Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling my bike...Don`t know how much is it worth?

• 09-01-2022 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Looking for a little help / advice. I was an avid cyclist a few years back but ran into some issues with my lower back requiring a succession of surgeries over the past four years. Unfortunately, my cycling career is well and truly over at this stage and so I am looking to sell off my bike, accessories and equipment.

I have been out of the cycling game for the last few years now and so I`m pretty rusty on what bikes and equipment sell for these days.

I would appreciate if you guys and gals on here could give me your best estimation on what you think all this gear is worth together. (Photos at the end)

BIKE:

Cube Pelonton Race 2014 Edition (10,000 km approx) (Purchased 2016)

Rims: Mavic Cosmic Elite (Upgraded from original spec) (Mileage: 3000 km approx)

Front Derailleur: Shamino Ultegra

Rear Derailleur: Shamino 105

Forks: CUBE CSL Race Carbon

Brake / Shift Levers: Shimano 105

Chainset: Shamino 105

Saddle: Cube Selle Italia X1 Road

EXTRA EQUIPMENT:

Detachable Aero Bars: Synop Pro

Additional Seat Post: Profile Design - Fast Forward Seatpost For Aero Position

Additional Stem: Zoom Downhill Ahead

Pedals: Look KEO

Bike Pump: BBB Track Pump

Bike Box: LifeLine EVA Bike Pod

TECHNOLOGY:

Garmin Forerunner 305: With all accessories including heart rate monitor and instruction manuals.

MAINTEANCE:

3 Spare Tubes

Tube Repair Kit

Tyre Levers

Alan Keys

Multi Tool

Spare Skewers

Chain Tool

Other bits and bobs. Tyre caps, ect...

PHOTOS:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd consider maybe an asking price of 500 for the bike although I'm not sure if you'd be certain to get that. Maybe 350 or 400. Prices for second hand bikes are good at the moment so you never know. It's a nice bike but 10-speed, alu and used. Would be great for someone starting out with all of the small bits included.

I'd also consider selling the bike box separately, I think RRP on those was only about 120 but not sure if you can still find a semi rigid box in that price range any more. It is nice and a lot of people on here would be interested I'm sure. I'd even take that off your hands but I'm abroad for a few months.

Not sure if the Garmin or aero bars would be worth selling separately.

There is an adverts forum here where you might consider placing an add first - you will get less tire kickers than on adverts or done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

350 - 500? Dear god,, is that all it`s worth? Jesus, I was thinking in the region of double that. I think purchasing everything new, I probably spent like over 3K on over the space of a few years with upgrades ect... I think i`d rather keep it as an ornament than sell it for that price 😂But thank you for the value estimation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you think it's worth 1k OP then advertise it for that. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it at the end of the day.

Personally i would think 700-800 would be fair, everything's risen in price lately. What size is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

While there is a huge supply issue with new bikes the bike to work scheme makes decent enough bikes quite cheap as they are new you are up against that .For someone getting into cycling your whole lot looks a decent buy did you post what size the bike was i may have missed that .

Thanks for the responses...I actually did forget to list the size. It's a 54cm.

• Advertisement

Stick it up and see as has been said it is worth what somebody pays think myself 500 is a bit low for the whole lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The problem is that it is difficult to get the money back for accessories or other bits and bobs. If you consider the bike on its own - Cube seem to have moved away from rim brakes almost entirely but a new 10 speed rim braked alu Canyon is 999 and would be a better buy (delivery delays aside). A lot of people would then have B2W to bring the real cost down.

Aside from the bike box, I don't see any of those accessories really being worth anything significant on their own - even if they did all add up originally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It looks in good nick and is a perfect starter racer, put it up for what you expect, the market will decide. I just seen a bike for 4k new sell for 1.1k and it was in mint condition, only about 3 years old, but then I see beaters worth 200euro new sell for the same again. The market is what people are willing to pay and what people are willing to let stuff go for. Put it up for slightly more than you find palatable for negotiation and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd have thought (& presume cantgetnosleep meant) 450 ish for the bike alone.

Good starter bike. Wheels will take 11 speed, look mint, and should make 200 quid alone.

Everything else can be sold separately. It's very unlikely one buyer will require or buy the entire package.

How much for the box? :)

• Advertisement

Hi, I've decided not to sell. It's not worth the loss I would make on it at this stage. I'll keep everything with the view to some possible light use in the future should my back injury allow.

Proberly best thing not worth virtually giving it away hope your back troubles get sorted .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭secman

Evenually bike will be worth around €350. I sold a 10 speed Caad with carbon crankset , carbon forks carbon saddle, quatro wheels, full ultegra groupset for €320 last year. Age will eventually dictate value unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Am I the only one that loves that 10spd Ultrgra?

Well you gave that away! You should've got way more for that than a measly 350 quid! Please don't tell me it was a 56 :(:(

When you look at individual component prices, especially nowadays, there's a price floor below which bikes shouldn't fall. FFS, a set of tyres, tubes and an ultegra crankset will cost 300 euro and they're they are attached to a nice set of wheels and a top end alu frame for the same money. That's crazy value.

People with their must-buy-new goggles on, wheeling cable disc braked Claris geared gates outta shoos for 1499 euro, Jesus wept. :( :(. Bikes not fit to tie the toe straps on your CAAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No point being sentimental or precious about bikes in my view. They're objects that depreciate quickly that don't really have an intrinsic value, just a debatable utility to someone. A bike sold on here for 450 is worth....450 to you. A bike kept in a hallway unused is worth 0. As sure as the sun rises each morning the value of a bike drops every year until such point it becomes desirable or attains classic status whereupo0n it may rise again slowly.

For reference against your hoped-for value, I have a 2017 Lapierre Xelius sitting here with Dura Ace 9000 all round, lightweight wheels, and pro-level Deda finishing kit and I estimate it to be worth about 800. If I was to replace it with a like-for-like model in 2022 I'm sure I'd be paying the guts of €5k and do you know what, it just wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

😀😀😀

That's grand, so long as you know that nobody else holds the same sentiments about your stuff when you come to sell

It's the reason I never sell any of my stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i sold an older bike a couple of years ago; almost exactly two years ago, because it was bought by a nice french chap who was in ireland to to his PhD on viruses, and i was asking him what he knew about this newfangled virus.

i got €250; i'd been expecting to sell it for about €200 - and it was an aluminium framed bike with carbon forks in fantastic nick, good wheels, and 105 (albeit 9 speed) all round.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Garmin Forerunner 305 is 15 years old at this stage, its basically worthless.

It was a great watch back in the day but I'd question the quality of the battery in an old watch and you can get smaller/more functional watches for very little these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I see very little market for a pre-bluetooth garmin watch tbh. Not smart, and also a pain to upload having to hook up a cable.

You are probably somewhat hampered by Cube being a brand that has done fairly well at maintaining stock lines. Whoever buys is realistically going to have to service it too.

Anyway, I can see why you'd keep the bike, but bike box I'd question keeping unless you really plan to use it. Mines a pain in the arse to store, and I do plan on putting it into action at least once a year (well that was the plan pre-covid)

I've actually found the opposite. Everything packs away very nearly into the box and is perfect for storing everything. 🙂 Hopefully I can get the pesky back injury sorted and get back on the bike in some fashion next year.

Advertisement