Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NTA Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy Review

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If it were a perfect world, the role of reporting on transport from within RTÉ News should be taken away from the Dublin Correspondent altogether and be switched over to George Lee. But George himself had given some negative reporting when he had the story on the cost of the current hydrogen trial buses that came in for Bus Eireann.

There should be a separate transport correspondent in place for RTÉ News to report on public transport matters within the state as to when there is one currently in place for BBC News in the UK. Would that be a good idea for the viewers to see if was possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That sleight of hand is the same trick that they're pulling with the green line metro upgrade, taking a model that gives them the answer they want, pushing it out in front of gullible politicians and an ignorant, uninterested media, and hoping that nobody questions their homework.

I've heard so much about how COVID means the death of the city centre, from so many different sources, and yet the reality is very different. Commercial property markets around the world have recovered already, the retail sector had recovered to a fairly good extent, and only a few companies are going officeless, not the majority that commentors where saying originally.

That the NTA would choose to go with a model that already does not reflect reality is sadly unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

once the tbm is in the ground on DM , that is the main thing. the problem for them is, lying about green line capacity, isnt actually going to be too long of a strategy, it just buys time...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Deadline extended to 10th January 2022.

The closing date is today. It's now or never if you want to make a submission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's quite interesting to read some of the other submissions to this document. There seems to be many submissions on unfair ticket pricing on the other side of the Irish Rail short hop zone, people complaining about the alignment of Navan rail etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The higher subsidised fares have to end somewhere - there will always be people complaining about the boundary.

Last chance to make a submission. The deadline is at 11:59pm. Until the next government creates another strategy at least. The short survey won't take longer than a few minutes. We really need more people making submissions calling for a more ambitious plan.

https://consult.nationaltransport.ie/en/consultation/greater-dublin-area-transport-strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm still absolutely amazed that Eamon Ryan, the Green Minster For Transport, hasn't kicked the arse of public transport into gear. This really is the most pathetic of plans, so far removed from the Transport 21 which was at least somewhat ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A few years ago I would have made a submission but as far as I can see its simply a copy of the previous plan that didn't happen with the more ambitious parts of it taken out.

I honestly don't see the point. We've been asking for 1st World public transport for a long time, the administration has no intention of giving it to us, so feel like I'd be writing a letter to myself in the future tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I just do not understand why our Minister for Transport is so detached to the need for PT in Dublin - in particular the Metrolink project.

He should be making weekly progress reports on this, but isn't.

The Transport Strategy has to be approved by the Minister for Transport but they have no role in drafting it. Drafting the GDA Transport Strategy is the NTA's statutory role. The minister's role comes after the statutory consultation when the NTA submit the draft for approval. The minister has the choice to approve, instruct them to make changes or reject it outright.

I'd be surprised if the minister didn't make changes as government TDs and councillors across the board are unhappy with it.

Changing the process to include political involvement from the beginning requires change in primary legislation. I think that would be a mistake and a waste of time. It should be the people with experience in transport planning doing strategic transport planning, not politicians. In this case, the NTA have handed the minister a pile of crap. There's still time to fix it. If the minister doesn't fix it, that's a different story.

That's another reason why people should use this time to talk to their politicians. If you made a written submission, send it to your councillors and TDs and tell them this is your submission and this is what you want them to support. Even if they don't read all of it, it'll bring the issue higher up on their agenda and will put pressure on them.

I've just sent my submission to my TDs, councillors and minister@transport.gov.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm not the biggest fan of the greens, but they are in the process of massively increasing the availability of public transport throughout towns across Ireland, with every town over 10000 people getting a proper state run bus service, along with a massive increase in the number of planners, in authorities across Ireland, focused on active transport projects(this is more a long term thing, it'll take at least a year or two for these to start pumping out the projects).

EDIT: Removed quote as mod deleted it.

Post edited by CatInABox on

Updated version due next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It has been well over a month and no update on their site yet. However, will this update include responses to posts submitted during the consultation phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

They must be busy with their consultation on their mid-term strategic direction ...if only the NTA were as good at delivering on promises as they were on public consultations 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would happily take any version of the strategy if it were actually implemented.

You have to double every timeline given by the NTA for the real timeline. I don't make the rules.

• Advertisement

Engineers Ireland webinar with the NTA from 4 May.

Post edited by Peregrine on

The amended Transport Strategy for the Greater Dublin Area has been sent to the Minister.

Advertisement