Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor's son passes away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Raichu

Far, far too young. poor kid.

RIP

edit:

feel it’s worth mentioning actually if anyone is feeling suicidal reach out to SOMEONE.

if you cant talk to friends or family

Pieta House: 1800 247 247

Text: HELP to 51444

Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Poor lad has been in turmoil with years. She said on Twitter that he got out of Tallaght hospital when he went missing.

All very sad. A parents worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

That’s truly awful news, RIP Shane

Very sad new.......may he R.I.P.

I hate the way " threats of lawsuits against HSE" are bandied about before someone get 'waked' or buried..... personally I think the days following such a sad event should be for grieving/ remembering.....not 'instucting' solicitors.....but then, maybe I'm old skool.

Anyhow, R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭airy fairy

It was when he went missing from hospital, Sinead posted on her Twitter about suing the hse because he got out. To be fair, any parent would write that in a time if frustration and the not knowing where their child was. Since he was found, she's been critical of the services, but no threats of lawsuits, maybe her followers, but not her. But even if she did, I wouldn't balme her, anger is part of grief.

I just hope this doesn't trigger her. She's been in a good place the last while. Would hate to see it undone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Tragic loss of a young life. RIP young man

Tragic. Thoughts and prayers with the whole family. Rest In Peace, Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,157 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP Shane.

Condolences to family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rip shane

Aw no..

Tragic..

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

RIP...My brother took his own life and it's the toughest thing I've ever had to deal with. Sincerest sympathies to Sinead and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's very sad. I can't imagine the pain they all are going through..

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Such sad news. R.I.P Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

So very sad. RIP young man. Another young life lost to suicide, and unfortunately it’s so common. Heartbreaking for everyone. I’ll never understand it, life is so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Irish media are completely ignoring the story. Nothing on RTE, Irish Times or the journal.

Irish people having to rely on foreign media to hear about an Irish story.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very sad and honestly speculation about the circumstances really inappropriate.

RIP 🙏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Irish media generally has an unwritten code around tragic deaths and particularly suicides and is genuinely sensitive to families at times like this. They’ll give space and won’t go into heavily detailed coverage.

They also won’t pester a celebrity on something like this. U.K. tabloids unfortunately, will absolutely jump on something like this and so will American TV. There’s no such sensitivity or notion of privacy.

If there’s a subsequent issue about an investigation or something like that, they will obviously cover it, but you won’t see Irish journalists jumping onto a story like this for the sake of just headlines or gossip. It’s tragic situation and they need space.

Still no articles about it on RTE, Irish Times etc despite Sinead posting the news herself last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

But the news has been confirmed by Sinead herself.

Had this been an American celebrity, we would already have an article on RTE about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

You seem to be more interested in the media than the tragic news itself.

May he rest in peace.

There are reports that he was under the supervision of Tulsa. If this is the case, this is a public interest story as there will have to be an inquiry. The Irish media should be reporting on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Very sad, far too young

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have experience of a similar situation. A family member commited suicide whilst on a psychiatric ward and on suicide watch.

I know many think that the "threat of lawsuits" is a money grabbing exercise. For some perhaps it is. However I know in my family's instance, that legal action was the only way my Uncle could get answers. It was slightly pre the HSE era, but the MWHB threw up obstacle after obstacle in his effort to understand what happened. The "how" was the answer needed, and that answer could help prevent a similar outcome from recurring for another patient and their family.

My uncle spent years trying to discuss the treatment and management of his daughter and the circumstances that surrounded her taking her life. Not to blame someone, but to try and grasp the "how".

The roadblocks placed in his way? After long struggle and effort on his part changed his mind from needing the "how", to wanting to find out why he was opposed at every turn and to seek at the very least a measure of accountability. That was corporate accountability rather than personal and again, it was in an effort to prevent similar circumstances leading to another bereavement.

Threats of lawsuits should never be made lightly, and in instances such as this tragic loss of a young life? Never without exhausting the alternative means of resolution.

That said? Much like it's predecessors 8n the Health Boards, the HSE still doesn't take responsibility or accountability seriously enough to ensure that a law suit isn't the best way to achieve either.

RIP to young Shane. I hope that his torments are over and that his family and friends can be a support to each other in the grief to come. May his memory be a blessing and a light in times of darkness to come.

I'm so very sorry for Sinead, Donal, and all their family at the loss of Shane. May he rest in peace.

All I will say about Tallaght hospital is - had a family member there on suicide watch many years ago. He walked out of the hospital, walked home (in his bare feet) and when he showed up at home, his mother rang the hospital to find out what had happened, and they hadn't even noticed he was missing.

It’s not about someone confirming it. Nor is it about one person. They’ll handle something like that with a lot of sensitivity. There’s a whole family and a network of friends impacted by something like this.

If there’s a public interest angle emerging about healthcare or how it was handled, that’ll get coverage but what won’t happen is just a rush to headlines.

It’s just a topic that Irish media treats with a lot of sensitivity. There’s a culture of respecting dignity in a tragic situation and you’ll find in general, no matter who it is, they’ll just be very gentle in coverage.

There’s a public interest in talking about the systems, weaknesses in services, etc etc but just jumping into headlines because it’s a well known person's kid is mostly just chasing headlines and clicks.

It’s a small country perhaps and it’s a lot harder to be completely remote from a tragedy.

Of course it needs to be handled sensitively but it comes across as censorship after a while if every foreign news outlet is reporting something and we aren't. The Journal has just published a story about it.

Everything is a conspiracy these days…

What I’m saying is you won’t get a rush to coverage and there is a lot of sensitivity in how it’s handled.

There is a lot more proximity and there isn’t really a large celebrity gossip press driving things like that here.

Issues around the health services and all of that will absolutely get coverage.

What you will see though in the immediate aftermath is people being gentle and aware of the impact.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s awfully sad. Been thinking about them all morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭juno10353

Thinking of Sinead, Donal and Shane's siblings, together with his friends. May they all have the support they need and be a support to each other at this sad and tragic time

Advertisement