Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

Environmentally unfriendly energy sources destroy the environment, not the things that use them. You can't stop creativity or technological advances for reasons outside of their control.

Fix the energy sources, the mega billion dollar industries who have successfully pushed the burden down to consumers.

Two words sum it up. Paper straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Looks like PS3 games are incoming for PS5.

Edit: apparently it's a bug.

I think back compat is a worthwhile project, but the amount of games I've played from xbox back compat are very few. I think the PS3/Xbox360 era was the dark ages of console gaming. No competition meant no innovation and the gen lasted far too long.

With only a handful of exceptions, I find playing games from that gen a very unpleasursble experience. Xbox One/PS4 is definitely worthwhile, but only with a 60 fps boost. Its unfortunate Xbox auto fps boost doesn't seem to have much momentum. I'd expect anything Sony come out with will jump straight to on par with Xbox, with fps boost and auto hdr.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

are you mad? the 360 / ps3 was a golden age of gaming, with the move to HD being the last really appreciable graphical leap from the generation before. It was also the time when gaming started to move beyond a somewhat niche hobby, or solely for kids.

Everything since then has been incremental improvements.

• Advertisement

PS1 was the first time gaming became "cool". It was Sony's key marketing strategy, they had console stands in nightclubs, and the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if you don't personally have an interest in playing it, there's a massive archival value in keeping classic games playable on modern consoles. Companies ain't doing it for the good of the medium alone, but the reality is there are swathes of chapters of gaming history entirely unavailable through legal means - or even means that don't require messing around with emulators, hardware mods etc...

The more games that are available to play on modern machines the better. Microsoft have done a sterling job in that regard, as have GOG in the PC space.

OK maybe technically not a console but Amiga 500 was mainstream and definitely not just for kids.

Evolution of Xbox Live was definitely a milestone of that gen, but I'm thinking in the context of back compat, what would entice you to go back and play games from that gen.

Is HD graphics not an incremental change? I mean incremental higher fidelity gen by gen is pretty much what its all its about.

Games from that gen feel really barren and empty to me. I just don't think they are worth playing without enhancement patches when modern standards are so much higher. It makes more sense to go back further and play a style of game you just don't get anymore. The platform games and shoot 'em ups from the Amiga for example (bring back The Bitmap Brothers!)

8 years is also too long to be confined to dated technology. I had given up and switched back to PC after probably 3 years of that gen.

Basically what I'm saying is, in a back compat context, these games played nowadays on modern consoles come across as just really, really **** modern day games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS360 era would have been a pretty bleak time for games if it wasn't for indie really taking it off and making it exciting. Saying that there were still some incredible games from that era that are well worth going back to, and that's not even including the Wii and DS catalogues that were also great. Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Portal, X-Com, Dishonored, Arkham asylum. Lots of great games that are still very playable (well if you play them on PC or later XBox, some do have horrendous performance issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The move to HD gaming tanked average performance across the industry and brought horrendous screen-tearing and (for a while) the piss filter. I rate that gen higher than most, but it really only took off in the last 2-3 years of its life cycle. And yea, as noted above, gaming moved beyond the child demographic with the introduction of the PlayStation. Of all of that console's many accomplishments, that is surely it's biggest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Sony almost single handedly made gaming as big as it is today. Before them, it was niche. Now it's bigger than any entertainment medium.

Nah, it was always going to be big. Each generation it has been getting bigger and bigger. They just kind of made it a little more acceptable to college aged kids but kids and teenagers were always the bigger market. Clever marketing alright but gaming was always going to get an older demography as the demograph aged.

Sony kind of just copied Sega but did it exceptionally well. Atari and NES was for kids, Sega recognised those kids were now teenagers so marketed towards them with Sega does what Nindon't and cyber razorcut. Sony recognised that those teenagers were now in their early 20's.

And if you make things cool for the older kids/adults then the younger demograph is going to really want it even more.

But Sony were the one's who carried that flag forward. It certainly wasn't Sega or Nintendo in the mid to late 90s, early 00s. Sony made that push forward while Sega floundered and Nintendo focused on the pre teen demographic.

There's other factors to consider. Sega were definitely going after that demographic as well just Sony out did them and their Sony music connections were a massive boon to them. Also we only saw the Sony Europe marketing campaign which admittedly was one of the best marketing campaigns of all time. The Sony America campaign was very different and more along the lines of what Sega did with the Megadrive.

As for Nintendo, they were copying Sega badly with their play it loud campaign to try and keep the SNES relevant. Nintendo's biggest issue wasn't marketing. It was they were so late to the party with the N64 and lost so much support. They definitely weren't going after the pre-teen market but when the N64 was doing so badly that had to double down on that pokemon connection to try and stay relevant. Nintendo were actually pushing hard after the teenager/early twenties demograph with a lot of mature titles (shadowman, Turok etc.) and western developer partners.

Retronauts have said it as well, the market was always going towards including the early twenty year olds now and all three publishers knew it, especially after the success of Sega with the megadrive. Sony's incredible marketing was what captured the majority of that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

You may be right about the market expansion being inevitable but that is still speculation, and I think it is reductive to say Sony's marketing was just a better version of what Sega were doing considering it was an order of magnitude more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed. As the SNES/MegaDrive kids got older (and even ones who were gaming since the Atari/C64 days), there was always going to be a market for older kids to keep them gaming. Sony capitalised on that market the best, but it's impossible to say that Sony made gaming what it is today because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This ad is still amazing today. Genius marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Amazing how so many years later, that kid saying "and conquered worlds..." still manages to stare directly into my soul.

I feel like I'm commenting only on what happened. Maybe Sega could have been the standard bearer, but they weren't. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

I do think Sony brought in a few older people that would have become lapsed gamers with the PS1 but I don't think their marketing campaign created a brand new demograph. It's more that they completely dominated it with a great product and exceptional marketing. But I feel they still captured a core gamer market rather than creating a brand new one.

In a way nintendo might have more of a claim to creating a bigger demograph with the Wii and DS getting a lot more people into games that normally wouldn't. But you could also argue the same for the PS2 with it's DVD drive, eyetoy and general ubiquity and mobile gaming.

Nintendo created the world's greatest dust collector in the Wii! Joking. But by the time that came out, Sony had already "normalised" gaming for the masses.

Not sure that was really Sony again, more so Sony where the clear leaders and totally ubiquitous in the console space when the market coalesced into the modern gaming market (which I'd say would have happened in the PS2 era).

But if you look at competitors like the Xbox and GameCube they were pretty much the same as the ps2 and on PC which was fairly separate from the console market at the time it was heading in the same direction with little input from Sony.

I'd put more stock behind Sony changing the landscape with the ps1 than creating the modern gaming space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dunno, now that I see what others have posted, the lads have a fair point, I remember at the time, when there was this weird overlap of ecstasy, techno, and wip3out, and it was my first time seeing lads modding consoles into cars - it really felt like gaming had arrived.

I really believe that Sony normalised gaming for the masses. Sega tried, but had the worst management ever. Nintendo really seemed to focus on children. I mean Goldeneye had a ending where you visit the people you fought in hospital. Though there was the odd mature game, the overriding theme was child friendly games.

I'm not denying that. Just more refuting that Sony were the cause of this.

This wouldn't have happened in the 8 and 16 bit days because there was no market for games in the early twenties market. That only came about in the early 90s when kids that grew up with videogames got to that age group. Sony didn't create that age group but instead marketed hard into it.

Also we are looking from it from a European perspective. Sony's marketing In Europe was outstanding and did have that coolness and associated it with clubbing. It was very different in the states and Japan. In the states it was more inline with Sega's edgy marketing but the playstation still did just as well over there.

I'm not denying that gaming didn't start becoming mainstream with the ps1, it certainly did, it's more that Sony didn't create that demograph, it was there to be exploited and they would have been into games anyway. Just Sony was the one that exploited it to its fullest.

Anyway enjoying the conversation. It was a very exciting and interesting time for games.

As for Nintendo only marketing towards kids, they were trying hard for the same Sony and Sega market.... Too hard as in try hard. They had some awful cringey ads trying to ape Sony and Sega and never really pulled it off.

Good article on Sony's goals on becoming the complete entertainment company. Going as far as far as planning to become an entertainment hub for future electric vehicles (presumably as an entertainment hub for completely autonomous EVs and not to make an actual car as some are speculating)

oops sorry I just noticed the link can only be opened 3 times. First come first served...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Brilliant news if it means COD becomes exclusive to Xbox and PC. Buying a new PlayStation at launch will become a good bit easier in future. 😁

I kid (mostly), that is huge news though. Interested to see how it affects the public opinion of Microsoft if it goes through. They’ll recover from any bad press anyway so it’s largely irrelevant, but it might not be all that bad to begin with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement