Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular homes

• 10-01-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

We have a site in north county Dublin a family member are giving us, we can get a mortgage of 250k which wouldn't be enough probably to build a house so we are looking at the big red barn in mayo they build modular homes which are alot more reasonably priced, anyone have any experience advice, pros and cons of modular houses?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Speak to your solicitor and bank regarding the mortgage-ability of such a build, haven't done a whole lot of looking into these but am interested in how this form of construction will progress in the domestic market in this country, have a friend who spoke about these type of builds to a conveyancing solicitor and getting a mortgage seamed to be the first road block

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Biker1

If houses that comply fully with all the Building Regulations could be built cheaply then everyone would be doing it. Buyer beware !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Exactly.

I'd say the price of the kit houses you're looking at exclude foundations, utility connections including water, electrical and telephone, planning permission, professional fees, septic tank or sewerage connection, entrance drive way and landscaping, footpaths, etc.

All all these in and you'll have the near the same if not more than a traditional build. The houses on the Red Barn website are also incredibly basic, boring and therefore super cheap. Change from their standard double glazing to triple, upgrade the floors from laminate, etc and you'll see the prices rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mandy86

Thank yes I was thinking if it seems to good to be true it probably is. And yes they are quite basic but we don't have very many options at the minute. I have spoke to a broker some banks are an out right no but ptsb have said,

PTSB - “We are open to considering applications for modular type homes on a case by case basis, provided building will be structurally sound and comply with planning permission, building regulations and is signed off by qualified professional with valid PI insurance. Please note “traditional block/brick/concrete finish properties are only acceptable” and “log type cabin properties are not acceptable” as security to the bank

This is what is included in the price

With the exception of painting & paths, the house is essentially 'Turn-key’. Included in the house are,

Fitted kitchen (€2,500 allowance) including sink and extractor fan, you get your own appliances. You have a choice of kitchen colours and worktops.

Bathroom fitted (€2,000 allowance)

Laminate floors, choice of colours.(€3,000 allowance)

All wiring, sockets including outdoor socket, switches, LED lights, RECI certified.

All plumbing, including outdoor tap and connection to water, storm & foul drainage (services to be brought to the house & left ready for connection by client)

Fully insulated frame to current building standards (BER rating A2)

Heat pump with radiators

Mechanical ventilation system (MVHR).

Windows and door double glazed AA rated glass, can be up graded to triple glaze

Ground works and sewage not included and typically cost between €8,000 and €15,000 depending on the site and any wastewater treatment stipulations that may be in planning permission

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You say you can get a mortgage of €250k.

Would it possible to design the house for the budget rather than just trying to get the McMansion planted onto the land?

Thanks for all the feedback yes we are reaching out to builders also for a price of a basic 3 bed bungalow but as you know it's crazy prices at the minute but I'm not ruling it out. I just wanted to know what are the cons for these type of modular homes other than difficulty trying to get a mortgage, to me they look like a regular home , they have good energy rating.. I'm not sure who to reach out to for advise on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Mandy86.

You could to get unbiased independent advice from a Registered/ Chartered Building Surveyor or Chartered Building Engineer. Have them draw up a Specification of Works, to include all Electrical and plumbing and heating, windows and ext doors and everything else, so that the builders can give a quotation/ estimate based on same.

Do not take biased advice from a Builder.

it is easier to sell a concrete block house than some modular house.

A concrete block house is perfect, and a Timberframe house (conc block outer leaf) is perfect. And there are many craftspersons / builders experienced in both.

It’s very important that you should stay within your budget. Build only what you can afford.

A Bungalow with roof trusses gives a room in the attic that can be developed at a later date. (Fit all windows now).

The most important design in any house is getting as much free Sunshine ☀️ in to the house as is possible. Big Windows, -double glazing is fine.

A view is second to sunshine 🌞.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

look up SIP Energy in Athenry, Galway

Big, double glazed windows ???. Several clients desperately trying to stop new houses from overheating due to large double glazed windows. Also higher heating bill in winter due to heat loss.

• Advertisement

The designer of a dwellinghouse must comply with the Building Regulations in relation to areas and U values etc of windows.

Overheating? Thought we were in Ireland……And I’ve always wondered why people in Ireland don’t have Air Conditioning.

Higher bills from heat loss through windows…. In Winter???? Oh we are all going to die.

And there’s me still believing in Santa.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️🤶🤶🤶🤶🤶🤶🤶🤶

Limiting glazing to 25% has been removed from the regulations.

You obviously have never been in a house built in the last few years that has a lot of large south facing glazing.

The purpose of Part L is to ensure the "conservation of fuel and energy" whether you agree with it or not, and therefore triple glazed windows help in this endeavour.

As for your repeated snotty remarks on various topics all I can say is shame on you.

I’m very well aware of the Building Regulations and the 5 purposes of the Regulations.

Mandy86 asked for advice and this was your instalment:-

“If houses that comply fully with all the Building Regulations could be built cheaply then everyone would be doing it. Buyer beware !!”

What a Gem.

So with all the wonderful information and Help given to Mandy86, I decided to give her some good advice in relation to her 250k to build a house.

She should not allow a builder to give 1 porthole minimum sized windows to rooms because they are depressing and not good in relation to the purposes of the BR.

We have had double figure temperature in Ireland for the last many months. Any cosy analysis I have carried out on triple glazing using U Values and these actual temperature figures, the extra €1,000 or €2,000 cost of the Triple Glazing is not good Value for the amount of the increased loan to purchase same has to be paid back to the bank by the homeowners.

I am not the designer of Mandy86 house which must me designed in accordance with the Building Regulations

And then you criticise my advice to Mandy86, with a load of pie in the sky.

You mentioned shame. The shame is to be claiming by the people offering no proper advice, and then acting as a self appointed Critics to anyone who gives any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Claire589141

Hi mandy,

Did you build a brick house or a big red barn house

My partner and I are thinking of building a modular house.

As finding it difficult to get builders in galway.

Advertisement