Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best places to sell/trade/donate old games/consoles?

• 31-12-2021 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Please move this post elsewhere if inappropriate, I wasn't sure where to post.

As the title suggests. I'm looking to let a few things go.

I have the likes of a PSP, PS3 and a PS4, none of which are worth very much any more I know, as well as an assortment of random games.

Do gamestop or CEX still accept consoles as old as the ps3 as well as its games? I have done a wee bit of research and seen some sites online would pay €15/20 + postage to take them off your hands, are they legit?

Is it worth selling on facebook/ebay, or are there other alternatives? I imagine there must be so many for sale already it would be difficult to find a buyer, and if it would be worth the hassle.

Has anyone any experience of this, is it worth the effort? What are the best options in regards donating the stuff somewhere, I'm half thinking of just donating to a local charity shop if they accept working electricals.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Raichu

Cex do yeah.

there’s also The R.A.G.E for PS3 (I think) and older.

if you don’t mind I’ll PM you about the PS3 cos I’d happily take it!

The PSP also!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Cex website will tell you exactly what they'll pay. 50 ish each for a PS3 and PSP, 150 ish for PS4 but model specific (some worth more), just search there . Could get more on adverts.ie but might take longer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Thank you, now to figure out what in gods name the exact model of psp and ps3 they are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'd be surprised at the price some games go for. Some psp and ps3 games go for good prices. Do some research before you get fleeced by cex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I put a ps2 on adverts recently for 20 quid and there was a clamour to get it, seems I probably could have asked 50 for it. Check what sort of prices they go for there?

I feel like I have a couple that may not be worth much right now, but probably will be in the medium to long term, crisis core for the psp perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭peter4918

You will probably not get much for them. Would you consider keeping them?

It’s only in recent times I regret getting rid of my old consoles as newer ones came out. Like NES, Super NES, Megadrive, PS1 etc.

Since the PS2 I’ve kept them all. Don’t know why but it’s great to turn them on every now and then. One of the young lads loves gaming now and is fascinated by the older consoles for some reason. Mrs not so much but they are in the garage not taking up much space!

I'd love to keep them all!

I miss the old mega drive, ps1 and ps2, long lost and gone.

I have a psp, ps3, ps4 and ps5, a switch, a GBA and a decent gaming laptop right now, from just accumulating things over the years. I rent, and moving is always such a hassle the more you own. I generally try to donate clothes/books and the like. Decided now is the time to let some of the games and consoles go before the pile gets ridiculous. I don't actually have a huge amount, but there's a solid 20 games on the chopping block as well as the psp, ps3 and ps4 just to free up space.

I'm sure some of the stuff will eventually be rare and relatively valuable, but I don't have the storage space really, working from home the past few years has really highlighted that! I'd rather some people who want to use them have them rather then things just wasting away in some box here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement

It's a white 320gb slim, a fine beast that has survived many student houses over the past decade.

I've had a couple enquiry's via DM so it has provisionally found a new home.

I'm probably just going to take the ps4 to CEX and give them the shrapnel games I know are basically worthless.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice or gotten in contact btw. I was half expecting no one to reply to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sony consoles are going for decent money. Especially if you have the boxes.

I know GameStop are giving silly money for PS4s trade ins at the moment (€200-300) depending on the model. That can get boosted with a level 3 account.

The PS3 are also going for over the odds on eBay. Check that out before you do anything with cex. That white PS3 on eBay is going for up to €2-300.

PSP is 50-100.

Could be the bones of €4-500 there.

Cheers for the advice, no boxes any more I'm afraid, and in ok condition, working perfectly but definitely showing its age, controllers are knackered!

On the gamestop situation, I do have a level 2 account, I don't suppose they pay cash or would I need to just trade the ps4 off against another purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think they do offer cash but much less. You could trade it against a ps5 then flog that for retail price for the cash. Maximize the money but a lot of faffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anakonda228

Everyone has taken a ton of old games to Gamestop expecting a fair price for them but been totally ripped off. Instead of getting a couple bucks from a video game store, donate your games to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Ya, you miss out on some money, but these organizations will receive a ton of revenue from your old games.

That implies you could find a GameStop with a PS5!

Advertisement