Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cubicle Lime

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    wonder how much they are or would it be quicker to just use a yard brush and a wheelbarrow and shovel? Can think of alot of other things i would buy before buying one of those

I seen it down in tom Browne's in cork. Fanastic job I tought 250 cubicles cleaned and limed in a matter of minutee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

whelan2 wrote: »
    wonder how much they are or would it be quicker to just use a yard brush and a wheelbarrow and shovel? Can think of alot of other things i would buy before buying one of those

Easily picked up second hand for ~ €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

use white rhino, sanitise and agrical here, as a mix, never had a problem, and always pretty clean. used to use saw dust but that was stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Dawggone wrote: »
    Clean once per day.
    It's slurry really as the straw is chopped to about 2 inches so mostly stays on cubicles.

Would it stay on the cubicles enough not to murder an auto scraper & slurry channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

kowtow wrote: »
    Would it stay on the cubicles enough not to murder an auto scraper & slurry channel?

No bother. When the straw is well chopped the cow doesn't drag much with her when reversing out of the cubicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

From the Magentadirect website. I use the 10% mix.

When it comes to cubicle lime there are several grades on the market.

GREY/GRITTY: The most basic ones are GREY in colour and if you rub some between your thumb and index finger you will feel a GRITTY TEXTURE. This grit can be hard on the hooves and will tend to sink to the bottom of the slurry tank. The pH of this lime is generally between 7.5 and 8.5 which doesn't kill bacteria but does soak up the moisture helping to prevent the bacteria growing.

WHITE/FLOURY: The next type of lime on the market is WHITE in colour and like FLOUR in feel and touch. This tends to come from Quarries from Northern Ireland. They are generally run through a roller mill which gets rid of all the grit.

Farmer feedback tells us that this limestone goes much further, they cover more cubicles with this product than with the grey type limes. This has a similar pH to the grey lime.

HYDRATED MIX: There are a number of cubicle limes now on the market with a % of Hydrated Lime (Rhino or builders lime) mixed in. The % mix varies from 10% to 30% with both the grey and white limes used as the base material.

The advantages of this type of product is that the pH levels are raised considerably (approx. 12.5) which will kill most bacteria. Farmer feedback tells us that the lower 10% hydrated lime mix results in the same bacteria killing power as the 30% but with a much lower level of skin/teat burning.

FULLY HYDRATED: The final product is FULLY HYDRATED LIME which is excellent at killing bacteria but has the downside of been hard on the teats in certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

Old thread I know but going to be ordering some lime soon. Maybe over the weekend if the bad weather keeps. Does anyone know the cost of buying a bag of Sanitise? I was going to try it out. Our else I'll stick with the usual the 10% mix. Also going to buy pre and post calver mineral blocks. I normally buy from Kerry Co Op but if anyone knows of a good deal going let me know. Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Any of ye have lime spreader for the cubicles and how good is it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

have a vink one that you carry

it’s quite heavy so not great for the joints long term

neighbours have a proper push along spreader from Connacht agri

seen happy with it but he’s re wired it himself as wire was too light and burnt out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Another option would be to leave a tonne of lime somewhere in the middle of the shed if ye can, at least it would be a shorter trip back and forth and can carry smaller amounts then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Can you regulate how much lime you give out or is it trial and error with the drill speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No, just walk speed with the vink

think you can regulate the connacht agri one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I gave up using the vink spreader. Slower to fill slower to spread when full. Back to a bucket and jug

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Alot seem to have gone away from the vink.would be looking at something like the one on the bobman.planning to mount it on an old lawnmower

Advertisement