Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Review advice

Options
  • 13-01-2022 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi, live in a house in a RPZ, in November 2021 Landlord issued annual rent review of 4% increase which is due to take effect in April 2022. Obviously since then the new 2% annual increase cap has come into effect. Can we dispute and get it reduced to 2% as we're still within the notice period?

(I checked with RTB and got 2 different answers, saying the 4% is still valid and that the new 2% should apply...)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on dates.

Was the notice of the rent review and the date on which it was to effect valid when it was made.

The fact that the legislation changed after the notice issued- does not effect the validity of that notice- once it was valid when it actually issued.

Also- something else to have a think about- when did the tenancy commence, and when was the last rent review? The 4% might actually be quite reasonable- as it does compound........ Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

Yes your correct the notice was valid when issued, and the 4% is less than the HICP rate that could have been applied. (Tenacy a long one but with annual reviews so no compounding of the increase)

But I suppose I thought given when the rent review notice is issued there's a 28 day period or time up until the new increase takes place for the tenant to come back and "dispute" it so for example if I found 3 properties advertised for less than the new rent rate right up until April 2022 I could dispute the increase, so was hoping that given the legislation changed during this notice period we can get Landlord to decrease to current legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

The 4% rule was changed last July.

From 16 July 2021 to 10 December 2021, annual rent increases in RPZs were capped at the rate of general inflation - which may by coincidence have worked out to 4% for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭MacDanger

for example if I found 3 properties advertised for less than the new rent rate right up until April 2022 I could dispute the increase

If the LL has provided 3 similar places at equal or higher rents to the new proposed rent, then the notice is valid even if you find 3 that are lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭combat14

are you in a rent pressure zone - if yes check out the rent calculator online..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭luvlyjubbly

Yes the RTB calculator makes it to be 2% max but at the same time the agents on chat say the old legislation applies so I'm none the wiser

Advertisement