Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disruption installing Dry Lining?

• 06-01-2022 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

So, I've just discovered this forum and will have to read a lot.

C Eastwood said in another post: "With insulation for Heat Loss reduction, you only need to insulate as much as is practicable." We're looking at a minimum retrofit for cosiness and money saving where possible. A visit by a one-stop-shop advisor indicated that we could do 10 PV panels, attic insulation top up of 100mm to 300 mm, wall insulation, and nine window replacements, for a 230m2 house for a total of about €24K inc VAT after SEAI grant. Details to be firmed up after paying a €615 non-refundable deposit for a BER assessment.

Most of the 1960s-70s house has cavity wall, that should be simple and relatively inexpensive to fill. Two rooms of the house are not cavity wall on one side, I don't know what it is, just panels I think with PVC cladding planks outside, about half the wall depth of the rest of the house. They recommended drylining but could only say "ask the insulator about that after we've started the project". I'd like to know more now. There are sideboards against that outer wall in one room and fitted kitchen cabinets in the other room. I understand that we need to achieve B2 to get an SEAI grant. Would it be enough to dryline the visible wall and hope that the cabinets provide some insulation? Otherwise all the fitted furniture would have to be ripped out and replaced and that sounds like a huge and expensive undertaking.

Separately, I'll ask about PV after I've read some more posts here.

Thank you in advance.

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mairbu

When I got drylining, all external walls had to be done to get the benefit - this included removing kitchen cabinets etc.

For roof insultation - do you mean attic insulation? if so, my recent upgrade was to 300mm - 100cm seems like an awful lot...

To be honest; I wouldn't be very confident with your supplier not being able to provide details and telling to ask after the project has started (i.e once you are locked in and have to proceed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Yes, I meant attic insulation, thanks for checking mairbu. My memory was nonsense, I've rechecked and edited to "attic insulation top up of 100mm to 300 mm"

Just for interest, roughly what was the cost to remove and refit kitchen cabinets? I could ask our local kitchen supplier, and hope they don't say "oh, we don't do that make any more, if there's damage we can't supply replacements..."

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mairbu

I replaced the existing kitchen units with new ones; so afraid I can't help with costs on refitting.

Advertisement