Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's illegal to exceed the speed limit when overtaking, but it's usually very unsafe not to. Suggesting not overtaking isn't a valid riposte.

One of these situations where the law is an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Im surprised there isn't much more resistance to this type of thing. Governments and d'EU have been hassling us for years slowly trying to kill off the whole car scene. You can bet your bottom dolla that the likes of Google are lobbying them for mandatory driverless cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the language being used is hysterical. trying to prevent speeding is 'trying to kill off the whole car scene'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is far from the only thing they have done. You have to look at the whole picture, what will it be like in 10-15 years time if they succeed in implementing all their nasties? I am guessing not a whole lot of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I'ts probably been said here already, but that extra throttle has saved me coming off a slipway on the motorway a few times, sometimes people are still half asleep on the road and they won't even pull to the right to let you get on the motorway. Nobody to the right of them or close behind or in front and they're still awkward.

So I like to have that acceleration in reserve to be able to safely kick myself well ahead....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's your duty to merge safely, not their duty to let you in.

if there's no one close behind them, you could slow down and cut in behind them. saying you were 'saved' from your own actions...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

You could always slow down and merge behind the car.

So what happens if you're caught between a rock and a hard place, do you just come to a hault on the motorway lol it's obvious you're not a courteous driver with that attitude. I always pull to the right if I'm heading towards a slipway..... just so the people coming out have a better chance of getting a clear run.

you are responsible for merging safely. good christ, you're claiming you were saved from an incident which would have been your fault if you'd collided. you were the one changing lane.

and somehow you've managed to come to the conclusion that i don't facilitate drivers merging on the motorway when i simply state the facts about responsibility. great use of logic there.

I think you get where I'm coming from, obviously I merge safely all of the time. It seemed to me you've come to the conclusion that I'm suggesting that it's safe to merge dangerously. Which is probably your gut instinct from reading my post. But look we're all adults here. I don't think we have to be trying to out do each other on virtue signaling.

On morning I was coming off the motorway off the Crusheen slip road and it was manic, and there was a trail of around 3 artics on the lane I was merging onto, and plenty of people behind and on the other lane I had to use the power to get myself out of it safely. There's been plenty of accident's on that stretch, people just half asleep and mozienig along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

The more you delve into something, the list of "edge cases" grows and grows to be a very sizable list. If each of these are then handled marginally different by manufacturers, rushed to production to satisfy legislation (rather than human nature) and lauded by politicians as road death magic wand, then there is a real potential that drivers will put far too much faith in a system that they don't understand and which underperforms.

ie:"I don't need to worry about  ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶ appropriate speed for the conditions, my brand new car handles it all for me".

As has happened with DRL's and "Auto lights", I'm confident that we have now have more cars than ever driving around in the dark with no rear lights on. I just hope we don't get similar unintended consequences with speed limiters.

Right now though, that's an extra feature, it's not a safety critical system that might cause you to lose engine power if it makes a mistake.

As an aside 2016 BMW cannot show my speed in km/h on a digital display, so I'm left with a tiny km/h dial or memorising a list of conversions. All other units on the car have been swapped to metric, but Cruise Control (hard coded to the instrument cluster) is stuck in mph. My previous 2013 could do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I literally used vcds to automatically enable my rear lights with my DRLs last week. Scary how many people think "it's not nighttime so I don't need my lights on"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Must requote that when people talk about cyclists and speed limits

When do people talk about cyclists and speed limits? When they want to distract attention from the 98% of motorists that break urban speed limits, perhaps?

Do you reckon that the dangers arising from driving a 1-4 tonne car or SUV at 60-160 kmph are anything near equality to the dangers of cycling a 10-20 kg bike at over 50 kmph on a downhill stretch?

Absolutely, tòo many cyclists unable to cycle downhill safely at 50kph, just because they have been legally able to in the past doesnt mean it should continue.

You didn't do physics for the Leaving Cert, did you? See if you can work out the relative momentums on both sides there and you'll see how 'near equality' they are. Or take a look at the KSI statistics (Killed or seriously injured) and look at the outcomes on both sides, and you'll see how 'near equality' they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Going to be some very interesting incidents when all these cars hit the road and Joe public goes for their normal overtake in their shiny new car only to lose power halfway though, can see a lot of very dangerous situations until people cop on to it!

Seriously one of my friends works for a main dealer and its ridiculous the things people bring their new cars back in for claiming its broken but its just some new safety system they don't know how to work like radar crash alerts, adaptive cruise or speed sign reading cruise control!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

on the continent its common that cars switch to the other lane leaving cars free to merge. I know a lot of foreign people that I work with all give out about irish drivers not doing this.

Even I think its a stupid rule. I always switch to the overtaking lane to let cars merge on motorways...too many times I have been behind some muppet doing 50kph trying to merge onto a 120kph motorway and they pull out in front of a stream of cars forcing them to change lanes and being completely oblivious to what they've just done.

just because it might be courteous or common sense to pull over a lane to facilitate merging, does not suggest that the rule that merging is the responsibility of the merger is stupid.

quite the opposite; if it became the legal responsibility of those on the motorway to let people merge it'd be chaotic; what if there's no room one lane over to move? would you have to hit the brakes to allow them to merge? how would that work?

Great argument for mandatory training for drivers getting into a new vehicle

I think there will be a lot of disabling of GPS antennae in future cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think it's gas that there's uproar over electric scooters and having their speeds capped because they are so dangerous, apparently, yet limiting cars to the actual speed limits is seen as crazy woke nonsense, even though there is still mayhem on the roads all the time. Look at all the folks who died over Xmas, I would think speed was a factor in most of these accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was looking at potential change to my car, and was looking at a Volvo V70 t8. Looking at the specs, I see that all new Volvo's are limited to 180km/h.

A quick YouTube later and I see that a guy using vdash, quickly updated the car so that the nav was enabled and the top speed was charged to 250km/h.

If someone wants to get around the EU speed limiting devices, it seems to be easy enough to do.

... Asking for a friend.. anyone handy with a vdash system in the cork area? Might be good to have a contact for the future.

https://youtu.be/nQh9FjeU1eo

The reason it's seen as crazy is because of the statistics on the causes of accidents don't justify it. This is a ridiculous sledgehammer being brought in to tackle a cause of only 6% of accidents. A 110db klaxon going off if a drivers eyes leave the road for more than 2 seconds while the car is in motion would likely save vastly more lives, or a continuous exhaled air sensor for the driver that prevented it's use if alcohol is detected would have a vastly more profound effect.

This fact free obsession with speeding is beyond farcical when 80+% of accidents are caused by distraction. Making talking in a car forbidden and having a mechanism to monitor for and 'disable' it, would, I believe, have more of a benefit.

It's like having a statistic that 94% of all burglaries being caused by people over 183cm tall and the police only stopping and questioning suspicious looking midgets in a campaign to tackle burglaries.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

There's a second part to this - education to aid compliance with limits. A speed limiter will not fix urban road deaths.

If 98% of motorists break urban speed limits, and speed is such an abhorrent danger that we need to enforce speed limiting devices, where are all the crashed where speed is a primary factor?

I'm not try to be smart btw, I know speed can be a problem from cycling in Dublin city - how do you actually get people to understand something which is exceptionally unlikely to result in a collision for them personally? It's mostly people accelerating toward green or orange lights - red light cameras would be much better used of resources IMO.

My driving tester would seem to agree with you. I broke the limit during the test and passed it fine. Paraphrasing here but it was along the lines of. "You were over the limit a few times, but I'm not concerned about that, you were keeping up with traffic. Just try to keep an eye on it in future is all."

I already predict the responses to me posting an anecdote which some people won't like. "I call BS, no tester would say this". "Yeak, that didn't happen" "Do you have proof of this?" 😩

i was told when learning to drive to always keep it at or just slightly over the limit so you won't fail, for failing to make progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I think driving should be a lesson taught in school like it is in America. I was driving in LA a few years ago on their insane motorway networks and the level of driving was incredible. Say what you want about Americans but you cannot fault their driving abilities.

Advertisement