Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

We already know the answer to this one. Yes, he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

To date, polling consistently shows that a UI would be defeated. It would indeed be interesting times if Stormont didn't exist and a UI was rejected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Polling on a UI is specious.

A poll on a UI is only possible if the SoS for NI determines (he personally) that such a poll would succeed. Before he can determine that, a proposal for a settlement between the various interested parties, both internationally, and within Ireland and NI, with detailed proposals on how everything would work. It would be another Good Friday/Belfast agreement type of scenario. A very detailed proposition would have to be hammered out and every aspect nailed down, before any vote.

It would start with the SoS announces that he is minded to investigate the possibility - effectively lighting the blue touch paper. I doubt that will happen with this Gov in control - no matter what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't even understand the logic behind saying a collapsed Stormont makes a border poll more likely.

It is, nonetheless, entirely within the grace of the NI SoS to call it and that is not going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is no logic.

If, in the unlikely event that the Stormont elections in May return a majority in favour of a UI, and pass a motion asking the SoS to hold a border poll, then it might happen, but even then, it is still in the personal gift of the SoS. This UK Gov will never agree to a border poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I do find it really odd that rather than use Frost departure as a chance to reset, to pause and look at how things were going, looking at a different approach, instead they are simply continuing on the exact same path.

Prior to every meeting the UK, originally through Frost and now Truss, send out a PR threat that Art 16 is going to be triggered unless they get what they want. The EU then ignores it, maybe calls for calm and says its unhelpful to continue making threats, and then simply asks the UK how they intend to solve the issues, for which they never have an answer.

It has been said many times that Brexit is like the dog that caught the car, and A16 is exactly the same.

Both the UK and the EU know that the real value of A16 is the threat to trigger it. Once that is actually triggered, it loses all its powers. If the UK trigger it, what then? What is the next step? What is, once they enter into negotiation, the EU simply holds its current position? Is the UK really going to tear up the entire deal when the last 12 months have shown that in almost every area they are actually looking at rowing back on the extremes?

The EU know that no UK government is going to want to start the entire process from scratch. Telling business, farmers, fishermen etc that the problems they had dealt with, and maybe overcome, are all now in vain and that no only do they have all the additional paperwork and costs, they are no going to suffer tariffs and quotas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Today yes. But without a Northern Ireland Assembly it would happen sooner.

Anyway the DUP have made the made the noises so 'hold me back'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Maybe it shouldn't happen sooner.

Personally, I think a UI vote should be at least 10 years in the future. When Brexit is a thing of the past and a Yes vote is assured. The worst thing that could happen is another 52 - 48 vote either way, or emotional voting based on current circumstances, or protest voting, which would land Ireland in a Brexit-like situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A border poll would never be held though if polling was in and around 50-50 or too close to call. Even Sinn Fein would be alert to the risks of that one (as to lose such a referendum would be a devastating setback for Irish nationalism).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There's an 8% gap in favour of 'Remain' in the latest opinion poll. 'Leave' voters tend to be younger though. Just to clarify lest there be any confusion, 'Remain' means remaining in the UK and 'Leave' means joining the RoI....

• Advertisement

I forget who said it, "but before a United Ireland is possible in real terms, a United NI is required." If they cannot live with themselves, then we should wait until they can.

Much as I would like a UI, I think importing into a 32 county Republic the likes of the loyalist terror gangs defiantly trying to cause trouble of the type they have in NI - then no thanks.

We can wait until they realise just how popular they are in the rest of the UK, and the £12 billion a year subsidy they get to keep the lights on is sufficiently resented by those that provide it, such that it is cut back, and the 32 county option looks attractive.

The speech Patrick Kielty made on the subject recently was very interesting. He says we will never have a 'united' Ireland in the true sense of the word as British unionism and Irish nationalism are poles apart in terms of identity and culture. But we could definitely end up with some sort of 32 county solution where both are able to co-exist peacefully and amicably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think the answer sits in the subsidy in general to be honest, once UK cuts that off I got a feeling a United Ireland with funding for the unification etc. suddenly sounds like not so bad after all. The reason I think they are going to cut the funding is simple, Tories don't care about NI as they got the votes in support anyway and Labour will care about the heartlands more than NI were they get zero votes (hence shifting the funding to their heartland makes more sense). I could even see SF do a once in a life time move to vote with Labour government for the promise of a vote on a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There will never be a united NI. The two main unionist parties can't even come out and say whether they would accept a SF First Minister. Supposedly moderate Doug Beattie can't even stomach an Irish language act. Ask them what they think of Irish people showing reluctance to change their anthem and flag in a shared all-island state and they will point to this as evidence that we don't really want a shared island; yet ask them why a shared NI doesn't likewise need a new flag and anthem and they say it's not required. The reality is they don't want a shared NI. They want the NI of the 1950s when they ran the show. Donaldson recently was cheering Kate Hoey's remarks bemoaning why there are so many nationalists in educated fields.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Brexit is a narrow edge where NI is different from rUK which will widen if the EU are generous with NI supports, and show positive attitudes towards NI, fostered by our Gov. If the UK Gov decides this is an opportunity to cut back on funding for NI, on the basis they are doing better, then the tipping point will be reached when Loyalty will tilt towards the half-crown from the current Loyalty to the Crown.

May bought the DUP with a bung to NI, so they have form in this. [Whatever happened to all that money?]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

We are a long way away from a UI when talking about a border poll.

I think though that we will enter a period of all Ireland co-operation on steroids with a SF first minister. That assembly will be very unstable and constantly under threat of suspension.

There needs to be a bit of maturity though. Are there any other parliaments where the parties are constantly threatening to pull out?

How many people on both sides would agree to a United Ireland that would end the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland?

UI won't be the RoI plus 6, it may mean a new state, new constitution etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suspect not many. A lot of the people in the Republic are in favour of a United Ireland in theory but as soon as you start getting into the detail and potential compromises they throw their hands at it. In order to be a stable country any United Ireland would need to have a new flag, anthem and the Republic would need to step in and pay the subvention costs that are currently being shouldered by London (£15m last year).

All of that would be hammered home in any Referendum campaign by the No side and I couldn't see it passing (although I would still vote for it myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,002 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is exactly right. I'd guess most people here thinking of a united Ireland are thinking in terms of incorporating NI into the Republic, but while no doubt the Republic would be picking up the tab for supporting the North, just taking in the 6 counties into the existing Republic is not going to happen. If the UK saw fit to send NI on its way with a big enough dowry, and the EU maybe came up with a wedding present, pragmatism might overcome some of the loyalty to the crown, but it would still be an unholy struggle.

This is my takeaway from any UI discussion.

Incorporating NI isn't like adding an extension onto your house. It's a new house.

Even in the event of a Yes vote, RoI and NI would need to make serious concessions to appease those on both sides. IMO that means a new parliament and election process, likely a new constitution, anthem, President, and Presidential election process. Maybe a new capital city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

That will all have to be agreed before a vote IMO.

Nate

As I said earlier, it would be another GF agreement. Nothing agreed until everything is agreed.

It would help if there was no economic deficit visited on the existing 26 counties. Also, the existing system of government would enter a long transition period for many facets of government, including taxation, policing, health, social security, etc. The question of national voting and representation is unlikely to be changed, and the President would not suddenly become a monarch.

If one was designing a flag for the new state, one would choose a tricolour with a green stripe for the Irish nationalist side, orange for the unionists, separated with a white panel representing peace. Unfortunately, that design has already been taken and is unacceptable to one side. Does it matter? Well, yes.

An approach would be to introduce a much stronger local government system.

Brexit might force the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I don't disagree with any of this, but I think the Loyalist thugs won't be bothered that the subsidy is decreasing, or services cut in NI. Or if they are bothered, you know who they will blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There will be a definitely be a group that won't care about the subsidies because they probably already revelling in the miserable life they have. You meet these people in Britain and ROI too, the types who are proud that they have a complete hatred of broadening their horizons whatsoever. I'm talking the kind of people who don't get off the couch unless it's to batter children on the way to school.

In terms of Brexit I met many leave voters who didn't give a toss about the strength of sterling vs Euro or it's affect on the stock markets because they thought it wouldn't affect the sheltered 1 pub, 1 bookies, 1 supermarket lives. Some didn't even care about blue passports because they had no intention of ever travelling.

It would definitely be a new state. It could even end up being something like Belgium, with two jurisdictions within the same country i.e. Stormont and the PSNI etc are retained, even after union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Would the size disparity end up causing trouble down the road? It might still end up in an "us and them" situation, which isn't much better than it is now. Politically, would the two parts of New-Ireland be weighted to stop NI from being sidelined? Electoral boundaries would be a nightmare no matter what system was figured out for a UI. Glad it's never going to be my job.

I've heard one suggestion that the new state could even be divided into the four provinces in a bid to counteract the problem you describe.

I guess all of this would have to be thrashed out before a referendum. It would be no bad thing IMO if Scotland left the UK before such a border poll was held - it would bring some realism to the debate and tell everyone that 'the UK' had no future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Time will resolve many of these issues. With time more trade will flow NI -- IRL and people will settle into the new norm. NI will see it's performing better than the rest of the UK and 'project blame the EU on everything' will be seen for the scapegoat it always was. Unionists will realise that their links to the UK have been eroded and England doesn't care much at all about them. You can never break the nationalist drive in someone but with time older generations will pass and a gambling man would suggest younger generations are less inclined to spite himself so he can wrap himself in the union jack.

It's best NI people are left to decide for themselves, at a time that's right. Outside interference or any form of 'Johnson' catalyst will only cause more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The thing about the likes of the DUP is they're like an abused child; they keep seeing clear displays that Westminster doesn't care about them but can't (or won't) do anything about it because their ideology doesn't allow it. They're British to the core, the loyalest loyalists. They'll keep asking "did I do good Daddy?" only to be locked back in the basement until they're asked to prove their worth again getting something over the line for the tories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The British are basically hardening the border, or at least intend to.

Advertisement