Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying . . . . . Is this price ok ?

• 12-01-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Ok so I know that supply / demand has changed pricing of used cars. I'm looking at this three series for my wife . . . . . . https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318i-business-edition-autonct-10-22/30015290 . The documented low mileage and automatic attract me to it. We would keep it for seven or eight years and there's only the two of us..... no kids. What do you feel about the price ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Very low mileage but that's insane money for a 12 year old Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Correct, it is expensive, but I guess the premium for the mileage and condition is €1800 and the low mileage is really attracting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mad money irrespective of the low mileage. Are people really happy to pay these sort of prices for cars of that age?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

True, but that's the market. I'd go in with a plan to haggle down.

Forget about the age for a second, and you have low miles, decent spec car, with a warranty that probably cost about 40k new.

Personally, I'd like a Msport and a larger engine.

I don't see how it's "mad money"........personally, I'd say go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s a nice car and desirable being petrol and automatic. But it’s very strong money for the age car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lads, you cannot just ignore the fact it's a 12 year old car, the same way you cannot just focus on the low mileage. I'd say something if it was a rare enough BMW found in a barn but 9k for a 12 year 318i is just nuts. I think the pandemic has made some folk loosen a screw.

Well that answers my question. It’s strong money for a 12 year old car. We could say the same about other overpriced things in Ireland. I’ve looked at VW Golf automatics as well and low mileage imports are similarly priced. So I’ll possibly sell her 2007 auto version golf hi line privately after buying something like this BMW.

I looked into Carzone there (I know) but there’s plenty of worse cars up (diesels with huge mileage) for same or only slightly less money. So this doesn’t seem an outlier, more a sign of the times I’d say

Id prob try find the same or similar car privately though. Buying an older car from a dealer rarely makes any sense

• Advertisement

And those are manuals, the auto is definitely desirable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Its strong money for sure but theres loads of them in round that amount now, that looks a good one as regards mileage and condition, if not it in the spec I would consider myself. Also be aware, its a 2005 design too, its very very dated at this stage inside and out.

I bought far better BMWs younger than that for much less money than that from 2010 to about 2016 (e39 530i and 525i msport, e60 525i msport) and never paid anything like that. The 530i was 8 years old as far as I remember and was just under the price of a 12 year old 318i now.

However, my friend got over 5 grand for a 2010 or 2011 Hyundai i30 recently selling privately so everything is nuts. That would have been a 2k car up to recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

There's no doubt prices are crazy, I have seen 2013 Polo's with asking prices of 14K......

Just looked at VW Golf's, (imports) and a similar aged car (2010 / 2011) with low mileage is around the same. The BMW has a feelgood factor with leather and automatic. I may bcall the dealer tomorrow.

Advertisement