Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemates not paying bills

• 30-12-2021 10:39pm

Hello,

What would others do and or not do in this situation?

I'm so annoyed with my housemates not paying their bills.

A housemate who moved in February 2020 - has always been messing up the bills.

I've been in the house four years, another housemate has been here for 6 years, another 3 years, another a year - said she's moving out don't know when.

With the electricity and the gas there under the names of previous tenants names from years ago. We get paper bill for electricity, we've an online account for the gas - no paper statement.

Since April of this year the gas bill has been all over the place. I send a message when it's out to our WhatsApp group to give a heads up. Some people have not been paying certain months bills, paying less. For two bills during the summer I was the only person who has paid.

For the wifi bill it is under a current tenants name - outstanding balances are being carried over also.

The housemate who has a bill under his name just wants to split what is owed, doesn't make sense at all. I've been paying my fifth all along, on time.

It seems anal to others only it gets annoying this behaviour. The guy who moved in february 2020 is a repeated offender with the bills and the housemate that has been here the longest would whatsapp me saying he's going to pay his share as its the easiest thing to do.

Being in your 30's in a house share would drive you mad or your just find it all ridiculous, the amount of times I'd find since the start of 2020 that all the cutlery has disappeared with nothing in the drawer.

Thing is, if a housemate moves out without paying outstanding amounts then it'll be on the remaining tenants to pay

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

throw their stuff on the street and get the landlord on their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Employ a firm of Attitude Adjusters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Cut the internet on them

Cut the power to their room

Throw them out. In case you haven't noticed the housing crisis, you won't have a shortage of people for the room

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Try not putting up with any nonsense.

One month behind on their share of the bills, throw them out. When the first one goes on his arse, the rest will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You have my sympathy because it is a very frustrating situation to be in

• Advertisement

True, would love to, only the guy who's been here the longest is playing softie softie - don't want to be the house bitch. You're right in the city, the guys who are late with bills are all paying under €350 a month for rent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

change the wifi password on them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someone HAS to be the house bitch. Because if Someone doesn't, then Everyone will find that the power or gas or whatever gets cut off.

I became that Someone, after the electric bill money supposedly forgot and left it in someone's car on holiday: I was the only one home, so paid the balance just to keep the power on. Moved out as soon as I could after that, took the entire lease of the next place myself, and insisted that a bills contribution be included in each week's rent. Did a square up every three months and gave refunds if the kitty was fat.

Two men enter, one man leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

say it to the person directly and ask them what the issue is? and tell them it cant keep going on like this. if it doesnt work then its time for them to move out. easier to be direct. Call a house meeting. also keep a tally on who owes what and send them reminders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well in the real world you can’t interfere with other peoples property nor can you force anyone to leave unless they are leasing of you…

Talk to your mates one on one to build up support and then call a house meeting to discuss the issues and try to establish house rules and responsibility.

And the bottom line: if it does not work you are going to have to be the one that moves if you are not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sounds to me like you have to force this issue. These tenants who do this would gladly let you pay their way. So refuse to pay the gas bill, refuse to pay all bills if you must until all this has been sorted.

You'll get stung in the end if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It isn`t worth the hassle OP, move out. I wouldn`t be paying other peoples bills either which seems to be what your other housemate is suggesting. Pay your fair share and look elsewhere.

It sounds like you need new flatmates, or need to live on your own.

Your flatmates sound irresponsible and immature, perhaps because they've got away with similar behaviour in the past and have never been properly punished for it. The best predictor of future behaviour is recent, past behaviour. They have likely never been held accountable for their actions and sanctioned accordingly.

It could take years to remedy immature attitudes like that. It won't stop overnight, nor through a casual conversation.

Cut loose, and try to move - preferably with as few housemates as possible, and - when you move in - clear ground-rules should be established and not brushed under the carpet in the hope that things will inevitably go okay. They often don't, which is why these open and honest conversations need to be had at the very outset.

That way, both sides can live in harmony without any "awkward conversations", let alone hostile conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Chang we the password on the wifi router. Only people who pay up to date get the password. Say theres 500 euro arrears. Each person must pay 80euro a month until its all paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

House shares. Where to begin? Dealing with fully grown adults who behave like children. So like a dealing with a child, remove treats and privileges until attitudes change.

It shouldn't be up to the OP to leave, esp if there isn't anywhere to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If they move out the landlord deducts hats owed out of their deposit

If only though, we tend to look after the bills ourselves, never once when one of the people here was moving out did the agency ask about bills. We as tenants look after this. The thing is don't know who is not paying. A tenant moved out before and we as the four remaining split his share - shouldn't have really. Thanks for commenting, that is how it should be and the tenant that's been here the longest has stupid ideas about dividing the share of outstanding bills - our gas bill has been outstanding since april

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Too much girl talk in this thread. Op pm me and I’ll discuss the right, correct and most efficient way of eradicating this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

I didn’t read the entire thread, but if they refuse to pay their share of the bills you can easily take them to court - the District Court.

As long as you have proof of them owing money for bills, refusing to pay, then you can take them to court. People like that deserve it.

I hope it goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,269 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not the best time to be looking to tell you the truth, OP needs to become firm with the tenants or get the landlord involved.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement