Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failure - Suspension - Front Axle Imbalance

• 12-01-2022 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

My daughter's car (Honda CRV, 2.0 petrol - 2012): It has just failed its NCT - front axle imbalance of 48% - only 30% allowed. Nearside was 25mm, offside was 13mm. The rear axle was almost perfect - imbalance of just 3%.

I phoned my garage and they immediately said that it needs new front shock absorbers. However, they fitted new shocks only 2 years ago and the car has done only 6,000 km since.

Could it be something else is causing the problem, other than the shock absorbers?

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It definitely could be something else but the best place to start will be a visual check of the front shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Could still be, do you know for the 2 years was it parked up on a flat surface or could it have been parked on a kerb or slopped surface meaning car wasn't on the level and so more weight was on one side than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Check the tyre pressures, I go through this every year with my fathers Subaru.

It failed on an imbalance, fitted a pair of shocks, failed again, tried on a different lane, failed again.

Brought it to a cvrt centre and it passed on their equipment, back to the NCT with that information and they passed it.

Last year it failed because of a soft front tyre, I was livid as it was the only thing I forgot to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It looks like the offside is the problem. It is generally thought that the lower the Mm reading, the better and that bad shocks result in high readings. However, 13 seems unusually low. The spring, top mount etc. need to be examined as well as the shock.

I had a look online for info on how the test is done but could only find info in German. The equipment used by the NCT is Maha brand.

Advertisement