could open back road from whites rd, into farmeigh, then it would be very little effort to open up a path from farmleigh car park into mountsackville.

Though personal safety would a consideration though off road areas with low footfall.

Advertisement