Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WITB 2022 - What's in the bag for 2022?

• 03-01-2022 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

See these types of posts and threads elsewhere, so why not here?

Here's mine:

Driver: TSi 9.0 Stock settings, HZRDUS Black RDX stiff 6.0.

3 Wood: Cobra Speedzone, Tensai blue av 65 stiff.

4 Hybrid: Mizuno CLK @ 20 deg. Speeder stiff shaft.

4 Iron: Cobra Utility with stock setting, Catalyst 80g stiff.

5-PW Irons: Mizuno PX 921 Forged, Nippon ns pro 950gh stiff.

Gap Wedge: Callaway JAWS MD5 50/12W, True Temper Gold.

Sand Wedge: Callaway JAWS Full Toe 54/12, True Temper Spinner.

Lob Wedge: Callaway JAWS Full Toe 54/10, True Temper Spinner.

Putter: Odyssey ProType Black 2-ball 33".

Balls: Seed Pro1 Yellow. Also, I use distance balls from Decathlon and Srixon in casual rounds.

Two of my favourite clubs are the putter and hybrid which I picked up 2nd hand through adverts for small money (4i also). The rest were acquired through the year and I won't be in a hurry to make any changes as I'm broke now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Thoughts on the irons? Mizuno irons always look unreal. Getting fitted in a few weeks toss up between them and the srixon zx7s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Huge fan here. I had a set of 919 forged which I bought on adverts. I always said I'd get fitted if my HC went down below 15 WHS and it finally did. I tested all the heads possible and it actually came down to the zx7s and 921 forged. I was just more consistent on the Mizunos. Didn't think I'd end up with them before I started the process tbh. I was thinking I'd end with something stronger lofted. The hot metal pro and Callaway apex irons for example were rocket launchers but there was the odd jumper that went 10 yards further just didn't suit me.

The other thing to come out of the fitting process was that my old shafts were too low flighted for me. The new ones have a much higher flight. Much more noticeable on 5-7i. They're a bit lighter and I just find it easier to be consistent with them. Go in with an open mind, you could easily find that P770s or even Cobra irons end up more suited for you. It's actually a very enjoyable process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Callaway Epic Flash 8° Even Flow Green

M2 16.5° Stiff

3I Mizuno Fli Hi °16 C Taper Ligt

4-PW JPX 900 Forged C Taper Light

54° SM8

60° SM8

Taylormade Spider X

Prov1 X

Nothing changed in a few years really aside from going back to Prov1x after trying other balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Can I ask where you got fitted? I got a fitting previously but it was all Mizuno/Cobra with them. I like the look of Taylormade P790s

No problem, it was Mullingar Golf Academy. James Quinlivan is the guy who fitted for me (he's the owner and also the pro in Mullingar GC).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash

Fairway Woods: TM Sim 2 Max

Irons: 4 - PW: JPX 900 Forged

Wedges: Cleveland RTX

Putter: Odyssey Double Wide

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This will change quite a bit in the next few months, as i'm getting myself a new putter this month, and new irons and 5W/rescue in March/April, but currently its as below.

• Driver - Sim Max
    • Woods - Sim Max 3W
    • Irons - 4I-PW TaylorMade Aero Burner
    • Wedges - Vokey SM7's (48, 54, 58)
    • Putter - Ping Piper H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Expecting a bit of change this year as I'm going to get fitted for irons and possibly upgrade some of the rest of the bag.

Driver Sim - Ventus Blue Stiff

3W - Mavrik Sub Zero - Even Flow Stiff

Irons - 4-PW - TM Speedbladez Reg

Wedges - 50, 54, 58 SM8s

Putter - Toulon Design Las Vegas

Only got back into golf last year and joined a club, handicap at 10.3 and think the irons are holding me back from my goal this year to get to single digits. Never been fitted before for anything so should be interesting. Not sure where to go though, Mount Juliet seems like a good option as nearby to me but they don't do Titleist or Mizuno irons which are what I have my eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Driver tm sim diamana (blueboard) xstiff 

3w tm m2 xstiff 

3hybrid cobra king tec xstiff

2i mizuno mp-h5 xstiff

4-pw calaway apex pro 2016 dg x100

50 & 54 calaway wedge md4

58 cleveland rtx4

tm spider putter

That's 15 clubs, the hybrid is new and means I've to take out one of either the 3w, hybrid, 2i or 4i before I start the round. I'm still trying to figure out if I like having a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

The guy I went to in Tramore does Mizuno and I was very impressed with him. He doesn't do all the brands, but does them, Srixon, Wilson and some of the less common brands like Muira, Orka, Gimar.

My bag for the year

Cobra Speedzone - 9 degree, stiff shaft

Ping G10 3 & 5 woods, reg shafts

Srixon 4 utility - some 80g regular graphite shaft

Srixon zx7 5-PW - some 90g regular graphite shaft

Taylor Made R11 AW, SW

Callaway Jaws LW

Taylor Made Rossa Daytona putter (or something like that, could me monte carlo).

I'll probably try to swap out the two Taylor made wedges - they are from my old set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Srixons are the others I like the look of. I'd just be a bit worried if I didn't like the feel of them would my options be limited by going there? Foregolf gets great recommendations but its a long spin for me here in Carlow. Carton house seems a good middle ground but again I'd probably be looking at a half day off work if not longer unless I can get a weekend spot. Foregolf seems completely booked solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Back playing in 2021 after a 10 year sabbatical so did a bit of a bag refresh. Wedges, hybrid & putter still the same as 2011. New driver and Irons. Newish 3w.

Callaway epic speed driver. 10.5*

Taylormade M5 3w. 15*

Adams idea pro gold hybrid. 18*

Srizon ZX7 irons 4-PW (46* pw)

Vokey spin mill wedges 50* 54* 58*

Scotty studio design 2.5 putter

I joined the board society so hopefully see ye this year coming. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Major changes since the last time I did one of these. Will go a bit GolfWrx shaft nerd on some of them below:

Driver: Cobra RadSpeed 9.0° (set to 10.5°), Oban Devotion High Balance 55g Stiff Shaft

3w: Callaway Epic Max, Mitsubishi Chemical c6 Series 60g Stiff Shaft

5w: Callaway Epic Flash Tensei AV Series 75g Stiff Shaft

4h: Taylormade RBZ 65g Stock Stiff Shaft (Old reliable, won't leave the bag till it falls apart)

5-AW: Taylormade P790 Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour10 Stiff Shafts

54° & 58° Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges, both 10° Bounce S-Grind, Dynamic Gold S200 Shafts

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab No. 7 32" shaft

No photos as they're in bad need of a clean 😊

Post edited by spacecoyote on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Ping G410 LST Driver 9.5 degree set in neutral with a 65 gram stiff shaft

Ping G410 5 wood set a degree down to 16.5 stiff 65 gram shaft

Ping G410 3 Hybrid set a degree up to 20 degrees stiff 70 gram shaft

Ping i500 4-UW Stiff KBS 120 tour

Titleist Vokey SM7 56 & 60 in 8 degrees of bounce M grind

Ping TR Karsten Zing

All seems to be working okay although I don't love the Ping clubs we have a working relationship, keeping it together for the good of the child (handicap). I plan to get new wedges this year and am always playing around with the putter. 22 could finally be the year of the Scotty

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Cobra Rad Speed Driver Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff 10.5 at 9.5

Cobra Rad Speed 3W Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff 14.5 at 13

Cobra Rad Speed 2H stock stiff ust recoil / OPTION Ping g400 5w

Cobra Rad Speed 3H stock stiff ust recoil/OPTION Ping i200 3i

Ping i 200 XP95 Stiff 4 to u(50')

Ping glide 2.0 Black 56'

Scotty Cameron Fast back

Cobra all new this autumn. Replacing G400 Max D...Callaway XR 3W Still in the locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scotty_golf9

Driver - Cobra Fly Z 9.5D Fujikura Motore F1 55 s

3W - Taylormade M4 Fujikura Atmos 6s-flex

3i - Mizuno MP20 HMB Utility N.S Pro Modus 3

4i - Pw - Titleist Ap2 2018 N.S Pro

Wedges - Vokey SM7 50(8,F), 54(10,S), 60(8,M)

Putter - Taylormade TP Berwick

Have the driver since i started playing but always loved the look of the taylormade drivers, especially Sim2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

From looking around at peoples bags lately - my equipment is a disgrace - way too old and to be honest actually worn out. (all my gear a good 6/7 years old)

I need a full new set up - but - I have massive expenses this year - So it could be another year looking a bit rough, I need to zip up the head cover to hide my gear to be honest.

Huge value to be had in the next couple of months on the last couple of years gear. Either discounted new or used. As soon as people start picking up the new releases, there will be plenty of value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Titleist TS3 Driver Diamana Blue Stiff Shaft

Titleist TS2 Fairway 16.5 @18 Diamana Blue Stiff Shaft

Ping G410 Crossover @22 Degrees Stiff Shaft

Ping i210 5 to UW DG 120 Stiff Shaft

Ping Glide 3.0 Wedges 54 & 58

Odyssey White Hot No.1 Putter

Ball - like to use ProV but too stingy so normally something cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 scotty_golf9

If anyone is looking to buy a new club and dont want to spend huge money, i got my M4 3 wood and Mizuno 3i off golf bidder. There second hand clubs but they rate the club head, shaft and grip out of 10. If you get 7 or over, I think its worth getting, even if you have to throw on a new grip yourself. I couldnt complain with my clubs that came. It worth having a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Driver : Ping G30

Hybrids: Ping G Series 18 and 22

Irons: Taylormade Burner OS (11 years old and needs replacing)

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50 F grind (hate this clud), Vokey Sm6 54 S Grind, Texan wedge 60 (for bunkers, actually cant use it not in bunker)

Putter: Oddysey 2 ball with alignment lines

Nearly everything except hybrids and putter could be replaced this year. Only thing stopping me I just paid 127k deposit on a gaff. Slight optimism on mortgage size

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

14 of:

Titleist Woods

Titleist Hybrid

Titleist 2iron can't remember model

Titleist U510 4iron

5-GW TaylorMade P770

Selection of Vokey SM Wedges

Wilson Blade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ping G 9° set to 9.75° stuff stock alta 55 shaft (adverts and a good solid driver)

Cobra Speedzone F9 14.5° (bought new McGuirks, don't love it)

Callaway Apex 19 3H 20° (bought cheap new as older model)

Callaway Apex 19 4H 23° (adverts for almost the same price as the new one 🤪, having both regripped with Midsize plus 4s)

Titleist 718 AP3 5/6-PW (adverts, had half an inch added and regripped with jumbo grips)

Vokey Sm4 48° (Halpenny new at the time on sale, currently having half an inch added and regripped with midsize plus4)

Pron 52°, 56°, and 60° (new from Amazon with midsize grips as standard, surprisingly good, would prefer vokeys but can't afford to pay for the marketing 😅)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (bought new in 2008 and will probably never use anything else although maybe I should 😬)

Would love to get fit for the entire bag, but not too likely anytime soon, so will continue dumpster diving and adverts lurking, alongside getting the pro to tweak things.

Have found the changing of grips revelatory and not something I ever thought of previously. Had been suffering with tendon issues on and off for years through grip pressure and poor technique. Fitting the midsize on the woods/hybrids and jumbo on the irons has helped hugely. Would recommend anyone looking into it who hasn't thought of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Callaway Rogue driver 9 degrees fujikura Pro 65 shaft.

King cobra F9 3/4 wood mitsubishi c6 mid flight,mid spin set to 16 degrees.

Taylor made M6 4 and 5 hybrid mitsubishi c6 shafts

Mizuno jpx 919 forged 6 to Pw kbs tour 90 shafts.

52 and 56 mizuno t20 wedges

All foregolf built.

Taylor made spider x putter (mcguirks)

Titleist prov1x or Taylor made tp5x ball.

Garmin approach g80 gps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

TaylorMade M2 driver 2016 version- 10.5 with stiff hzrdus 6.0

TaylorMade rbz 5 wood, stiff shaft

Cobra fly z hybrid set at 21 degree, stiff shaft

Titleist 712 Ap2 irons 4-PW, dynamic gold superlite x100 shafts

Cleveland 588 wedges in 52 & 58

Odyssey 2 Ball putter

Currently using Seed Balls

Nearly everything in bag is up for replacement. Driver and putter am happy with. Everything else is fine but I haven't bought clubs with years bar the driver second hand last year so would like to upgrade a bit

On irons maybe something more strong lofted but still appealing to look down at , more what's called " players distance irons" category. Old irons were foregolf built

Better gapping with wedges needed too I think, feels like big gap between pw going about 125 yards and 52 around 100 yards

Used Seed balls last year but price isn't looking as good this year so might try something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I had a similar experience very recently.....was fitted to the JPX 921 forged...went in interested in the TM P790s but found them too strong. Didn't try too many to be honest as found the forged very consistent and they just felt right.....what can out for me from the fitting is an issue with a closed face at impact (fitter reckons it was partly a set up issue) and whatever way the JPX 921 forged lined up for me, i seemed to set up better with it and my misses weren't as bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Driver: Ping G400 - Aldila RIP 55g Stiff shaft

Fairway: Taylormade Rocketballz 3HL - 61g Miyazaki Stiff Shaft (in the bag the longest)

Hybrid: Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid set to 20.5° - 75g Stock Stiff shaft 

3 iron: Mizuno MP-18 MMC FliHi 3 iron KBS C-Taper lite stiff shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-921 Pro 4 - PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: 50° & 54° Taylormade MG 3 Black Steel, 58° Cleveland RTX4

Putter: Odyssey Stokelab 7s 33"

TP5 x ball.

I swap between the hybrid and 3 iron but mainly the hybrid is in the bag.

The 7s has been my "go-to" putter for a few years but I have a few & change it out quite a bit, for casual rounds.

The driver is most likely next to get changed, really interested in the new Callaway Rogue ST. I hit one today indoors and I'll be bringing the demo out on the course this weekend. I don't like the stretched look of some drivers behind the ball and it has an impact on how I swing the club (ridiculous, I know!) but I haven't tested anything that beats the G400 performance and forgiveness yet.

Trying this bag set up for the "new season":

TM Sim Max 9 degree driver, stiff shaft

TM Sim Max 3w 15 degree, stiff shaft

Cobra f9 7w reg shaft

TM M4 5h stiff shaft

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 6-PW

Mizuno T22 50, Vokey SM7 54, Vokey SM8 58, 62

TM Spider X (or Evnroll ER5 TBC)

Gonna give that a go for a few rounds anyway. Decided to see how an extra wedge goes as find i don't use much on the long end of the bag and most approaches are from 7/8i up and i stuggle with non-full shots. Options to change to include 3w to a cobra F9 5w, maybe dropping the 7w for a cobra 4 utility, 5h for set 5i or drop one of the wedges for a long club.....did a review of my stats and figure my proposed arrangement might make better use of my 14 clubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The reg 7 wood seems an odd fit in that set up Marcus, does it work well for you.

• Advertisement

Ha, yeah I knew that would be picked up on alright! I previously carried a 4h but was struggling a bit with it and read a few things about how 7w was becoming popular due to height and distance combo so came across this cheap on adverts. Been hitting it very well, getting 220-230 odd out of it…it’s very easy to hit….not enough gap to 5w so decided to see how 3w goes….the reg shaft could be an issue if I play more and get my swing speed up…currently around 95 according to my LM so probably already too high for a reg shaft…..will be keeping an eye on it….

Advertisement