Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WoT series gets greenlight from Amazon

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

First (teaser) poster shown over the weekend - Rosamund Pike as Moiraine . Also a Nov 2021 release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Teaser trailer is released today

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Eager to see some live shots of the series now. Have read the series through 3-4 times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

don't love the depiction of the weaves. Feels very slow and green screeny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well what did we think?

As someone who initially liked these books and then hated them. Path of Daggers is a publishing crime. I quite liked it... Granted my dislike for the series probably means people who liked the series did not enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have no knowledge of the books. I was about to start them years ago but then when I heard how the series began to spiral, I didn't bother.

So I have no dog in the fight. I thought it was reasonably enjoyable. Was fun to see quite traditional Fantasy on TV. I doubt it would pull in any Game of Thrones fans: ("Where is all the TnA? Where are the grim grim GRIM storylines and characters?"). The magical elements were a bit army-wavey and I believe that would put many more casual viewers off (Those who's introduction to Fantasy would be limited to Lord of The Ring movies and GoT series (As opposed to ASoIaF books)).

But I did find it quite enjoyable if not quite "Must see TV". I enjoyed the relationship between the Aes Sedai and their Wardens and thought that was well portrayed in the fight sequences (Basically giving them room to work). But, again, this is as a NON-reader. This interpretation may be sacrilege to devoted readers, I don't know. It will be interesting to see how well it did. Obviously LoTR is coming with a HUGE budget and huge fanbase, casual and more hardcore. But Amazon also bought a LOT more that wouldn't quite have the brand recognition that these have: The Magician, specifically. Can't exactly fill that with TnA and hardcore violence without offending EVERYONE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think it's on a knife-edge at the moment.

It wasn't a bad first season, good casting and acting. They had a few difficulties to deal with, both with shooting (COVID) and the plot (dealing with Mat's actor leaving).

There were some writing choices I didn't appreciate, like Perrin's backstory, and irritations like the whole "don't touch anything" in the Blight as she leans against a tree. Very much lacking attention to detail, even given adaption to the small screen. And WOT as a series is full of detail, that's what made it so good.

Ultimately I think they're going to screw it up. They've already shown that they're not going to fund it properly as the first season really could have done with at least 2-3 more episodes so they didn't have to cram the exposition in. I think they'll underfund season 2 and the audience will peter out. I very much hope to be wrong, as the books deserve a great TV series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It had GoT season 6 level funding per episode; their failure to use that funding in relevant ways is fully on the producer and the production team who could easily have made that stretch to further episodes if needed (GoT was $6 million at season 1; WoT was at $10 million season 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Really, that makes it worse. That's a serious budget to have, I thought they could have made some different decisions in that case.

I guess we'll see what happens with S2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's still the Egwene show.

I stopped watching after the first season though, the finale (written by the showrunner) was dire.

The lowest rated episode of the second season is also the finale ... again written by the showrunner.

He's not the person to do an adaptation of the Wheel of Time, if this qualifies as one - personally it's just his fanfiction with the same names and places involved - sometimes.

Real pity as it's likely the only adaptation I'll get to see in my lifetime. And unfortunately it's ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Season 2 was much better in my opinion.

I won't give anything away, but some really good (and bad) bits, more good than bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

bang average story getting a worthy tv show. Moraine and Perrin the only half decent storylines.

Advertisement