Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best GAA Podcasts

Options
  • 31-12-2021 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Looking for some recommendations on the best GAA podcasts particularly hurling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

For hurling Our Game is my favourite personally followed by Anthony Daly's podcast on the Irish Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Our game Stapleton and verney.very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Yeah both of those are excellent. The lads involved all know their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I really liked the GAA Hour with Colm Parkinson ( Wooly) this year. He has just left it to start something new in 2022.

A hurlers life is great also, a different kind of show

Off the ball put clips up on Spotify of their GAA coverage, always good to listen to Tommy Walsh talking about the game he loves

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quidel7

From a Gaelic football perspective, The GAA Hour with Colm Parkinson was the best of the lot for me. The Irish Examiner can be very good too particularly when Oisin McConville is on.

After that it’s probably the Football Pod with Paddy & Andy. If you were from Ulster the BBC’s The GAA Social was excellent I thought, but no episodes for a few months unfortunately.

RTÉ’s GAA podcasts definitely are miles behind the above. Too many producers speaking and overused guests. Badly need to improve their offering.

• Advertisement

Wooly's new one is called "smaller fish" . First episode Jan 10th.

Our game excellent as well

A bit too much horse racing chat at times on Dalos Examiner one (have zero interest in horses) , but still a good listen overall

Wonder if GAA hour will continue with a new presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Anyone give this a listen yet? The same as GAA hour or better/worse?

Can't really see what he can do different, hopefully he can get the regular contributors to move with him, Paul Murphy Paddy Stapleton and Brian Carroll are brilliant hurling pundits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's the same as the GAA hour and I think many pundits will be moving with him. Paddy Stapleton was on yesterday's show

Just on the GAA Hour that twitter account hasn't posted since December so they must be quietly killing it.

Joe.ie are in a bad financial state so I'd say they couldn't afford to keep Wooly moreso than a falling out. One of Joe's other big names Dion Fanning left in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Had no complaints about the GAA Hour so more than happy for it to stay the same. Surprised Joe has made it this far tbh, surviving the clickfarming saga at the parent company was not something I expected. Outside of GAA hour I'd no use for JOE myself

Listened to both of Woolys pods( joys of working from home) Paddy Stapleton and Niall Rigney for hurling and Conan Doherty and Cian Ward for football, both were decent and basically GAA hour 2.0.

Noticed by their conversations they were recorded Sunday evening rather than Monday, hopefully they'll move it onto YouTube too, Spotify is fine for me but not my father who is 78 in April. I can see they've an interview with Rob Kearney up today.

Listened to all the new shows. Same thing, different name is basically it expect for the Rob Kearney one. That one is a nice addition actually if he gets decent guests. It's more of a one on one interview about their gaa career and other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Backdoor GAA podcast is decent but the guy presenting it has a very low speaking voice (as do i) and can be a little frustrating sometimes but the content is good. God help when Mark Foley is on it he has let's just say a boring voice (nothing against the man)

Wollys podcast and Anthony Dalys are enjoyable too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Was involved in some career retrospectives with players during the year on a podcast know as "The Clash Act"

From about episode from about episode 6 onwards we started finding our Grove and interviewed

- Kilkenny hurlers Eddie Brennan, Noel Hickey, Brian Hogan, PJ Ryan, Paul Murphy, Peter Cleere, Eoin Larkin, John Mulhall, Michael Rice, Eddie Keher , Denise Gaule and Richie Power

-Waterford’s Dan Shanahan & former manager Derek McGrath,

-Roscommon’s Frankie Dolan, Westmeath player John Connellan, 

- Carlow’s Marty Kavanagh Niall Carew & Brian Tracey,

- Referees Brian Gavin & David Gough,

Corks Larry Tompkins, Gakways Micheál Donoghue, Eugene Cloonan and Kevin Walsh or Offalys Michael Duignan.

We had to take a break during September but looking to start back up in Febuary with some good guests lined up.

Mulhalls interview was probably my favourite

Link :

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2EVxDCT3Te6nttpy65e5bU?si=XlmW4_cOTAyQiVnFA_yIFQ&utm_source=copy-link

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Another lesser known hurling podcast is ‘Lovely Hurling’ hosted by Anthony Nash and Dan Shanahan. They haven’t posted since after the All Ireland but hopefully they’ll be back.

https://open.spotify.com/show/4NHOBGpP8HSPfZJo0qrUMt?si=kyyX94a3Rf6dp281_L8dJQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

I find it excellent too, he'll ask an interesting question but it sounds like a 12 year old asking it. Needs to work on delivery but the host is very knowledgeable and the guests he has on it every week do bounce off each other well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I really like the examiner football podcast. I think that Paul Rouse is very good and I like Oisin McConville too (marmite I know).

Last year he had Micky Harte was on with McConville and you could feel the tension between the two of them. Brilliant

Not as keen on the hurling version. Too much non hurling chat

I came across this one by accident but loved it. Listened to almost every episode. Found them excellent, good length and interesting questions

• Advertisement

Woolys new podcast series is going behind a pay wall from February.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭C4000

Heard him talking about it, i enjoy his podcasts but I'd say his views around Covid would turn off some possible sponsors.

Thought the same.

I like the podcast but he comes across as an immature numpty on Twitter with his carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

I’m not into horse racing at all, but it’s banter between 3 friends and good craic. I like it.

He’s going for a particular pay wall audience alright …

Looks like Our Game could be going the paywall route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yes the Irish examiner podcast is very good..probably could do with someone younger and a female voice aswell would be nice to hear. The horsey stuff is irrelevant to me . I like Marc Landers and TJ is very level headed.

Stapleton and Verney are a hard listen. Verneys accent is a hard listen for me and he doesnt know much about Munster hurling .

Stapletons Tipperary bias is quiet OTT. When he found out Cahill had turned them down it was 'must watch' TV. The sense of entitlement was hilarious.

Wooly I like. I like his twitter musings aswell. Id be more conservative and right wing than most.He trys to ask the hard questions. His knowledge of hurling is poor but he's learning. I ll pay for his podcast in February.

• Advertisement

Stapleton and Verney are the most knowledgeable by a good bit in my view.

Advertisement