Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pets as legal family members

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That's cat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I suppose if the parents die it’s only right Rex will be entitled to a share of the estate.

It will ensure the kennel can’t be sold out from under him.

Custody hearings for pets of divorcing couples.. What a waste of the judge's time. Grant joint custody and then jail the two people for contempt of court

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

For God sake. Are we all gone a bit ott perhaps? An animal?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Tbf I remember a banned poster in the prison forum appealing their ban and using a family bereavement as mitigation.

The death was their cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea. This shite doesn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Yes. What next a pet allowance for the family members

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

I might be wrong about this but my understanding is that in Ireland you can't legally own a cat, they're classed as vermin. Therefore they can't be stolen. A law classifying them as family members would change this. Although I don't think my two would ever agree to being owned by anybody.

I also seem to remember hearing that while your dogs are your property the penalty for stealing them aren't severe because it depends on the value. Mine are mongrels, completely worthless (but priceless, obviously!). Yours might be blue-bloods, so they'd have some value, depending on age, health etc. If they were considered family members the penalties might deter thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well, we really don't need to worry about it coming here, do we?

Behind the "click bait" headline, is the reality is a law that acknowledges an animal as a sentient being rather than an object, which is already in place in many countries in Europe. It also means pets cannot be mistreated in cases of separation or divorce. A bad thing?

Take a look at the Dogs Trust Freedom Project - a 16 year project running to assist domestic abuse victims having their pets fostered while they get back on their feet. Domestic abusers often use pets to control their victim and many pets have been injured or killed.

Given that Ireland's record on animal welfare is appalling including being the puppy farm capital of Europe, cases like senior officials from Department of Agriculture being found guilty of animal neglect, and a State Solicitors Mother running an illegal puppy farm, then there's nothing for people here to concern themselves about as this wont happen here anytime soon.

Post edited by anewme on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

There is a proposed law that will have cats declared as "companion animals" (along with dogs)

It's a very good description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If it meant harsher punishments for people that mistreat cats and dogs then I'd be in favour of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Yep, that's the Idea. And proper sentencing to match.

But the level of thefts last year were no different to previous years and the stupidity about chalk markings and cable ties was laughable, obviously encouraged by those who believe everything on social media without thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why is my hamster being descriminated against by not being recognised in law.

The world is gone mad🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

My neighbour loves her pussy, it urinates all over my lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

With businesses seeing the potential billions to be had by doing this, I will be more surprised if there aren't more countries on the cusp of doing it.

Probably a fair bit of lobbying in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I read the title and thought maybe someone wanted to make their hamster their grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was gonna make a wisecrack about having a difficult conversation with the pet pig if you need a spare organ, but damn, I couldn’t after reading this post 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The Twitter post and thread title are misleading, Spain did not recognise animals as "family members", they just made provisions in their law to deal with their special status as sentient beings, and that status is nothing new, all EU member states have recognised this status since 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sorry for the rant,Ireland really is in the dark ages with animal welfare. That’s before we even mention the horse fairs or urban horses.

It is After Hours though so light hearted quips welcome.! 😂

And needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You can own pretty much any animal you want (provided it is not a species forbidden by law).

Ownership in law is a right of possession and control over something, you can indeed have possession and control over cats and many other animals, once you have possession or control of any animal it enjoys the status of a "protected animal".

With regards to theft of animals there is no penalty scale based on animal breed or value, that is completely wrong, theft is theft, it is currently covered under the general principles of theft under the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001 which carries a maximum sentence of 12 months and/or €5,000 fine when tried in the DC, however the Act is to be amended in due course (Bill currently going through the stages) with specific mandatorily sentence of a minimum 10 months imprisonment for any theft of any dog, cat or any other type of animal (except a farm animal) that you keep for companionship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cats do not have owners. They have staff. And don't forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dog: he feeds me, keeps me warm, plays with me…..he must be God.

Cat: he feeds me, keeps me warm plays with me…I must be God.

animals are absolutely part of our family. Their comfort, security and well-being have caused many a trip to be cancelled. Unless I have someone to stay with them full-time I will not leave. They sleep with me, protect me and herself, have special powers of giving notice to herself with regards to blood sugar levels.

i have neighbours who have cancelled a six month trip to their brothers mansion in Spain as he wouldn’t fly them and the dog privately. The dog would NOT be left behind. (And I thought mine were spoilt)

anyone who has a dog (not so sure about cats) or other animals that have been brought up in the family home, knows the bonds that develop. I have known separations where one person has taken the dog to get revenge on the partner.

this is a good thing in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If theres a rat in your house, does it have squatters rights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm sure this legislation is of little regard to anybody bar Spains divorce lawyers who must be salivating at the money that can now be made out of saddo's fighting over their dressed up 'fur babies'.

On the other hand, I had to hunt the neighbours cat out of my gaff after it shot into the house the second I opened the front door this morning, can I now have abnoxious blighter that craps and pisses on my balcony quite often charged with breaking and entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

It's bad enough with dog owners having every street stinking with dog piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then teach your family member to stop crapping in public. People won't let children crap in public but will happily let an animal they want to have human rights crap in public, if they are being treated as humans they can act like humans and not crap in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Given the horrific treatment of the 30 million or so pigs in Spain (same horrific treatment in Ireland) this is just absolutely ridiculous. Some animals are more equal than others I guess but they really shouldn't be, certainly not pigs and dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

WTF are you talking about? Where do you live?

I don't think i've ever smelt dog piss on the street in my life. I've smelt human piss plenty of times.

Advertisement