Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage 2022

• 13-01-2022 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

It might be a bit early in the year but I said I’d start off the silage 2022 thread now and see what lads are planning for this year.

In zone A here so slurry spreading allowed from today.

Putting out 2,000 gallons/acre of pig slurry on silage ground today. Weanlings came off it on Christmas Eve and I can’t believe the growth on it in the 3 weeks since. Planning on putting another 2,000 gallons of cattle slurry in a month or 6 weeks time, weather dependant, and maybe just a bag or bag and a half of nitrogen. Cut early then and repeat.

Take a little and often approach and it’s easy use it for grazing if needed as well. As long as cattle aren’t stool in sheds in May I’ll have enough silage in the yard until next Christmas so a few light cuts should do me fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

You getting the pig slurry for free so far? Zone C here, pig booked to come here for free, so will start looking it any day, it won't be there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

This year it's going to be very interesting what type of yields and are they late for anyone using slurry only. I had one meadow last year that had 14 bales/acre of dry well wilted stuff 1st cut then 7 bales/acre for second crop with a further 4 bales/acre 3rd crop. 1st cut was overgrown but this was due to it getting a double dose of fertilizer by mistake. I can't imagine getting anything near that output this year with no bag fertilizer

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

That field must of been black with bales. 8 bales chopped, wilted and from a fusion is a good crop here. You must have someone else spreading your fertilizer to make a mistake.

Wouldn’t quality of silage / hayledge drop off dramatically over say 8 or 9 bales to the acre?

Wouldnt it be very stemmy etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Spreading 3k gallons of slurry on silage ground atm

will spread 80 units N on it in 2 splits and cut it mid may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

Will spread 3k gallons of cattle slurry this month and top up with 60 units in mid/late March

will cut before May 10th

Yes it was desperate heavy, a kind of garden meadow that I put out 3 bags/acre then the young fella went over it again about 2 weeks after with another 3 bags. Quality was shite too, loads of docks through it but they were as big as jungle plants that the cows don't eat so I'm everyday filling a wheelbarrow full of dock stems.

that Maize silage on ear to the ground looks like savage feeding. That was some crops that they managed to grow last year. It was like something you'd see out in Iowa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Plan on going out to silage ground with dribble bar early to mid March and two bags of can a couple of weeks after weather depending. Hope for the best after that. Will only need one cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have the Sheep grazing it now, will have them off in 2 weeks and bring in for lambing and give slurry in late February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Will you graze it first? Would always try to graze first even the start of April, don't always manage but try to

Aim to get slurry out on as much as ground as possible and graze every thing and fertilise for silage then when situation is clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yes pig slurry is free and I’m lucky that the piggery is about 100 yards from my silage ground so I got the whole lot covered today.

I don’t think this particular piggery has any intention of charging for slurry but it’s a first come first served basis so I said I better get in early. There’s a 3,000 gallon tank drawing from it every day since Christmas now, first filling tanks for a beef + sheep man that had empty tanks in his own yard and now filling a new lagoon for a tillage farmer. He’ll probably take 500,000 gallons. There’s another bigger tillage farmer that’ll start drawing soon as well so the place won’t be long emptying then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I get it delivered by lorry and tank, its drew free of charge during winter months, when piggery is under pressure, but usually there's an 80 euro charge in summer when every man is looking it.

Maps to cover the slurry leaves it free too, unlike farms that can't supply maps.

Get as much as you can anyway if possible, as you say, first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Piggery near here is charging €48 per 1000 gals

Even at €80 it’s still not bad value delivered into your yard, most lorries bring about 6,000 gallons.

I’ll hopefully get time next week to draw some to the grazing ground but unfortunately the draw is much longer, the shortest being a 6 mile round trip, longest 8 miles. Some of the heavy ground won’t be dry enough to travel for another few weeks either.

If they were spreading it and all for you that’s still way to expensive, even at today’s fertiliser prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No haven’t grazed it the last couple years, it’s away ground and our heifers are contract reared

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wait till they get full then they will change thier tune

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Lads with no slurry or fertiliser are ya at nothing making bales . I know quantity be down but would quality be bad as in stemy with no base.its a outfarm usually shake a ton of fertiliser on it bout 9 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Have found in recent years that 2000 gallons slurry plus N fertilizer is not enough for a good first cut. I checked silage mineral analysis figures and the potash is 2.5% and the P is 0.28%.

So 9 bales to the acre is taking off roughly 130kg of potash and 15kg of P per cut. So the slurry is only returning part of what was taken off to grow last year's crop.

Have used 1 to 1.5 bags 0:7:30 in late Feb/early March for a few years now and it has made a big difference. Can cut 10 days earlier for the same yield and quality is far better as a result. Feeding weanling and finishing cattle, the better animal performance and meal saving more than pays off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Intend to graze off silage ground in mid/late March. Then 2.5-3k gallons/ acre with a dribble bar. Follow that with 1.5 bags of urea/ acre parcel n early April. 95-100 units if N. Never use CAN for first cut.

Plan to cut ASAP after the 25th May

Slava Ukrainii

1 ton to 9 acres is over 2 bag/acre. You could grow silage with a Bag/acre you just have to give it a few extra weeks to bulk up. But quality would be good and weather dependent maybe better feeding than stuff made wet in the month of May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

A few extra weeks will ruin quality but I suppose it depends in what you are feeding. Pretty much anything cut after Jun 1st, unless grazed into late April, will be only good enough for dry sucklers.

Damp May stuff beats dry June stem every time.

I wouldn't totally agree with that. High dry matter silage bests wet silage a lot of the time. It's not stem is the problem it is indigestible seed heads. Flowering heads are high in protein. It's silage after the 4-10 of June where heads are going to seed rather than flowering are the problem. Having said all that I aim to cut from the 22May on depending on getting a weather window capable of getting grass to 40ish DM

Slava Ukrainii

It's the calendar farmers that end up making wet sloppy silage. I'd be more flexible with the dates and prepared to wait weeks for a dry spell rather than make up stuff in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know we all like quality. But nothing worse than wet silage. A bit stronger and dryer makes better silage.

It's a balance you do not want seed heads, flowering is ok. It's about a weather window from the 20/5-10/6. Ideally yow want it the 25-30/5 but you want +37DM but you do not want seed heads.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭ginger22

we always try to go first week of May, usually get good weather then, if you wait till last week of May and it is wet then you could be into mid June before get a chance and then shure you only have chewing gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

When do you get bag manure out to cut so early? What do you spread?

• Advertisement

Would virtually never happen if you look for weather window with 20 days left in May. As it gets nearer the end of May you accept a lesser window. Got great stuff in a short window the end of May last year. Grass was down about 65 hours. 8 bales to the acre.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement