Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Forum's Favourite Christmas Sweet - THE FINAL

• 10-01-2022 10:21am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's time for our first tournament of the year and while we've done the best tub of sweets, we are now voting for our favourite individual sweet at Christmas.

Are you a Malteaser Teaster fan from celebrations? Do you go bananas for Bounty? Are you stuck on Toffee Pennies from Quality Street, craving some country fudge from Roses?

The Rules

1. Maximum of 5 nominations allowed.
    2. If you don't know the official name of a sweet a description is allowed and we will figure out a name for it so others can nominate it too.
    3. Nominations of 3 plus will be giving priority for the knockouts.
    4. Sweets outside of the usual big 4 tubs will also be considered but must be known for their popularity at Christmas time.

So there you have it, go forth and nominate!! Nominations will continue for a week or whenever they dry up, whatever comes first haha.

Post edited by Loughc on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭DvB

1. Toffee finger - QS
    2. Fudge (the purple/pink one) - QS
    3. Malteaser - Celebrations
    4. Coconut - QS
    5. Galxy Choc - Celebrations
    Post edited by DvB on
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A quick guide for Noms, here's what's currently in the tins.

Quality Street

• "The Purple One" (previously known as Hazel in Caramel) – Milk Chocolate filled with hazelnut and caramel (purple wrapper)
    • "The Green Triangle" (previously known as Noisette Triangle) – milk chocolate filled with hazelnut praline (green wrapper, foil)
    • Toffee Finger (gold wrapper, stick)
    • Strawberry Delight (red wrapper, circular)
    • Caramel Swirl (yellow wrapper, circular, foil)
    • Milk Choc Block (green wrapper)
    • Orange Chocolate Crunch (orange wrapper, octagonal, foil)
    • Orange Creme (orange wrapper)
    • Fudge (pink wrapper)
    • Coconut Eclair (blue wrapper)
    • Toffee Penny (gold wrapper, circular)

Heroes

Roses

• Golden Barrel - Milk chocolate in the shape of half a barrel, filled with caramel (gold wrapper). Previously named Caramel Keg.
    • Caramel - Cadbury Caramel Toffee piece. Soft toffee encased in Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate (blue wrapper).
    • Country Fudge - Rectangular fudge piece, coated in milk chocolate (light brown wrapper).
    • Hazel in Caramel - Crescent-shaped milk chocolate with hazelnut plant engraving on top, filled with caramel and a hazelnut (purple wrapper). A recent market poll showed that this was the most popular variety in Ireland, by a margin of two-to-one over the next, the Golden Barrel (Caramel Keg).
    • Hazel Whirl - Dome-shaped milk chocolate, patterned with spiral twirl, with hazelnut in centre (purple wrapper with orange edges).
    • Strawberry Dream - Square-shaped milk chocolate with strawberry seed engravings on top, filled with strawberry-flavoured cream fondant (pink wrapper). The same poll which determined that the 'Hazel in Caramel' variety was most popular in Ireland also showed this as being rated the 'worst' variety.
    • Tangy Orange Creme - Square-shaped milk chocolate with orange moulded on top, filled with orange-flavoured creme fondant (orange wrapper).
    • Signature Truffle - New for Christmas 2013, this is a truffle encased in milk chocolate (red wrapper with blue edges).

Celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

My votes, in order of preference, are....

Snickers- Celebrations

Eclair- Celebrations

Strawberry Delight- QS

Orange Creme- QS

Orange Chocolate Crunch- QS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bounty- Celebrations

Fudge- Heroes

Caramel- Roses

Orange Choc crunch- QS

As you can see I have no brand loyalty 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Mine:

Bounty - Celebrations

Toffee Finger - QS

Eclair - Heroes

Fudge (Pink Wrapper) - QS

The Purple One - QS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Toffee Finger - QS

Malteasers - Celebrations

Crunchie - Heroes

Galaxy - Celebrations

Toffee Penny - QS

I'm still annoyed that they got rid of the second chocolate toffee (in the brown wrapper) in QS last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My top five are:

1. Toffee finger - Quality Street
    2. Galaxy - Celebrations
    3. Malteasers - Celebrations
    4. The Purple One - Quality Street
    5. Toffee Penny - Quality Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

1. Toffee Finger (gold wrapper, stick)
    2. The Purple One
    3. Hazel Whirl
    4. Éclair
    5. Toffee Penny 

Looks like a lot of us like our toffees!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Better get my own in;

1. Strawberry Delight - QS
    2. Caramel Swirl -QS
    3. Strawberry Dream - Roses
    4. country fudge - Roses
    5. Bounty - Celebrations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Strawberry Delight 🤢 You've gone down in my estimation, @Loughc 😜

Looks like CL and I will be sharing the Bounties on a forum get together!!

Strawberry delight and caramel swirl sitting in my rejects tub!

I actually prefer the QS coconut to the bounty in celebrations, there's more coconut in the QS one... nom nom!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

20 Unique sweet nominations in.... any more takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Oh forgot this!

1. Toffee finger

2. Toffee penny

3. Scots clan (if allowed)

4. Emmerald toffees ( if allowed)

5 Raffaello

Possibly need a trip to the dentist soon!

Oh, thought we were limited to the tubs, Scots clan would be up there for me big time.

Rule 4. Sweets outside of the usual big 4 tubs will also be considered but must be known for their popularity at Christmas time.

😉

i’ll allow more noms even if you voted if you want to vote for outside the big 4.

Scots clan for me for sure!

• Advertisement

Scots Clan here too

Do Ferrero Rocher count?

A vote for Ferrero Rocher too so. Even though I'm not an ambassador 😉

You’re really spoiling us with this nomination ambassador 😉

Which one? Theres the dark ones, white ones & normal ones in the variety boxes 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

• Strawberry Dream ( Roses)
    • Tangy Orange Creme (Roses)
    • Galaxy Caramel ( Celebrations)
    • Maltesers Teaser ( Celebrations)
    • Golden Barrel ( Roses)

Only the original ones, the rest are manky 😂 White "chocolate" is a crime against humanity!

Agree on the white chocolate... its positively offensive to my taste buds, but I disagree on the dark ones, I love Dark chocolate, easily my favourite chocolate type.

Same, dark choc all the way.

Is good for you :)

• Advertisement

Guinness & Dark choc, the only 2 treats that are actually good for you... or so I keep telling myself anyway 😂

Advertisement