Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Condensation outside tiriple glazed

Options
  • 06-10-2021 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

We got whole house refitted with energlaze 40mm triple glazed. We used to get condensation on inside but now we get it every morning outside windows. I’ve read that it’s normal and shows a good performing glass but it really seems excessive. This was yesterday and it was very bad. Others around here seem ok. Front house is facing south. Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

This shows your windows are working perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll get that some times of the year more than others. The windows are so effective that the outer pane of glass is at or below the dew-point temperature (ie, not losing any heat from the interior) and hence on damp mornings especially, it will cause condensation. So as MicktheMan said - a good but slightly annoying indication that the triple-glazing is optimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

working perfectly.

it is annoying though.. i read somewhere that people have put hyro scopic or hydro phobic coatings designed for car windscreens and that has helped make the condentation bead up and roll off. but i have no first hand experience

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

There will be frost on outside of them during winter ! I think it great to see obviously no heat escaping

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

better turn off the heating in the winter to get the outside and inside matching lol

• Advertisement

mine is on every pane, north and south facing. installed in summer and noticed it a few weeks afterwards. I've just wiped my patio door on the outside to get rid of the condensation but while I'm writing here it is coming back. Someone said on a different thread that perhaps the glazing is backwards - it has that low E stuff on them, all are triple. I'm not sure how to tell if backwards but here is the logo etching from the inside.

The presence of condensation on the outer pane is a sign that your glazing is performing. There is not enough heat passing through from the inside to warm up the outer pane enough to prevent the condensation forming. Forget the nonsense that your glazing is installed backwards.

i assume you mean sub zero. yes of course it could and probably will. its a sign the windows are working well.

all windows will freeze up if its cold enough

• Advertisement

thanks for the reassurance. If we take that a step further - perhaps we should build houses without windows as they will be even more efficient. Windows are about cosmetics also and I walked home this morning - out of the 250 houses I passed on the way, mine was the only house that looked like this.. Not arguing with you in any way but the logic seems as flawed as my windows.

Perfectly dry on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We would be over the moon with that problem, our old double glazed back windows have to be wiped down every morning at this time of year or we'll get black mould growing on them. The newer double glazing in the same house is bone dry.

Waiting now 4 months on triple glazing to go in to replace them, hopefully with the same same eventual result as yourselves!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

ive noticed a big difference on the heating with new windows. I got a gas bill today and it is 50pc of same period last year. Also I set the heating thermostat at 18C before bed. The heating has not once needed to come on as never healed 18C. Only issue I have (bar the condensation) is that triple glazing has not reduced external noise coming into the house. I don't think there is much to do as it 2003 timber frame - mid terrace

The external noise is likely airborne noise? and therefore the triple glazed windows will have no noticeable effect if there is air leakage through the rest of the structure fabric.

you should try some hydro fobic coatings for car windscreens. it will cause the moisture to bead up and run off

It’s the nature of timber frame housing estates. They seem to be built without any emphasis on noise insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well, we finally got our triple glazing installed this week. This morning the outside is fogged up a bit, weird to see but I'm delighted, bone dry on the inside. No more wiping down the windows every morning. The kitchen feels noticeably warmer too. Result!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Looks like Timber Frame houses were a short-lived phase in Ireland, At the moment there are numerous housing developments being built locally and 100% are traditional blockhouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Glenveagh have bought the brain factory in Carlow to manufacture timber frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Brawn factory I hope you mean, otherwise I've been sold a lie about human existence all this time.

I hope they work out the issues around sound-transmission in adjoining dwellings and not just say "it's within spec!!" - that's a massive turn-off for any wooden construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Absolutely agree, I moved into one (4 bed semi) in 2004 and I could tell if my neighbour was doing a 1 or 2 - Literally, every move they made in the house was audible, - We sold it within 6 months after the price increased by 30% (Peak Celtic Tiger) ! - We moved to a new house on half an acre and added only 20k to our mortgage which is nearly paid off, the Best move we ever made.

Advertisement