Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Performance Spreadsheet - Analysis and data sharing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Look again. Post is now pinned. I PM'd the CMod.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

The installers already have access to the data for the ones they have installed through cloud. What this spreadsheet provides them is access to the data of the ones they did not install/pricing/reviews. This can be good or bad it all depends how you look at it and who is looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have updated my data there for the year.

Intersting spreadsheet, particularly cost per kWp installed and kWh per kWp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

"Cost per Kwp" is a bit .... meh. You cant compare across installations like that as the installation price includes battery (and often EDDI), so it's not a like-for-like comparison. Someone has a 2.4Kwp battery in the price and anther person got 8Kwhr battery....etc

I'd vote we scrap that column.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I actually think the statistics aren't fine grained enough to derive any useful conclusions, all they do is cloud the nuances of each system.

When you aggregate up like this you miss out on important aspects of each install - Is there a battery included in those prices? Is there a warranty? What types of panels? Do they have optimisers? Was it a DIY/self purchased install? Any extra electrical work required? How much shade does this individual have to deal with? And of course is it North Donegal up in the mountains by the sea full of fog or in the sunny south east?

@bullit_dodger beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

I agree to remove that "Cost per kwh". I almost considered attempting to change price of my system to remove eddi, cost of full house backup cabling/switches to be a more generic similar install to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

I have been watching EV puzzles youtube videos and have noticed this year he has changed out his inverter for one of this arrays a number of times.

He comments that he can notice a difference in inverters output in low light conditions, goes into some detail on this video. It appears of the 3 he has used huawei, solar edge and solis inverter the solis inverter performed the best in low light in his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_T980yYrEE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2pRH5QD70s

In Ireland and the UK we would benefit from inverters which are effective in low light conditions. I propose add a new columns for "inverter model". As we grow the data it may help us correlative which inverters perform best at certain months of the year. This could benefit new folks looking to purchase a system. If you could pick one which performs well in summer and excellent in low light, evening and winter that in itself would lower the payback period and help folks with smaller roof squeeze out more kWh out of their panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

Hi Jonathan. I do see that there is an inverter column called Inverter however I see value adding a column where the actual inverter model number (if we dont add another column maybe we could change that column name to be more specific) is added as it looks like different level of detail are being entered into that column. From a data point of view if we had the actual model it would be useful and we could compare that this solis inverter looks like it may perform better then this new model.

Given each install has so many different variables as it is - location, orientation, roof slope, different panel brands and kWp. I'm not sure how you could work out if one model of solis is worse better than another or any other brand.

Didn't watch the YouTube videos yet but he has an advantage in that he's changing 2-3 variables only - inverter, time of year and weather!

There is or was a company in Netherlands I think who covered their roof with different brands of panels so they could compare how each performed under almost identical conditions. Cant find link to it. Not sure if they did similar investigation of inverters. Similarly there is a long running battery test in Australia https://batterytestcentre.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Added an "Optimisers Installed?" column - suggest answers like None or string 1, string 2 etc.

Also I fixed row 2 - someone had written over it.

Propose we revert to version at 11:18 this morning (9 January) and re-add the optimiser columns. Someone b0rked the details sheet at 17:45 by adding filters, which is having knock on impacts for the other sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Not sure who or what keeps changing the spreadsheet numbers but it is needed up again today. First four months of my usage are removed and every other month is way off what I had entered when doing it last month for the year. Loads of other columns have errors too. Is there a backup from a previous day's that it can be reverted to?

Since I got no objections I just reverted back to yesterday's version at 11:18 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Someone moved the new users from the top to the bottom on the 2021 basic production tab and now some of the production figures are misaligned. For example, my production is now in graememk(dad)'s row. I won't change anything until we figure out what's going on and can revert safely.

• Advertisement

Easiest is just to revert like I did last week. Should be able to see which version broke it in the history.

Would you be able to revert again or anyone who can. Somehow yet again the entries are all messed up and all of my data and many others are now blank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Mine are all wrong as well. Figures for first 7 months of last year when I didn't have solar

I've restored the latest (what I think) was non-corrupted version.

The problem is people are "playing around" with the spreadsheet sorting the table to their wants/needs, but unfortunately not really understanding what they are doing. At the moment, anyone with the link can edit, but we may have to "lock down" to people with an EDIT link and leave it read only for everyone else. Trusting people not to share the EDIT link..... of course.

Can I suggest if you want to play around with the figures to simply cut-n-paste into an offline version of Excel and do your charting/analysis there?

Excel isn't rocket science... How the hell can people balls this up so bad lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

While people here may know what to do. Those in FB won't.

Looks good now. I am ok with making the sheet non-editable and then either share the link or give permissions to named signed in users. But night be easier to just put a notice up there tellimg people not to hit the sort button. Though I am puzzled how sorting could f*$% things up so bad. I just did a bunch of sorts and everything stayed fine.

You sorted it fine garo but your not a klep! :-)

Someone sorted the table, but only sorted on 2-3 columns of the data (the name and the size of the installation) and didn't include the monthly production figures in the sort. So the position of the names and the sizes changed rows, but not the data points attributing to those users. Nothing inherently wrong with sorting per say, but you need to know what your doing to the data. Similarly, every time I go into the chart all the charts and graphs are out of position and moved around. Presumably because people don't have 4K monitor, but that's what the scroll bars are for?! Or at least put them back!

I think lets leave it editable for now for everyone - as I like the fact that we are open for all. If it continues to remain an issue, I'll lock it down to and editable link and we can share that appropriately, with the proviso that people don't post the (editable) link in the forums.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

you dont even need to copy stuff into excel, just need to make your own copy :

Maybe reset the edit link and update the main post. With the new one.

• Advertisement

How is it even possible to sort 2-3 columns of data? Like they didn't use the pre-existing sort and selected columns manually to sort. Oh well. We all make mistakes.

Advertisement