Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Killer Nanny: Did she do it?

• 13-01-2022 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if anyone watched this? But I thought it was rather decent 3 episodes on channel 4.

Blurb

Series re-examining the evidence from British au pair Louise Woodward's murder trial 25 years ago. Includes unprecedented access to witnesses, the defence team, the prosecution and members of the jury who decided her fate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd been meaning to watch it but will try to catch up on more 4 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I watched it, no I don't think she shook him, it was well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I was left with the opposite opinion. Having been unsure years ago, looking at it now, I think she was responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was always on the fence about whether she did it or not - if I had to say now - I think it is more likely she did it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember this case well, huge media frenzy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think she did it, a very strange girl who is seriously lacking in maturity, empathy and sense. Something must have came to light when she moved in with her lawyer because she saw sense and realised this isn’t the innocent little girl I thought she was. Sure she admitted to shaking the child, and you minimise your actions when accused so I’ve no doubt in my mind that she was in a temper all day and took it out on the poor wee child.

How did she pick up a small infant, grab him around the body or under the arms and shake him as violently as was required to give him brain damage without leaving a single bruise on him anywhere? If she lost her temper with him she would have squeezed him very tightly first and then shook him, there'd have to be other signs of violence. The reason herself and her lawyer fell out was because of her greedy parents selling her story to the rags.

I think she likely shook the baby (not that much)...after dropping him and banging his head.

There's no evidence of her having dropped him, no external cuts or bruising.

Baby dropped head first on hard floor, doubt thet would lead to cuts etc.

• Advertisement

AHH stop, the skull would show impact damage. Evidence is the key word here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I was disappointed that the elephant in the room, the alleged evidence of old injuries, was not discussed further. I would like to have an exploration of the possible scenarios...was there an implication that the parents might have been abusive (or for that matter the nanny herself on more than one occasion), or that the poor child might have had a genetic bone /connective tissue condition?

It wasn't alleged, there was evidence of an earlier brain incident I would like to have seen that explored further too. The doctor who later changed his stance seemed to imply it was a type of brain condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

One part which has aged terribly is the footage of the village pub in UK with them all cheering and shouting. The person who led the campaign commented on how it looks now. I also found her comments a bit strange, kind of "something must have happened that day" and its almost like she has changed her view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I used the word "alleged" because I'm not qualified to discern whether the scans showed what the defence claimed, not in a pejorative sense. Maybe there was a better word I could have used.

There's no point in getting bogged down in use of words etc, like yourself I was disappointed they didn't explore that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I remember watching it live at the time, she never convinced me, she admitted early on to being a bit rough with the child - I was shocked when she was released tbh.

Advertisement