Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't be unhappy with that! Great bird to finish T3 with Kisner. There really was no catching the top 2 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That should be $442,500

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Another great week - Well done Seamus!! Super play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Pair of 65s at the weekend, can't ask for much more. Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

Seamus is up to 49 in the latest rankings. Lowry is 48th. You won't have to wait too long for him to overtake Lowry. Barring an inexplicable drop of form, the masters will surely have Seamus on the entrants list. What a run this man is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great result to wake up to, fair play to him. Can't see him dropping out of top 60 so that should be a US Open slot sorted too. Only entry for a major I'm unsure of is the Open, but would think he'll get in there given the position he's in.

Some turnaround from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

My Top 50 prediction came through fairly quick 😎.

Fantastic week for Seamus. So often in the past he would fade as he neared the finishing line, not any more. Playing with real confidence now. Well done to Seamus, an exciting year ahead for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

What another performance from Seamus again. It’s some funny game, when his putter got warm his irons cooled off a small bit yesterday. But up to 49th, shoots up the fedex list and banks nearly half a million dollars. What’s most impressive is he’s taking this all in his stride and that’s only a good thing.

An appearance in all four majors is definitely not out of the question and I think he’s probably got a British Open spot if he stays where he is now. Just unreal stuff for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭big_drive

Golf money is something else. Brilliant for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

At the top yes but down the line on Korn Ferry and fringes of DP/Challenge Tour you're looking at the vast majority only scraping by. That or needing sponsors/backing to give the circuit a punt. Caddies and travel are very expensive. Then add coaching, physio, training etc. It gobbles up winners cheques pretty sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He was 453rd this time last year. Now 48th!! That's an incredible turnaround for 34/35 year old.

And no coach!

He's going to win the The Masters isn't he!?

Seamus has almost earned as much in the last 8 months than he did in his first 10 years as a professional. I heard on the radio this morning that it’s not bad money for “a couple of days work”. That narrative always bugs me. It isn’t a couple of days work it’s 10 years or more of hard work to get into the position to earn that kind of money.

I’m just so delighted for him. He said last night in his interview afterwards that his Playoff spot is more or less secured after last night. He knew nothing about his work ranking points but he knew about that so it’s fairly clear what his target is. He wants to play in the Tour Chanpionship at the end of the year. He deserves every single bit of recognition he’s getting now and fair play to both him and his caddy, it’s well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wow what a turn around it has been for Seamus power.

I heard a podcast with him recently a couple of things stood out to me he mentioned that he has not got a coach and that it has allowed him to take ownership of his game, this certainly seems to have worked for Seamus.

Secondly he mentioned that he invested in a launch monitor in lockdown and that seems to have really took his game to the next level you would think that all pros would have one of these but apparently not.

Thirdly he mentioned that he has stopped trying to hit shots like Tiger Woods with his irons like draws and fades depending on where the pin is and now just hit a fade everywhere.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Ya I seen a interview with Jason Day before, he has a serious set up over there apparently but he mentioned that some of the top Pro's wouldn't even have a putting mat at home! I found that mad....

Onto Seamus, what a few months it has been. Loved that comment about trying to strike a ball like tiger. A few of us mere golf mortals could take that advice too 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭OEP

I think he used to use Trackman but then switched to GCQuad which gives some more/different info

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Wow what a turnaround in fortunes for Seamus. Went to bed after his tenth, knowing he couldn't win but hoping he'd get a top 5. Apart from Henley the leaderboard was fairly packed at that stage. So to finish joint third, to be inside the top 50 in the World Rankings, to be 14th in the FedEx and looking like his place in the playoffs is already secured and we're only in January is unreal. He started off like a train last night and brilliant that he finished so strong as well. Sky is the limit at this stage. Couldn't believe Henley didn't win it, his play in those first 9 holes was out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

You lasted one hole longer than me. I went to bed after he missed the eagle putt on 9. It looked at that stage that the field was beginning to swallow him up a little but fair play for sticking at it and finishing well. He is looking a lot more comfortable in contention now. I think that this ties up his position in WGC matchplay (top 64?).

Top 50 in the world means he gets in to everything. Some turnaround for him. Playoff spot locked up and as it stands he’s in the four majors. Not only all that but he’s earning serious money too which is important.

His career earnings are heading for $6m after being just a shade under $3m this time last year. I think one more top 10 finish and he beats his earnings record in a season and he’s only played 7 events this season. There’ll be a film made about this fella yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seamus seems to have been doing some serious work on his game too. I thought he was a “flakey” putter early last year and his driving was a bit off but he sank some serious putts this week and his driving was excellent. Delighted for him as he seems very composed and has a nice quiet personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

The trick is staying inside the top 50 now until the cutoff for the Masters. He's in such good form that you'd hope he can get a few more good results in the next few weeks. Getting into the WGC matchplay is a help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The top 50 really is the inner circle. Play well in the limited field events and its almost a closed shop. If he wins one match at the WGC Matchplay that will help hugely too.

A few months ago he would have missed that one on the last for tied 3rd. He looks a different player now and not just someone on a hot run. His consistently top class play has been over a period too long now to call it a run.

Well done Seamus, great to have another likeable Irishman to route for in the big events and run of the mill too of course! 👏

The top 50 is where it’s at. It opens so many doors for the lesser players in terms of tournaments but also commercially as well. His earning potential has increased significantly now but he needs to keep the foot down.

One comment he made yesterday evening is that he knew he was good enough but just didn’t get the opportunities to play. 12 months ago the talk on this thread between us was let’s hope he makes the cut, then it moved on to let’s hope he gets top 20. It’s great to see how far he’s come and I swear outside of this thread, it’s like the man didn’t exist until April 2021. But he’s on everyone’s radar now and it’s great to see him getting the adulation for what he’s achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭OEP

I hope he has some sponsorship contracts up for renegotiation soon

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seamus now 2nd ranked Irishman in world rankings list, another olympics and world cup of golf coming up for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think Lowry is still just about ahead of him probably not for long though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Saw the stat that he's the 10th Irish man ever to crack the top 50 rankings, in pretty good company

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

Lowry, McIlroy, Harrington, McDowell, Darren Clarke, McGinley ??, Des Smyth?? , who else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

Did Paul dunne sneak in there briefly? Philip Walton and Eamon D'Arcy I expect were. Could Peter lawrie have been in after winning the Spanish open?

Advertisement