Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT cert for 2 years, old car

Options
  • 09-01-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I have seen a few wise guys with this. 2 year NCT cert, on a 20 year old car.

Never knew about this option - take test 90 days before your old one expires, can get a 2 year cert issued.

"How do I get 2 years NCT?

If they test their cars more than 90 days before the due NCT date they will get a two-year certificate. If they don't, they will get one year as cars over 10 years old have to be tested annually"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Only works if the car is between 9 and 10 years old and even then you get 21 months.

for younger cars you do when it’s due and get 2 years, older and you get 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

example i saw today, 2005 reg car

cert valid until 02/23

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you put the reg in to NCT website does the expiry date match?

I know classic cars at 30 years have NCT every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Must be an exempt vehicle then. There is no trick to get 2 years nct for vehicle over 10 years old.

its a valid cert, see above what I pulled from NCT website.

did not see any disabled permit on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

There is one way, if the car is over 30 years old you get a 2 year nct.

Yeah they just did it within the 3 month window for doing it early,

its 2022 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's different, similar to the vehicles I mentioned in my posts.

The op is talking about 05 registered car. Unless it is exempt /special vehicle or whatever it is called there is no way for regular 05 car to get 2 years test.

Chances are it did it’s test in the last month or so and got 13/14 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

The 90 day rule has been around since the NCT started. 2 years tests are only available on vehicles under 10 years old and those between 30-40 years old.

In your example OP, at the moment the 2005 car could have gotten a maximum 15 months duration if they tested 90 days prior to the due date. When it's 30 years old, they can get a maximum of 27 months duration by testing 90 days early.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,123 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea it would have been 02/24 if it was for two years.

OK, that explains it.

Still, who wants to do the NCT 3 months early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jmreire

Some one whose car might pass the test now, but not in 2 or 3 mths time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I always do mine up to 90 days early (it is important to note it is 90 days... not 3 months). Gets it out of the way and I usually get a 26 or 27 month cert which means I don't have to worry for quite some time. It is handy as the 90 days might fall at a time when the NCTS is not too busy so I get my pick of appointments instead of having to beg for a reasonable time or look for a cancellation closer to the expiration date of my cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I always do my tests within the 90 days as when it fails which is always true I have time to get the work done and retest rather than someone who comes on here complaining about a money racket as they waited till the last minute to get tested and then fail. So they have to drive without NCT for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Always try to get my car through the NCT a month to two months before it's due to allow time for any repair and retest that might be needed when it's first tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since the majority of cars for the NCT are due in January it's always easier to get tests in Nov or Dec than January. My car is due the end of March and when I checked a few weeks ago there where no dates available before the end of Feb, so I booked it in. I'd moved it to Nov when it was 10 to get the extra years NCT but with the extensions due to COVID I got moved back to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Mine was always due in feb but i used to get it done in november,now pushed out to june due to covid got the letter in the door letting me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement