Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1883 - Paramount+ US Pace (***Spoilers***) Yellowstone prequel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ho Yeah! That's Taylor Sheridan for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

how many will die of dysentery?

Another beautifully filmed Taylor Sheridan show it just looks stunning showing off the wilds of America and with strong scenes of violence of the times it is set.

The opening double episode sets up the settling of wild west America just after the civil war.

Nice surprising guest cameos from Tom Hanks and Billy Bob Thornton as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭moby2101

EPIC

what an opening 2 episodes. Raw and intense, the cameos will continue ,some serious A listers have been signed up to appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,836 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It set new records for Paramount+ with its premiere on Sunday night posting numbers for it's debut that were double any previous premiere in the history of the streaming network

1: Well, that's some raw feeling wild west! Solid opener.

Then for the story, like..

the opening showed her during the attack and getting hit by the arrow, the other woman getting scalped!

Yeah, I don't think a lot of these folks are gonna make this trip like the pinkerton says (can't believe I know pinkerton as a word already.. thanks Ripper Street! and I think one or two other places)

anyway, so now she's narrating.. I assume she survives this attack. Not sure the father is dead there. It's just a bit wierd to have started there and then be hearing he narrating. I'm guessing it'll tie together.

So, they are starting in Texas.. going to Oregon which is North West but I'm guessing they end up in Montana for a Yellowstone tie in.. so they'll end up going less West for some reason or maybe hear about Montana on the way to Oregon.

2: Me at the start of this episode - They're using that grim dark changing-scenes noises from the yellowstone show, I'm not sure it fits

Me at the end of this episode - Yeah no, that's fine.. as you were.

f**kin hell

Cool cameos. Especially the first shorter one.

Not sure if Hanks will show up again but seeing more of that side would probably be cool.

Anyway, story wise, things are moving along. All I can guess really is

that they'll likely end up somewhere North by Northwest (pun not intended). Hard to know who could be trusted, who could survive, shur it all feels like it's up in the air for everyone. Maybe the core family father-mother-daughter-and-son have a better chance for being main characters but who knows.

03: Maybe I'm seeing too much but it felt like a little tie-in with the latest Yellowstone in this one.

When the mother talked about it not being fair on the daughter.. and then I remembered John Dutton in Yellowstone saying about their being No such thing as fair.

Right anyway,

I guess she's got her eyes set on this cowboy

Aside from that, I think the noticeable thing I spotted was how the father kinda reminds me of Rip from Yellowstone a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Seems strange that they’ve gone to the trouble of the women having armpit hair, yet they overlooked everyone having perfect teeth and the girl having very obviously bleached/dyed hair

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought about that. Everyone has great teeth. I guessed it was a trade off the show decided in order to allow for romancing later on 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can't find a thread fir this show.its from the Yellowstone universe, yes there's a Dutton in it.

Good cast with Tim McGraw, Same Elliott and Faith Hill. I believe Billy Bob Thornton is in it as well but he wasn't in the first episode.

Watched the first episode and was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watched the first 3 episodes and its very good so far.

Really well made.

4: Ah Beethoven. Never had much interest in the happy ones..

Show bedding down now. More into the journey than a bunch of shoot-em-up events.

Second she started playing Beethoven.. a whole bunch of uh-ohs started going off in my head. I think it reached a peak of wondering .. more doubting but wondering all the same.. if something was going to happen to the mother.

It's beauitfully filmed and looks stunning and does show the burtality of a wagon trail.

I would however say if it was a bit more Deadwood dirty and gritty I think we would see a closer look at what it might have been like.

The pinao playing as they crossed the river so so haunting.

5: Well...

That .. yeah.

I mean .. yeah.

Red Flags with them finding the campfire and spotting the six horses earlier on..

but like.. ALL THE RED FLAGS when the word Love started getting thrown around all over the place and everything started going so well... I was just like.. who's gonna die.. can't be either of the Women, they were in the Prologue. Certainly explains why the cowboy wasn't there.

Ah man I know it was telegraphed for the whole episode but that was still a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It was way too obvious , could see it happening a mile away.

Could they not have waited for another episode or two.

She'll be pregnant with a son who will have the Dutton surname and be the ancestor of Yellowstone Dutton's.

I believe her brother may be John’s great grandfather.

• Advertisement

Although having watched the episode last night.

There’s a flash back to 188x in season 4 of Yellowstone where we see John Dutton with his son James (the grandfather who established Yellowstone) and another boy, Spencer who’s younger.

We haven’t seen Elsa in any of the flashbacks. In the opening of 1883, we see her take an arrow to the stomach, and she hasn’t featured in any flashbacks, (neither has Margret), it’s possible she’s dead and James is raising her son by that point although his Son John is still the grandfather.

6: So, I think they are moving more Northwards than West. Rolling along into

Indian Territory. At the start they mentioned Oklahoma Terroritories so I went checkin for a map from around 1883 and the results came back with Oklamhoma up at the top of Texas but at the time it was labelled as Indian Territory.. so that explains Elsa saying Indian Territory at the end.

Leavin the river crossing to next episode.. hrmmm.. I dunno. They hardly want to kill off another bunch of settlers.. they seemed to be setting it up to keep it as safe as they could

So I guess I was wrong about Spencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Watched the first two episodes on Sunday. One of the most enjoyable tv shows in recent times imo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the worst bit was her using the same "pretty" line on the new fella that the dead fella used on her back at the start.

7: Well well well, look who it is! 🙂

Mr Taylor Sheridan his self.

Down to two wagons.. yeeshhh.. but heaps of horses and .. I think.. most of the cows.

They'll hardly turn back. I dunno.

I think this new love interest.. Sam .. seems to be a possible future ally. Maybe him and others are a turn-up to save the day for the scene at the very start of the season.

There at the end

That dude with a shotgun pointing at him.. blood pouring outta his wound and he all like.. gimme yah horse. What an idiot.

Well the handsome native american.

She is taking to this whole kissing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Tis a bit Schmaltzy McHokey but while I don't watch 'Yellowstone' I'm really enjoying '1883'.

Taylor Sheridan could become the present-day version of Stephen J. Cannell.

8: Right, I had to look it up. Ben Richardson (IMDB) co-directed that episode with Taylor Sheridan. He has a mountain of experience as a Cinematographer and has worked on many Sheridan projects before. I just.. I just had to look it up. Some very impressive scenes and set pieces with the scenery, the focus on peoples faces, the shot of the moon!, the galaxy above during one of the evening scenes! The dude was just let rip and well.. what a delivery!

The story itself felt like it was setting up the pieces for the next .. phase? .. maybe season?

There's two episodes left this season.. and well..

Someone falling in love... no one dying.. everything on the up.. I'm pretty sure I saw smiles and happiness..

So.. obviously in a Sheridan project.. this seems very ominous!

Feels like maybe it's getting close to that opening scene in the season. Some reason to change course from Oregon to Montana

So yeah.. let's see where this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

yeah the whole native american segue reeked of revisionism. I just don't believe they would allow a young woman to hang around with them. In contrast Deadwood had their characters be fearful and horrible to indians, which was probably more realistic.

Advertisement