Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining a club for a handicap

• 01-01-2022 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have played golf on and off for 15 years and only ever played ‘competitions’ in a pub society and have used stuck with that handicap ever since.

I'm looking to join a club for as cheap as possible just to have the ability to get an official handicap that I can track.

Any recommendations around Dublin or Meath for a cheap club to join for the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Blessington Lakes GC have a 150 Euro [pay and play option. Its 550 euro to join as a full member from now till the end of Feb 2022 which may suit better if you intend to play regularly and are living within a reasonable driving distance. I am biased as i am a member there but well worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Andrew93

150 is great for what I’m looking for. Once I have joined a club I can get my WHS correct? After that I just input my round scores and my handicap will update am I right? Sorry for the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

You can play in competitions in the club as BL have opens every other week but id guarentee that once you join as a P&P member you will be so impressed with the club/course and the camaraderie of the members that you will upgrade to full membership..Either way you cant go wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seems like a good option for someone on the fence about committing to a full membership somewhere

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

It's some price. I hear it's a terrific course.

• Advertisement

Probably a stupid question but would that mean I have to pay to play in the open comps or would they be free to me as a member? I’m living in Ratoath so Blessington isn’t a million miles from me. About 30-40 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

On a pay and play, you have to pay a green fee to enter for every round you play, as well as a competition fee. You're not going to be getting free passes to play golf at 150 a year.

I did it years ago in Grange Castle. Was about 300 for membership and then, if I remember correctly, around 18 per round, and 2 for the competition, so 300 + 20 or super week to play.

They're good value if you don't play a lot of golf at your home club. You'd need to do the maths to determine the max number you could play before just joining a club fully would become better value

Rathoath to Blessington Lakes is a Hike in fairness Andy, pay an play members pay 15 squid to enter midweek opens and 20 for weekends all in. Full members pay 5 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Can I ask, how often do you play and is it weekend or mid week mainly?

if living in Rathoath you have a lot of decent clubs on your door step.

if you pay 300 to get a handicap and pay on average 40 per a round 30 times a year, taking membership of a club locally would make more sense and improve your golf plus wellbeing massively and still work out cheaper and give you better access.

clubs beside you looking for members are Ashbourne, Black Bush, Corrstown and many more and might be able to match your budget.

Thanks for the reply.

It will be mainly weekend or evenings after work (when possible with young family at home).

I was looking into courses locally but the thought of having to always play the same course isn't overly appealing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Roganstown / Swords have pay and play for €400.

7 day access to Swords and Mon-Friday on Roganstown, and pay a reduced green fee each time you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

That’s something a lot of people say but rarely say after joining a club.

most average clubs will have joining fees in the next few years so I think now is the time to join a club, but I understand the young family issue. Hard to keep everyone happy.

This was the one I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on as it's probably 10-15 minutes drive from me.

Also gives you the option of 2 courses rather than one.

Are you a member there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No connection to it at all. Used work with a lad who lived beside it and was a member, played Roganstown a few times with him. Nice track, but at the time needed a bit of TLC. It was in the early 2010s and got the impression that, back then, funds were a bit tight for the hotel and course. From what I’ve heard it’s kept in good nick again these day

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

+1 for Roganstown. I've a pal who is a member there for a good few years and very happy. I'm not a member but play it at least twice a year. It's a good spot. And course is very well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

+1 to this. I joined 2 years ago just to get a handicap so I could play opens. I did play plenty of Opens but the summer of 2020 I played the Midweek and Weekend Comp pretty much every week.

Thanks for that. Actually just speaking to an old friend and turns out he's a member in Roganstown so going to bite the bullet and purchase the membership.

Thanks for your feedback and input.

Any recommendations for someone based in munster and would I need to play 3 rounds to get a handicap at the club?

Howya Frisbee r u still a member of the Blessed Nine😊

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

If you’re looking to join somewhere relatively cheap, play 3 rounds and get a handicap, Lismore have a distance membership for €200 as long as you live over 50km away. It’s a 9 holer, quite enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Don't worry about that... There is so may advantages of being a member that you don't see until you join... You join a club and there is a sense of belonging, this is my club... You also find that while the course is the same you try and figure out ways to crack it... You look at your golf more and you will be among friends who get to know your game as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Playing one course a lot isn't at all boring. Different days will change it and your form will change it. And you'll go through phases of finding particular holes more challenging than you should. And it'll encourage you to learn certain shots that might be particularly useful on that course that otherwise you might not bother with.

People who don't have a home course are missing out in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

What about Bellewstown? Right on your doorstep and a lovely friendly club. They have a membership option where you join for €399 and then pay reduced green fees each time you play. It might be ideal for someone like you looking for a handicap and a start in a club.

The course is long and hilly in places but there are some cracking holes and you get a nice workout as well 😉

Advertisement