Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

May have found the issue, one of the brackets is slightly bent inwards, with the bracket and bushing in my hand, the Ford bushings slips into one very easily but the other one it won't go in , must have bent it somehow when removing it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Oh if you knew the man like I do and have some of the craic we had in that car you'd understand. It was honestly a coming of age car.

Also knowing the 535, the deal is fair!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is what the Ford guy told me. I don't know enough to argue with him so took it at face value. They worked whereas the aftermarket ones did not. Maybe the orange dot just costs more because, well because. 😁

Do both rubbers sit into the brackets flush, and sit level (the bottom of the rubber) with the base of the bracket when placed on a flat surface (now that you have seen the bent bracket and presumably fixed/straightened it)?

Next task is fitting them, but if they're better fitting then I'd imagine it should be much simpler and more importantly actually fit (compared to the ones that broke your heart previously).

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I'm not sure about the orange dot but the part number matches up with the ones I took off the car.

I put the bushing into the bracket that isn't bent, and it slips in quite easily, but it isn't flush, it protrudes a bit from the bottom still. They have to be the right bushings going by the part number and being from Ford themselves.

I can't straighten the bent bracket I'm just going to buy new ones I don't think they'll be expensive.

I just want all this to be over, I'll try fitting the ford bushings when I get the new brackets and if they don't go on with anything less than moderate difficulty I'll just pay someone to fit them.

I'm assuming these are ARB bushes?

There will be a few different sizes with the same part number, most parts guys refuse to understand this.

The coloured dots indicated the specific model you need. The differences will be in material thickness and the centre bore.

• Advertisement

Yeah they are, for the rear of a MK4 mondeo , I've been having some time over it. I got parts from Ford so they should be alright?

They slip easily in the clamp when separated from the car. Haven't tried fitting the Ford ones yet. Would it be possible that the rubber compresses when they're torqued down which would make the bottom of the bushing flush with the bottom of the bracket.

The Ford ones match up with the aftermarket ones I had such a pain with before, but as I've said above. The Ford ones feel ever so slightly softer material. Other than that all the measurements and internal diameter match up with the aftermarket ones I have.

Was just onto Ford parts guy to order the brackets, I asked about the bushing being taller and he said it's normal that they'll compress down when the brackets are tightened.

The picture you showed befote Christmas showed the wrong bushing and how it protruded a quarter of an inch. Do these ones protrude the same amount? Again the bushing needs pushed into the bracket to simulate the "compression" it experiences when mounted but it shouldn't protrude to the extent of the wrong bushings you previously had.

I'd hazard a guess that different manufacturers will use different amounts/quantities of material when producing such parts meaning the same part can be slightly different between various manufacturers. So the same size part can be different in terms of ability to be compressed, fitment, etc. With cheap parts such as bushings I tend to stick to OEM parts to avoid such headaches although as I mentioned earlier in this thread I did have the same fitment issues with aftermarket bushings which were not present with the Ford ones even though the dimensions were identical with the aftermarket ones being harder and less compressible than the Ford.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yeah they protrude the same, I'm going to just attempt to fit and if it feels anything like the first time I tried I won't bother spending energy on it. I presume Ford have given me the correct part, orange dot or none. I looked on Ebay for the genuine part and that also showed a photo of the bushing with the orange dot. Maybe there was an orange dot on the one I took off but didn't see it because it was so deteriorated.

I reckon the bent bracket had a part to play in my frustration, I'll update when I give it another go, big celebrations if the job is complete

• Advertisement

I understand and appreciate the bushes would be not perfectly flush with the bracket as some degree of "compression" is necessary to ensure a tight fit. However, and as said previously, when I had the same issue as you with the bush protruding so much that it prevented me getting the bush/bracket into place the only solution was new bushes, but the proper ones.

Even my other cars are the same and my Vectra had the same issue some years back when I got front bushes by mistake. They would immediately slide themselves out of the the brakcet when I tried fitting them into the rear brackets and protuded so much as to stop me getting the bolt started. Even getting the rear bushes was an ordeal as the Vectra has four (iirc) bushes. All the same size outside but different diameter holes for the anti roll bar which went up in 1mm increments and getting the 17 for an 18mm bar would result in it not working as would the 21 for the 18.

You'll know if they're going to work in quick order when you try to align the bracket/bush with the subframe. There should be some "resistance" but it should go in with very little of the hassle you had with the previous ones.

So your new bushes did fit in flush with the bottom of the bracket off the car?

The rubber does seem quite malleable, when I got the aftermarket ones there were hard to actually open up the bushing to go onto the bar, the Ford bushing opens with much less effort, I'll take the parts guys word for it and give it a go when I have the brackets.

The front bushings need doing aswell, I'll be ringing the local garage for that stress

Here's some photos of how much the Ford bushing goes into the bracket, and then how much the whole lot goes together with the bar off the car.

That center bore is too small, it should not be open at the bottom. Trying to force it will likely pull a thread.

Okay if you're sure, how do I go about saying this to Ford? Wouldn't know where to start to get the right part

Say it just like that.

For example, with Nissans you'll get 3 bushes with the same part number but they have a bore of 18mm, 20mm and 22mm. You'll never get a 20mm bush on a 22mm ARB, never mind the 18.

Go in with that picture, explain that the bore is too small and ask for a mechanics opinion of they're not playing ball.

Too small and it's won't fit, too big and it will squeak.

This whole situation has become an absolute disaster. I'll ask about it when I go in to collect the brackets

Pretty much.

I went to the garage and found the old rear set and the front set that I ordered by mistake for mine. I threw a calipers on them for reference (excuse the rudimentary MS paint skills) and put them side by side. Measure your ones and see which ones it fits and you'll know if you have front or rear. If they match the dimensions of the front set then change for rear ones. If they match the dimensions for the rear ones then you have the wrong size centrebore for the bushing and need to confirm the correct size for your anti roll bar.

Red measurements are from base of bush to top.

Blue measurements are base of bush to top of "guide nipple" on top of bush.

The bushings are definitely the rear ones, look nothing like the front ones. The centre bore must be wrong

Wait till you get the brackets, then try fitting them. They don't just "go on" and as I said back in Decemeber it'll will take some persuasion to get them in. A second pair of hands would be helpful if only to push the bar for you while you start the bolts.

• Advertisement

Took measurements of the bushes,all matches up with what they should be for the rear, allow for some discrepancy on my part it's not exactly the measurements you stated but as close as I can get with a Lidl callipers.

I remember you saying they are only in either 17mm or 18mm, so these could be 17mm and I need the 18mm.

Another poster mentioned that they're wrong altogether because when I assembled the bush, bracket and bar it was very open at the bottom when the bracket was almost mounted. (And as much as I could put it on with standing on it)

They're the right ones so. My measurements are basically the same. 0.02 of an inch is nothing. Less than half a mil. in both cases.

Every meausrement found on most car parts sites only list 17mm or 18mm as options. I also found out that the "orange dot" is specifically listed as being made for all saloon/hatch diesel models of mk4's between 2007 and 2014.

So not so "special".

Okay so what I have are the correct parts? What about them being open when installed with the bracket onto the bar?

Asked the parts guy about the bushes and he said they're the correct ones, he said on the Ford parts directory it doesn't show any other parts its not like the motor factors directory. They're listed as 18mm anyway anyway there isn't anything bigger so they must be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I wasn't happy with the VHT paint job I did on my cam cover last year, so I finally managed to get my hands on some crinkle red. I went over it with a heat gun just to make sure it turned out right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Looks great, i did my old b16 and i tell you it didn't turn out half as good to yours. How hard was the "dohc vtec" lettering

Got it done today, all torqued to spec, took me 30 mins. What I ended up doing was having the anti roll bar cable tied to the frame, getting the first bolt in was easy enough.

For the second bolt I had the bolt in the socket with the ratchet ready to go, put the bolt through the hole on the bracket, and used that to force it on to the subframe and then screwed it in as I was doing that, it worked quite well, made it so much easier to get the second bolt started. Everything went quite smoothly, main dealer parts really make the difference.

I put the bushing around the bar dry, and then used silicone grease on the bracket so it slipped over the top of the bushing, I believe that's the correct way to go, although different people have different opinions.

I put Lemforder drop links on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

@BlakeS94 Well done for getting it finished

Thank you, I know to some people it might be an easy job but it proved quite difficult for me with all to coming and going. Big win for me today, if only you could here the sigh of relief when I got them torqued down

Big thanks to Cass who listened to all my whining and helped out so much.

That's all from me because this is starting to sound like an Oscars speech lol.

WOOOOO !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I cheated! I covered them in grease and just sprayed over them. The paint didn't stick to them and I just sanded them afterwards.

Advertisement