Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combining cycling and GAA

• 11-01-2022 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Looking for any advice on anything to do with GAA and cycling on irelands country roads.

I'm looking for a fitness prject. I prefer to have a big project that I can work towards, even if if takes a long time to achieve and a massive amount of work. I need something to motivate me. (Like running lots of runs with the aim of running a marathon at the end of the year).

This has caused me to plan a series of cycles from dublin to GAA grounds around Ireland. I'd like to do maybe one ground a month. I'll then do a short video rating the GAA ground I visit and maybe a video of the cycle down.

My issue is I'm not a cyclist and I'm not that into GAA, so I'm not sure how difficult or dangerous cycle as a novice on irish country roads can be. I'm not completely inexperienced I did the ring of kerry on a whim last year (rented a bike and took my time over 3 days). Im not afraid to try something big and can push though to the end. What I am worried about is how difficult it will be to cycle on the irish roads and how I will plan a route for each new journey. I was planning on using Komoot, if anyone uses this vould you let me know if I can just follow this?

Also any advice on a type of bike that would be best? Types of roads to avoid? Diffulcults I'd have getting accommodation? Essential gear (will look to build the non essential gear up as I go). Any stadium that you would visit first?

Also any advice on the GAA side of things? Can I get tickets on the day? Can I buy tickets to home matchs in other counties as a dub? The season will start up in a couple of weeks? Is there a different atmosphere or process at hurling and football? Will accommodation be harder to get in towns when the match is on? Will pubs be busier?

Any advice would be great

Thanks!

Comments

Interesting idea, but can't help wondering why you don't pick a challenge that involves your interests? You say that you are neither into GAA or cycling...It might be a lot more engaging and enjoyable if did something you are actually interested in or else it might seem like a slog.

Check out the Allianz League fixtures if you're doing it this spring. Games are rarely sold out, and unless it's Dublin or Mayo involved there won't be too many away supporters, and those that travel mostly go up and down on the same day.

The logistics should be very straightforward, and Kamoot should be a good way of organising routes that avoid main roads. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Check out the AXA bike rides. You've so many Q's about cycling i think you would benefit a lot from these spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

The Allianz Leagues are starting at the end of the month, maybe try cycling to a Dublin hurling or football away match each month?

Then do the same when the championships start (if the Dubs ever play outside of Croke Park 😉).

Accommodation shouldn't be a problem in most cases. Better off to buy tickets online ahead of time, lots of matches are now moving to ticketless because of COVID. No home/away separation so normally anyone can get tickets for any match in League and early stages of Championship (if not sold out). Process is the same for hurling and football, pubs will be busier for a few hours before and after but up to provisional final days most people travel on the day.

But I would agree with the post above, if you're not into GAA why would you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cycledub

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Should have said, "I'm not currently involved in cycling or the GAA", instead of I've no interest.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'd look at the Allianz League fixtures as mentioned above, venues and dates and work backwards from that. Be realistic with you goals and treat the 1st few as opportunities to evaluate your current fitness and gather requirements as to what you'll need to bring with you, and more importantly what you don't need to bring!

• Advertisement
Advertisement