Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DHL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a DHL return label from an online shopper based in Netherlands. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how I can get DHL to collect the parcel. I have the page printed off and on the package ready to go, but how do I arrange DHL to collect or get it sent off?

Thanks

Try here, click no, enter waybill number https://mydhl.express.dhl/ie/en/schedule-pickup.html#/schedule-pickup#label-reference

• Registered Users Posts: 9 droene

I ordered an item from the US and have received an email from DHL that I must pay an absolutely crazy import fee for my item to be released to me. Heres the breakdown of costs:

Total cost of item to me: €59.89 (including the €12.30 shipping)
    Their 'customs' fee: €37.49

Upon querying how they reached a 63% VAT rate I was informed they were not using the actual cost of shipping in their calculations, and instead a 'standard' amount of €51 in place of shipping (ie the value of the goods plus €51 for shipping which I did not pay). On top of this they are charging me a €15 admin fee.
    Surely they can't just make up higher values and pocket the difference? Is there anything I can do about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is the motoring buying and selling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Been there, you will find the the site T&C have a clause explaining that there will be additional charges

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moving to Online buying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

droene wrote: »
    I ordered an item from the US and have received an email from DHL that I must pay an absolutely crazy import fee for my item to be released to me. Heres the breakdown of costs:

Total cost of item to me: €59.89 (including the €12.30 shipping)
    Their 'customs' fee: €37.49

Upon querying how they reached a 63% VAT rate I was informed they were not using the actual cost of shipping in their calculations, and instead a 'standard' amount of €51 in place of shipping (ie the value of the goods plus €51 for shipping which I did not pay). On top of this they are charging me a €15 admin fee.
    Surely they can't just make up higher values and pocket the difference? Is there anything I can do about this?

If the paperwork doesn't show a shipping cost, couriers use an approved method from revenue to show a freight amount. With DHL it is 30% off their published tariff. TBH, €12.30 shipping from the US to Ireland for DHL ilooks way too low for a courier service anyway.
    They aren't "pocketing the difference" - The VAT collected goes to revenue, it is no benefit to DHL to show a higher freight amount, they don't charge it to anyone. Once your shipment was over the €22 threshold you were paying VAT and charges, their clearance fee is €15+VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

My post didn't make it over in the thread merge, but just pasting it here to correct whiterebels last point.

The total value cost for customs is based on Revenues rules that the value of goods used for customs purposes is the transaction value. This is the invoice price plus the cost of transport and insurance.

Where the sender does not include a value for Freight Charges on the invoice they supply to DHL, Customs, not DHL, assign a freight value based on DHLs export rate to the origin country less 30%.

Where the Customs value amount is less than €20 DHL's advance payment charge is €5. Where the Customs value amount is greater than €20 the advance payment charge charge is 2.5% of the customs value with a minimum charge €14.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone have issues with DHL using on post ?

Was returning a package to Germany with DHL and no issues picked up and delivered within 20 hours . Company returned correct product again with DHL with tracking it took again about 20 hours to get to Dublin but once it got into the On Post system it has slowed to snails pace. Nearly a week now with on post . DHL have said they handed it over and are waiting to here from on post .

I really don’t see how a package can get to Berlin in 20 hours yet it’s takes a week to travel 40km when it gets to Dublin .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It looks like 2 different systems - Export to Germany on Express; DHL pickup, DHL plane, DHL deliver in Germany. The import is picked up by DHL, trucked to Ireland (tracking shows An Post as the delivery tracking), but it may take 4/5 days to get to An Post, depending on what day it departs Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

Anyone else having delays from Germany to Ireland via dhl, waiting 3 weeks now for a parcel and I don't seem to be alone. They seem to be having slow domestic post as well. I thought things were improving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭handpref

I ordered a couple of dash cam mounts from Thinkware.EU, however the crowd hiding behind that address are actually in the UK. That meant I got hit for ‘customs’ fees by DHL.

The goods came to total of €31.65 including postage, DHL would not give me the package till I paid them €34.82.

The driver knew it didn’t add up and gave me a number to call, got through to someone who said they would follow it up but a week later I’m still waiting.

I will never buy anything again without fully checking where it’s coming from.

When I contacted the seller I pointed out that they should not be hiding behind a .EU web address. They responded saying that the UK was still located geographically in the EU...swines.

Thanks for the info on the €14.50 and 2.5%, now I’ve something to work from.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at their site, they don't hide the fact that they are based in GB. Their prices are also in pounds.

So it's wrong for you to claim that they are hiding behind a .EU domain (although they are now not entitled to a .EU domain).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭handpref

I hear you, it was entirely my own fault, I was wrong to assume that the Thinkware EU site was operating within the EU, I thought since brexit a UK company couldn’t claim to be part of the political entity that is the European Union, however I was wrong. I will be more careful in future. The Sterling pricing should have been a red flag but the initial EU site had me blinded.

The annoyance factor was probably exacerbated by DHL charging me a ridiculous ‘customs’ fee that was more than the value of the goods and postage combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've ordered items through Bestseller during the summer for vero moda, only and other brands from them and had no delays with delivery via dhl/an post, they either arrive from the Netherlands or Germany.

I ordered from Arnotts recently but the item I ordered is being delivered from the UK via DHL I'm assuming it be handed to anpost or it be delivered by DHL? Arnotts and Brown Thomas usually deliver via anpost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

If it's coming from the UK it will be delivered by DHL. The only packages that are delivered by An Post are Deutsche Post DHL deliveries (i.e. the German post service).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I would like to order something from USA and the company uses DHL. Does anyone know if it will be delivered to me by DHL in Ireland?

Reading here it seems everything goes to Germany first and is then handed over to the postal services for delivery, whereupon An Post here send it back to the original sender for reasons known only to them.

My second question is what is AddressPal for? I don’t understand what the benefit is in using an address that isn’t the address of supplier. Hmm, is it for individuals who don’t want their home address made public?

I should point out that I am not an online shopper so I don’t have all those little bits of knowledge that one acquires over years of shopping, so thank you for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

It will be delivered by DHL. It'll most likely be flown to DHL's hub in Leipzig and/or East Midlands and then on to Dublin or Shannon.

An Post only deliver parcels send by Deutsche Post DHL (the German equivalent of An Post, Royal Mail, PostNL etc.). The vast majority of these are sent from Germany but sometimes companies in neighbouring countries like Poland and the Netherlands send with Deutsche Post also.

All other parcels are DHL Express so will be delivered directly by DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thank you very much for such a concise reply. So nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Hi, just a quick one regarding DHL and one "stupid" charge (if anyone encountered this before):

So One major UK company sent me an item, they paid everything (well I did through their extortionate prices for us in RoI :D :D :D ), and now DHL doesn't want to deliver unless I pay 5€ for them to release the parcel. And I'm like WTF :D

Did anyone else perhaps encounter this before, and what are my options here?

When Amazon/screwfix etc. send me stuff, I have absolutely 0 worries about paying anything extra. But I guess DHL don't deliver for free here :D

See the forum charter: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057864037/charter-read-before-posting-update-6th-january-2021#latest . You may want to familiarise yourself with purchasing from outside the EU. Its more to do with the customer such as Amazon and Screwfix having it set up correctly with the courier.

Unless the shipper specifically told DHL that they were taking all charges, DHL would be looking for Customs Clearance charges. Go back to your shipper and ask them if they are taking all charges. If so, get them to contact DHL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Hi, i'm waiting on a package from MPB in Germany, according to the DHL tracking they received it on the 21st of jan, the last mention of it is on the 25th still in the DHL depot, there has been no update since the 25th, just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with orders from same.

Cheers.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I purchase from MPB a good bit and never have an issue but it does depend if the item is sent express or regular service.. regular is more like regular postage and express is 24h by courier. Anything I have received by regular service has taken between 4-5 working days . Live chat on MPB is very good and great to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Hi

I would really appreciate some guidance here. I purchased a product from UK and when I didn't receive it within a few weeks I contacted supplier who said it was being held by DHL for payment of import tax. That was 15th December. I contacted DHL on a number of occasions but the department dealing with payment not available at times I rang.

They finally gave me link to pay online and I did that in January. I contacted them yesterday to ask where my delivery was. Got an email this morning to say my product has been disposed of due to non payment of tax.

Anyone know my rights on this one please?

Many thanks. Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Did they take the money you gave them? Did they refund the money you gave them?

Did you contact the sender to say delivery never arrived?

What was total cost of delivery and extra fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Hi

I paid seller E15

I paid them E46 for import tax.

Thanks Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Thanks harr, i received my parcel this morning, panic over👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Ordered a rtx 3080 from uk and DHL just sent me a import duty free of €273.

Do I really need to pay this, this is just robbery.

If you are importing from outside the EU you will need to pay VAT and a customs clearance/vat outlay fee, and possibly duty. Unless the seller in the UK is paying the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Dear fellow members, I need an advice or a way to contact AnPost.

I have purchased goods in Germany which were posted via DHL express service. The parcel left Germany on the 13th of Sep and arrived to Ireland on the 15th. Last Thursday.

There has been no movement on the parcel since its scan in Ireland. See screenshots

I have rung AnPost customer service on 3 occasions. Zero Zero Help. First speaker could barely speak English, second person fobbed me of( it will be scanned tonight) and 3rd person told me we are busy and your parcel is in the warehouse, you will get it in a few days!! I mean who gives such answer?? This is a priority post.

Basically im in ridiculous hurry for the item and Anpost don't give a single duck! ( Its a blood pressure monitor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi all,

Young lad managed to persuade herself last week that he really, really, really wanted an Air Up bottle like many of his friends have, so I ordered one online last weekend. Said delivery normally 5 to 7 working days.

Received an email (in German) on Monday morning, with a DHL tracking number. Status at that time was: "The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically"

However, there's been no update since. On the face of it, would appear that all that's happened is the Air Up people told DHL where to send the package, but DHL have done nothing since then as regards actually getting it here.

On the other hand, I've seen it happen before with other things (usually coming from China) that "proper" updates wouldn't start until the item actually landed in this country.

Anyone any advice here, or seen anything similar with DHL before?

Thanks.

Advertisement