Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lame duck, OT again and maybe a lady in a bubble: The Late Late Show 14th January 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I'd have fear myself in certain areas at certain times of the day. If I was walking from work after 7pm I'd be keeping the eyes peeled as to who was within walking distance of me behind, similarly coming off the Nitelink back in the day I'd be scanning the area, anyone not aware of the risk is a touch sheltered from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree. It’s too forced . And just way OTT, and her death has sickened me. But it appears to be getting hijacked now by many to push an agenda and narrative; a very divisive one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This trad session is brilliant.

can we have a trad seisiun every week instead of the rubbishy guests the LL often gets

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE thrives on disease whether of the body and mind and then on death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭jackboy

The fear is real though so it has an impact. I suppose the equivalent for men would be if they lived somewhere where 50% of the population were openly carrying guns and you have no way of knowing who the crazies are.

• Advertisement

The uilleann pipes are pure sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think twice about goingplaces but I'm always scanning my surroundings doesn't matter where I am, looking at cars passing,reg numbers, never wear headphones,taking a quick glance behind me if someone passes me. It's not that I'm afraid of been attacked because the chances of that are probably pretty slim but more so just been aware of what's going on around me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Sorry but I find Tubridy’s comment that a lot of people are grieving tonight to be completely….wrong.

The people who are grieving are Ashling’s family, friends and work colleagues. That’s real grief.

Random people on Twitter do not f*cking matter.

I think it is terribly sad, but I can't say I am grieving as Tubridy claimed.

If I was to grieve for every person I never met or knew, then it would be a lifetime of grief, I think its really the most awful situation for her family, friends, colleagues and the people who knew who to be in.

I knew a person who was murdered, he ran a shop, got shot during a robbery, would talk to him every week, a very nice and pleasant man, because I knew him that had a bigger impact.

It feels weird that we are being basically told we have to hijack the real grief of others and make it our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus people have some respect of course they are not blaming all men she was just speaking a stupid trope. They would not have had all the men on the show otherwise.

These types of killings in the middle of the day that are vicious are going to get talked about it only happened yesterday for crying out loud. Also I though there be a bit of Sself respect by some here about getting excited over a killing but apparently not.

All of these types of killing gets hyped as how young and senless but ye can rest assured it will calm down soo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Has Tubridy confirmed which charity he'll be pressuring the competition winner to donate to this week?! Hopefully it's a good one! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tubridy might mean well, but the “we’re all grieving” sounds kind of insulting to those who are actually grieving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭rightmove

rte have behaved terrible on this topic. They are a disgrace

87% of attacks are by men who know their victims, very rarely is it a random punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nolleen doesn’t like men

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I go for a walk every morning before work, the oul mental health and all that. Its dark when I leave and dark when I get back. Anyway the other morning - prior to Ashlings murder in tullamore - a woman came out from an estate and walked straight in front of me. I was super conscious of her nervousness - I had to pass her - no path on the othersode of the road for me to cross over and get around. I was walking quicker than her and obviously gaining. She kept looking over her shoulder. What do I do? Match her pace and hang back - but then I'm stalking her? Eventually, I caught up, gave her a wide berth and passed - she jumped as I did. I understand 100% her nervousness, but what's going to happen in future? Does she ring the guards? Does she turn around and scream or mace me? Should I stay at home when it's dark? Will a squad car arrive at my door because I'm seen to have intimidated someone?

This is a mindless and shocking murder, no doubt about that. Hopefully it opens up the debate about how women feel when out and about, and how this can be addressed, but also men just going about their business innocently could quickly end up in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭archfi

I agree with this woman re speaking of the extra threat on the basis of gender (sex)

I hope she and all others apply that to the concerns about the preservation of single SEX spaces.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭maximus15

Man was beaten up and robbed on local Greenway recently in broad daylight . It has instilled abit of fear in myself running on this part of Greenway and am over 6 foot and 16 stone so it's bit insulting most speeches this week is gender bias after Ashlings death .

Every so often a death strikes a chord like Sarah everard, Jill Meagher and this week's which sees mass public outcry but they never should be seen as women versus men .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

My God these people

The narcissism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

RTE had clips from a vigil earlier on in Dublin or Limerick or somewhere and there was a young woman on the verge of tears saying she got murdered for no other reason than she was a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It almost reminds me of an episode of Black Mirror somehow.

I was flicking through Instagram & Twitter earlier. Vigils being held in shopping centres in another county. The various hashtags. The use of terms such as we've just heard: "quote unquote rare" crime.

It's surreal.

Lucky people are working from home this weather, the usual wafflers would make the place unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A thundering disgrace, those who doubt it, should have been listening to the claptrap on the live line the past few days, it was outrageous 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

How many men out on bail are committing attacks on women? Can we have those stats please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tubridy is a sadist and a virtue signalling addict.

You cant legislate for rare and tragic events like what happened this week, there will always be psychopaths at large.

I am going to watch the Hunger Games soon, Katniss Everdeen would not talk like these women.

These women project extreme weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

All people should be vigilant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement