Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shed Design

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Have a shed here with an overhang on it. Would like to put up another row of bays opposite it. Anyone know if this is possible? Not sure how the girders would join?

Have put a little side view diagram with the black dash line being a girder (where cattle would eat out of the barrier)

Not sure how another row of bays opposite it would join up to have enough space through the middle for a tractor for feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Why do they have to join up? put up a mirror image opposite existing. If you did want an A roof single shed remove overhang and continue roof pitch up to a central point( depending how wide a passage you want) Make central passage as wide as you can either way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was in a yard few years ago and the lad had thrown up a mirror as you suggested above, maybe 500mm between them, was barely any rain falling in the feed passage, fresh air but not windy, thought it was a savage setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Well the overhang is from the girder so I'd guess it would be a bit of work removing that overhang.

I'm thinking if it was just mirrored the otherside, it wouldn't leave much space in the centre for driving through. And I was thinking if the two were joined together, the girder on the opposite side could join onto the overhang girder. I would think if the girder of the opposite side wasnt joined to the overhang then there'd need to be support girders (similar to the dashed line).

Ideally one bay would be for cattle so a girder there would be no problem but was hoping to have the other bays fully open with no girders to allow for easy turning/storage.

Would be good to see other peoples set ups or if there is a thread for those kind of things here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd put a similar shed opposite, with a gap, only cost you a few extra girders, and you can put the feeding passge any width. In weather like we're having at the moment you'll need the gap in the middle for ventilation.

For comfort the passage needs to be 5mtrs + wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

I was thinking cattle only, you want clear span. Simplest is leanto off high pillar ( height ? ) but think you'll have to remove overhang anyway as wasn't designed for adding onto. usual slope is 15% so 1 ft drop for 5 ft horizontal so depends then how wide you go gives your height at eave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you not just mirror your existing shed and continue both rooflines you to meet at the ridge? Steel girders can be bolted between your existing stanchions and the stanchions of the mirror image shed you are going to put up. Make the passageway whatever width you want.

You can leave it open or tin down a bit and put on doors at either end.

Removing the overhang wouldn't take a team of shed erecters very long to do.

How wide is the overhang? You could mirror the existing shed and put a guttering down the centre to capture any rainwater/snow etc and ensure your passageway and fodder is not harmed:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Fine Day

If you are going down the Tams route the shed you are joining to would need to be grant spec. But as the previous post said earlier put the shed up as a separate structure. Seen it done and was a fine job. The shed I seen was about 5 foot higher than the other shed so the the passage way is well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I don't think there's anything to be gained by tying into existing shed, simplest job would be to mirror existing shed and if worried about gap in the middle of feed passage then you could leave new shed either higher or lower and let it overlap existing roof. We have a similar type of job done here.

Is there a gutter on old shed on the overhang?

Thniking about it if you go that route then i would probably tie into old shed at either end just so you can hang a door between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think Teagasc have bolierplate templates for sheds. If you google them you might find them.They might not have one that would suit your situation though.

The department have their specs also but they are more useful for reminding you of things you might have forgotten or not considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭dmakc

Sorry for hijacking - The shed design in red below is TAMS-approved, but we've been told by the shed man that blue would be better for various reasons (we agree). Would something like this affect the TAMS grant on an inspection? It would be noticeable to naked eye that the apex isn't central anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any internal pillars? If not, the blue shed might be in trouble if it has snow sitting on it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Yes I should have included those. Would have to stay put due to slatted tanks etc. Shed man has plenty experience so I trust it to be structurally sound, TAMS inspection is my only worry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Slighty hijacking but is there much point in covering feeding passages.does it make much difference to silage.have an overhang and i m thinking of taking it off the shed as its too low for zero grazer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Tileman

Unfortunately op I don’t think you can change the design for tams. They will only pay it if it has planning approval. They might allow you if you hit the new drawings stamped by the county council planning office. However the design is different so unlikely they would do it for you.

it’s one of the problems with tams. Most builders won’t entertain you unless you have planning permission and by them it’s too late to make changes.

I wouldn't if I were you. You might be just be just unlucky enough to get an inspection. Stick to the original plan if you can. Is your current plan showing a low overhang that restricts machinery size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I changed plans and made the shed a bit bigger. I left it a meter wider and got an email from the council to say this was ok.

I changed the shed design also. As long as it’s built to spec you share alright. Ended up with the 60% after an inspection.

don’t take my word for it though. Contact your planner or the department just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

A dangerous question to ask these days but any idea what are the costs approx of a 2 bay double with just slats in half of it? Thanks.

I would think a 16 foot 6 tank on one side all grant spec penned out with a 20 foot passage finished out with slat mats etc would be up in the region of €70k I'd say in today's money at least including the vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You will be allowed change your design, you must get new drawings stamped by county council and ask your local Dafm office to change, there should be no problem as you are not acutally changing the floor area.

Thanks, Would you know if council stamp is quicker than it takes for the initial planning? And would the drawings have to be done professionally or would the original drawing with changes do (if changes are insignificant)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I would imagine new drawings would be needed for the areas that are being changed. Should be quicker as you aren't changing floor size of shed. I would contact the dept first to confirm its possible to change it before you go doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭lmk123

Do any of you know if you can get the 60% grant to fit a tank and feeding passage etc. into an existing building. Basically I have an unused hay barn approx 50ft wide and an adjoining lean-to cubicle house. Whole thing is approx 60ft long. The building is in great condition it’s only about 25 years old but obviously not an ideal system as everything has to be scraped out to an open pit. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with similar in the past or knows if it would even be eligible for the 60% grant as obviously the older building wouldn’t t be up to current standards even though it’s perfect in reality.

Advertisement