Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slurry agitators. Best one to purchase.

• 14-01-2022 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

I am considering buying a agitator for my own use. It will be doing a 3 bay doubles side shed. Currently I get a contractor in. This is fine as my contractor is very good. But like everything else it would be nice to do it myself at a time that suits me particularly this time of the year when you have to move cattle out of shed for each tank. I also do Find the cattle are that bit more difficult to handle when they see other tractors/people in the yard.

I have a 90hp tractor. What would be a suitable match for it. Also what makes do you recommend. I think a good secondhand agitator is hard got so I am thinking I may have to consider a new machine. Any idea on costs?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Who2

An nc 3000 would be ideal if going new, cross agitators seem a well made machine either. They seem to be the pick of them. To be honest I wouldn’t think it’s worth investing for a three bay shed but everyone to their own. It’s a hungry machine power wise and will take washing and someone to draw water in most instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Thanks for the reply Who2. You are probably right. Probably find better things to spend the money on. But it's one of them jobs I would like to be able to do myself. That time of the year when you start thinking about the slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Agitating is a power hungry job. 90hp really isn't enough. Contractor makes it look easy but he's going to be using a 6 cylinder tractor with a bigger agitator that justs horses it's way through it.

Yes you could get it done with a smaller agitator but you'll still burn far more diesel than a 200hp tractor plus you could end up fu**ing up your tractor.

Add on the price of a slurry tank to spread too, plus if you've only 1 tractor it's a pure balls hitching on and off an agitator if you have to go and get more water. An agitator is just about the most awkward piece of gear to hook onto a tractor.

I bought a HiSpec about 6 years ago. They have a version for 80-110hp tractor (just means the gearbox has a lower ratio) I'm using a 110hp case and it gives it all it's time to get the job done. Cost €3200 back then, fully Galvanized. It's over €5k for a new one today

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Think I might stick with the contractor. Do not want to break the auld tractor either. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Have a Conor or a Belmac (not certain which) here running off 100HP. My father would always do the agitating himself but I got my contractor in to do it last year. He had 2 tanks done in an hour and a half. Would normally take the day with our own between hitching on and off tank for water. He didn't cost much more than the diesel for my own tractor and none of the hardship. Had to bring in a few tanks of water for him but that was it.

Used the agitator later in the year for the smaller mixes and is dead handy for that. Usually turn the shoots in for a week when the cattle are out so the stuff is very wet anyway. Will get contractor to do the first round of agitation from now on though and just give it a spin myself when I want a few loads during the year.

Maybe if pick up a suitable second hand you might manage similar but for the first mix it is pure hardship on tractor and man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

+1 Good advice there. Mind your tractor is what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A stir or 2 in the winter and early spring is a great job. Just makes it easier to move. Load of water. Either from the gutters on leave a trough running over night. The tap of a water trough turned on running on night rate is dirt cheap and a quick way of getting water into the tank. Leaving a full tank unstirred until April may or June, with cattle gone out, is a receipe for trouble. A heavy crust forms, the water sink and solids float and start to dry. When cattle are in the shed they are stirring a bit every time dung and urine goes into the tank. That stir for 15 mins in a small 3 bay tank in Jan or Feb and again in March, could be difference in sparing half a day agitating when going to empty the tank

I do all my own slurry here, over 250k gallons. Traded a 20year old small abbey for a bit bigger redrock 18 months ago. Had to give 3k with it. Be very careful with secondhands as they are machine, that wouldnt get regular care in many places.

Wouldnt be without it as it gives great flexibility as to when slurry goes out, according to ground conditions and growth. Relying on contractor is tricky as the numbers of them around here are dropping and they have many irons in the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 35 international xl

At home a 100 hp drives a Nc 3800 it’s on its knees but great as good workout for engine the tractor would also draw the slurry out as well and to top ot off would feed all the cows usually that day as well did that routine for over a decade and was not stressed as loader was easy on off as was pump this year might have to change routine as there is trailing shoe to pull up to 09 it was a rossmore pump we used a small 60hp would drive that no problem only thing is pto on off gave mine to my cousin and still going strong often I see them for sale they are a really good machine

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

The chain driven major agitators were easily worked with 90 hp and did an excellent job . I had one up to a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

With the year that's in it and fert prices so high there's a lot to be said to be able to tip along with a few loads after cattle leave a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We have used slurry bugs in the past and they did help with the stirring and smell. However recent years, we have been tight on space and took out a few loads of water from the tank, below the crust. Makes it pure torture to stir after.

If you have space to add water or will makes things easier to stir.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Did you buy a Redrock Superflow by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That's the one, had an abbey 250. Night and day between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Contractor if u getting alot out at a time ,but going forward with fertilizer prices, it's looks like little and often will be happening, I find it handy doing paddocks after moving cows, running a nc2500 on a 85 hp tractor the last 6 years ,

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

What's contractor's charging for mixing and spreading?

Which of the agitators would have the largest sweep area for the output spout?

We have a centralised mixing point in a tank and only able to get in from one discretion. So pay is the tank never gets directly hit with the spout.

Also, would anyone know the dimensions of the base of the cross agitator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

What make is that, sounds like a prick of a yoke, have a 2008 Hi Spec agitator here, it has at least 270 degrees sweep around so can easily agitate in both directions as all agitators should I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Had a call last night from a man looking for his tanks to be agitated.his usual contractor just change his old agitator for a new cross and now can't get the prop to fit into his man holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

it’s just under 800 mm

Advertisement