Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving out notice as a licensee

• 13-01-2022 11:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious what is the proper amount of notice to give when leaving as a licensee renting a room?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

Generally what is in the contract or if nothing there, agree a notice period.

If not agreed, a notice period given needs to be reasonable which is objective based on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Absent an agreement to the contrary a a licencee do not have to be given a notice period when asked to leave. similarly a licencee does not have to give notice when leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I agreed a four week notice period with any lodgers I've had. There's always flexibility in that where circumstances dictate a shorter time frame is needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i would suggest the period of time for which you pay your rent is the minimum notice. so if you pay weekly, a weeks notice and if monthly then a month and so on.

if your planning to leave the landlord might want to start looking around for replacement tenants & you could avoid any unhappiness if you can agree a mutually agreeable leaving date that doesn't leave anyone in the lurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Raichu

While there’s no requirement to give notice, I wouldn’t just say nothing either.

obviously no need to write a letter or anything just give them a fair warning you’re looking to head out soon and if you have a date in mind. As advised earlier if you’re paying weekly leave the day before or day your next payment would be due and the same for monthly.

Advertisement