Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opel Insignia 2014 new model reliability/problems

• 09-01-2022 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Just want your opinion on a Opel Insignia 2014 newer model. Looking to buy one with a 129k miles 2litre diesel Are they reliable or as troublesome as the the first model.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think they got better over time but dont know a whole lot about them either.

My biggest concern buying one is they become worthless very quickly so if you are spending a few quid on one dont plan on getting any of it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Resale value will be the biggest issue there. The oil pickup issues were sorted and there's no known dpf issues either. Heater plugs will be expensive of its a stop/start model as they have a sensor on top. We have the Zafira Tourer with the same engine and so far it's been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I’ve a 2014 model , 195k on the clock , still going fine , NCT due in March and hope to keep it for another few years, fingers crossed no costly issues , so far it has cost me very little in repairs , couple of glow plugs and normal servicing .

However my mechanic did replace the oil pick up seal in it , as it did flash up “ turn off engine , do not drive “, which can be fatal for the engine if you do drive on . I got it towed to my mechanic from my driveway .

Cant fault it really as a car , bought it with 5k on the clock and has been very reliable and nice to drive .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Had a 141 2.0D one for a few years. Never a day's bother with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

They arent a bad car but you have to keep them serviced. The issues I see on a daily basis are.

1. Glow plugs - expensive if they have the pressure sensor on them.
    2. Intercooler pipe on the left - a bastard to fit - still have the scars on my knuckles from the last one I did!!
    3. Coolant leaks - usually the expansion bottle but when you fix that the problem CAN move to the next weakest point - thermostat housing or water pump.
    4. Oil seal on the pick up for the sump - its not resolved and never was on these - I still see 16/17s coming in with the issue. Directly related to poor servicing or missing services - a lot of UK imports affected in my experience.

The good news- I very rarely see dpf issues or flywheel issues.They dont have as many stupid electrical problems as some Opels. Once they are kept serviced PROPERLY they dont give that many issue - by properly - an OE oil filter and decent brand oil. I have seen cheap oil filters collapse in the oil filter housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm surprised so many have good opinions of them. I've never had one or any direct experience, but of the few people I know with them, all were quite negative about often they needed repairs and the cost of same. But perhaps they were poorly maintained as others have suggested above.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ex - Reps cars more than likely. Poor servicing etc. Any of my customers that have them from new and serviced on the button never complain about them.

Second hand with dubious history ones are the ones to avoid.

Oil pick up seal can be an issue. Before you get the "turn off engine" message the oil light will stay on for a few seconds after you start the car, this is the early warning for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Yeah happened on mine ,but turned it off immediately and no driving .

I had read about this problem on the insignia and knew it could blow the engine . My ever reliable decent mechanic replaced the seal and didn’t rob me either .

Other than that , couple of minor issues and routine services , has been a faultless reliable car for me .

From 2014 onwards there's a plate in the bell housing to remove the sump bolt, makes the job much simpler as it's a gearbox off job otherwise.

I have a mate that runs a garage so any jobs I just send to him. Luckily it's been reliable so far. We've owned everything from the Corsa up through the astra and Vectra over the years and none have given any major issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had a late 2012 SRI 160bhp as a company car from new and it was a great car in my experience. 150k Kms trouble free in 3 years. Felt very planted on the road and could move when you wanted it to. They’re a miserable car in the lower specs, transformed by decent spec. The facelift from 2014 was a very good one in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Do the gearboxes still fall out of them like the first model? and the coolant housing on the gearbox side of the engine cracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Ah but Hellrazer works in the Opel dealer 😜 so many of these we sent for scrap I swear, its not even funny.

Gearboxes - No theyre quite reliable.

Coolant housing- yep . I fit loads of them!!

Doesnt matter where I work - I tell it like it is and Im no Opel fan boy for transparency.

Insignias and the 1.6 Diesel Astra are probably the most reliable in the range of the past few years. Their Peugeot based models seem a lot more reliable but only time will tell with that one as they havent really sold enough over here to give a decent opinion yet.

Advertisement