Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yearly PV Generation Thread

• 13-11-2021 4:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have a monthly thread but I thought it might be an idea to post Annual Generation data here if folk have them.

This might prove useful for those looking to install.

Midlands

4.1kWp SW, 3.3kWp NE

8986kW imported (two EV household)

5230.1kWh Generated

4638.60kWh consumed

2197kWh to Eddi

566.5kWh to Zappi

Highest was 26/05/21, 43kWh

34% self sufficient

Monthly cash saving based on average daily load and all non-load items like dishwasher/washing machine/immersion at night rate, €542.18

So 13,624.4kWh in total for the year, driven mostly by EVs, then water, then household

IF i was on FIT and IF it was say, 5c/unit, I would have "earned" €29.58, I'm not even going to do the maths on that as I'm quite confident my peak usage charges would oblierate those "earnings".

I'm planning to install a near identical system over coming months and install a 20kWh battery too.

I hope this annual data puts to rest those installers who say you can save €1k plus, outlandish PV forecast and likely the highest electricity charges too. I could easlily boost my savings by using the highest rates out there and ignoring movement of night rate items to day during Summer but that's illogical.

On course for ~9year payback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Interesting idea. I've had my system for a bit over two years but will give calendar annual figures. So only 2020 for now:

2020 4.8kW E/W 2.4kWh battery. Charged battery at night rate in Nov and Dec only. EV from Sep 2020

Production: 4147.7 kWh (Predicted: 3782)

Highest: 31.4 (May), Lowest 0.6 (Dec)

Total Consumption: 6734.3 kWh

Export: 1151.4 kWh (predicted: 1105.1)

Import: 3738 kWh (2045 Day, 1693 Night)

Savings @ 15.58c : ~450 Euro (assuming 200 units used at night rate)

And this was a good year because of WFH I was able to use more PV than otherwise and consumption was higher due to being at home too. 2021 would be better due to the EV and Zappi. On course for production of 4200 kWh and an export of 595 kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭denismc

My totals for the last 3 calendar years.

My setup is 2.08 kWp South facing, Cork, I should also mention that my roof pitch is about 45 degrees which seems to be a factor on my higher than average production.

2019: 2061 kWh

2020: 2128 kWh

2021: 2113 kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

System: 3.9 kWp South facing

2021: 3451 kWh Generated

Peak day production: 24/04/2021: 26.4 kWh (perfect curve)

Estimated yearly generated consumed (2021): 1440 kWh if a units €0.20, yearly saving approx €288 per year.

Estimated yearly exported to the grid for free: 2011 kWh .

EV purchased this year so hopefully will be able to capture some of that excess solar been exported, help with the payback period on the system. If I could capture the same amount I consume in the house at 1440 kWh with the Zappi on eco plus mode I would be happy.

Could half the payback time on the system after the charge point cost is recouped.

Thoughts on the Year of production

I have concerns about the solar production on hot sunny days such as 21/07/2021. Hot and sunny not a cloud in the sky however lots of dips due to some challenge with the inverter, panels or grid due to the power or heat. I can imagine if the solar generation was constant my production would be higher this year. I will be watching the inverter this year on those sunny days to see if any errors show on the inverter or check if it could be due to voltage rise on the grid causing it to cut out and throttle.

Seems like others experienced these drops too from reading the daily pv production thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Interesting. Do you have temperature telemetry for the inverter? e.g.

Just wondering if your inverter is in the attic and it's getting too warm and then going into "idle mode" or something. Although that wouldn't really explain the "spikes" down. it would tend to be limited more for duration. Still it does seem to happen more in the afternoon from your chart above

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Grid over voltage is a common error when exporting. Inverter shuts off... And waits a minute, voltage drops, so it starts ramping back up..

• Advertisement

Thanks mate - out of curiosity can you define more what you mean by "gird over voltage". Are you saying it's trying to export out to the grid at over tolerance. i.e. the 230 +/- 10%, so it would be greater than 253V, as a result it shuts off? Is that what you mean?

Yep grid goes too high and "out of spec" so the inverters shut off for safety. Happens more in rural areas esp of the voltage especially if it voltage runs high. Eg the voltage here is often 245 ish..(although now I'm pulling just shy of 10kw and it's 224)

Ive also seen over frequency errors flag up overnight at times on the me3000. But it's overnight and it was sitting in standby anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DrPhil's stats

6.2kWp (2.8 south/3.4 west), 20kWh battery, Zappi & Eddi – Donegal

Aug to Dec 2020 - 1.46mWh

Full 2021 - 4.68mWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

2.5kWp installed

Sept 2020 - Sept 2021 3MWh

Well actually 30Wh shy of the 3MWh, but I'd probably burn as much typing the exact figure so I'm rounding up a pinch.

Sunny South East, South facing.

Edit: I'm missing 4 days stats so it's just over the 3MWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 fluffykre

I dont have temperature info with the inverter however it is in the attic. It could likely be the temperature. I will set up temperature collection this year

• Advertisement

Close enough to a year done, heres my totals:

8.64kWp on a 6kw inverter,

12 degree roof, NE/SW 50:50

10kwh Battery storage, 20.27c Day/5.83c night

Total 2021

Generation : 6542.2kWh

Solar Used Directly : 2089.6kWh - €356.96

Solar Used Nightrate (eg solar generated before 9am): 237kWh - €16.76

Battery Charged (from solar) : 1989.4kWh

Battery Discharged Day (charged via solar) : 1180.9kWh - €270.59

Battery Discharge Night : 439.5kWh - €31.27

EVSE Divert : 636.5kWh - €46

Battery Discharged From Grid Charging : 1126.4kWh - €110.17

Export : 1589.7kWh

Total Savings : €814.99

Having a 10kwh battery saved 412, solar alone (with ev divert) is 419.

So just under a 10 year payback so far

Edit:

Average is 17kwh/day and 25% exported over the whole year

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

2021 4.8kW E/W 2.4kWh battery. Charged battery at night rate in winter. EV and Zappi.

Production: 4194.5 kWh (Predicted: 3782)

Highest: 33.5 (May), Lowest 0.4 (Dec)

Total Consumption: 9159.3 kWh (That EV sure bumped up consumption. Used to average 5400 before.)

Export: 595.2 kWh (predicted: 1105.1) (Export almost halved thanks to the EV)

Import: 5560 kWh (2040 Day, 3520 Night)

Savings @ 19.89c/9.85c : ~645 Euro (assuming 700 units used at night rate/car charging) (I didn't pay this rate all of last year but this is the rate now. Probably paid closer to 16.5c on average so actually saved ~536)

For 2022, I have a larger 10.2kWh battery so I expect export of < 100kWh, much more of my usage to shift to the night rate and the Energia EV plan becoming a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Temperature could be an issue but inverter would logs errors/warning for this. For solis inverter log into the cloud, select devices, select inverter. At the bottom choose the date and then export detailed data. This will create you excel file. There should be a column(Inverter Temperature(℃)) see what you have there.

Total 2021 4.5kW South in Meath

Generated : 4055kWh

Imported : 4146kWh

Exported : 125kWh

Charged : 1587kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

4.65 kWp North Dublin (split SE (2.17kWp) / SW (2.48kWp winter shading) 

5.7 kWh Battery

PV power generation: 4287.70 kWh (Predicted: 4144 kWh)

Feed-in: 1157.60  kWh

Load:       5178.57  kWh

Grid Consumption:   2048.47  kWh 

Charge:             1732.70 kWh

Discharge:          1703.00 kWh

Eddi:               No idea as had power cut and looks like it resets its counters back to zero!!!

Saving:             652.79 euro (594.26 euro PV) (58.63 loadshifting - grid filling battery at night rate)

For 4 months of the year my panels perform worse than https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html stats suggest due to shading from neighbours house and tree got about 50-70% of expected. But on the plus side every other month I was between 94 and 121%. (four months 115-121%)

** Edited to fix missing load line which screwed up some of the other figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't have as much stats as most as I don't have the ability to monitor my self consumption or export.

2.5kw SAAS install from December 2020:

For the full calendar year 2021, this generated 2.6659 MWh. At say 20c per unit, this would equate to €533.18 of electricity generated.

Outlay to pay for the panels over this period was €239.88 so pretty much 45% of the value of the electricity generated. I would say that we are using more than 45% via self-consumption as I am working from home full time so I would say that we are actually up money overall.

Haven't noticed any significant saving in energy bills as we had four price increases over the year and we are reaonably heavy night-rate users, putting about 11 kWh into our PHEV each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

4.7 E/W split in Cork, no battery. Generated 3.9mw. 1.4mw of that went in to the water tank. 700kw exported. Pretty happy with about 80% self use. A big chunk of the export was when we were out of the house on holidays for 2 weeks during the best weather of the summer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, I've had the panels for a full year, now.

They were installed in late March 2021.

The 11.5Kw system generated approximately 14.5MwH over the course of 12 months. At about (it varies, but it's a good average) 12c/KwH, that's $1,750 I didn't have to pay the utility. However, payments on the installation for the year came to about $1,800, so for now, at current rates, it's a wash.

Yes, I'm still in Texas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

1st Solar PV Birthday Party 🎂 😎 🥳

South facing 4.83kWp system, Dublin Fingal

5.006MWh generated (4.47MWh estimated by PVGIS SARAH2 estimate)

912kWh exported (81.7% solar self-consumption)

2.438MWh imported (84.5% night rate*)

* I don't have ESBN meter reading from day of install, but closest meter reading is 387 days ago, so includes three weeks of pre-install usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

1 year of install for me today!

Dublin - Lucan - 26th October 2021-26th October 2022 - 7.12kW total installed (S: 3.45kW, E: 2.41kW, W: 1.38kW). E&W Optimised. 5KWh Battery, (30 S & 22.5 E/W degree pitch)

5.874MWh generated

2.494MWh exported (58% solar self-consumption, 42% exported)

^^^Created - Usage vvv

1.774MWh live use + 1.709MWh battery discharge (68%) + 1.641MWh imported from grid (32% usage)

Some of the excess generation/adds to self use consumption so approx 0.5MWh was for hot water (eddi) which would have partially reduced gas need over the year.

5.124MWh consumption total (import, self and battery usage)

Like a good few others, I passed the yearly installation anniversary there recently (Oct 27th to be exact), but since I only report on full months - it's only now that I have the full 12.

Installation is 5.3Kwp of panels split 1.5Kwp East & 3.8Kwp West (exactly 90/270 by the way), coupled to a GivEnergy 5.4Kw inverter and 8.2Kwhr battery. In sunny Dublin 16 - LOL. Here's the data.

Some thoughts/observations.

With the mining, I'm in a semi unique position that I can scale my load up/down to virtually consume all the units I produce, so for most of the year until late July (when I installed an additional 2.3Kwp on the shed), you can see I exported virtually nothing <10 units month. From August on, the shed added to the generation that meant I was exporting a little more. The above grid doesn't include the shed generated, except indirectly the amount exported from the house as the shed helped cover the house load, so the stats reflect that in the original installation being able to export more as the house loading "reduced" meaning my original installation had more units to divert to the battery/export.

Payback timeline for me (excluding any crypto coins mined) would be 7 years as I paid €8500. If I include the crypto, it's 3.5 years as I mined €1,300 in the 12 months. Mining however with the Ethereum migration to "proof of stake" has meant it's not as profitable as it was. (About 1/5th the value) So that won't continue. But I view my payback timeline as 7 years. You could argue that if I wasn't mining then I'd be using less, so my payback is longer - but then again, I don't count FIT in any of the above (still haven't gotten paid from SSE - and probably wont), so one sort of balances the other. Different people will have different formulas, some including depreciation, or "loss of opportunity costs" on that €8500, and that's fine - and would come out with a longer/short timeline. Rock on. My formula/thinking is 7 years.

For those of you looking at what "real world" yields are, you can note that Mar (421 Units) -> Oct (233 Units), the system produces a very healthy and useful amount of power. Nov (99Kwhr), Dec (58Kwhr), Jan (103Kwhr), Feb (162Kwhr)....while it's something, with an average production of 3-4Kwhr/day it's not going to be doing much - that said, it's a few quid off the bills. The battery here was saving me about €30/month - although I had an issue with my battery for Nov+Dec which was replaced, so that's why it was lower above. Jan was the first "correct" month for battery. The savings of €193 a year with the battery is only the savings generated from grid in at night time. You also have the battery for storing solar energy and using at day rate. So the real savings with a battery for me is about €350-400/year

Technical performance:

Some observations.

Many of us will know this already, but with the poor "slant angle" the East/west split has, it does pretty poorly in winter. You can see that the highest output, even on a sunny day in December was 1409watts off 5.3Kwp. So approx 26% of the max rated power. Conversely in summer I've seen the inverter handle regular spikes to 5600watts, which is the realistic max I would expect. That's not to say E/W is bad, it's not - and if you have this as your roof in some respects it's actually the best (debatable) as you get a much longer power curve during the day, rather than a huge spike at noon which sometimes is difficult to manage all the power. For example, with a lower (but longer) generation curve, you can put on the washing for 2 hrs and then the dryer after it. With all the power coming quickly in about noon with a South facing array, it's harder to manage that. Battery of course helps, but if you are producing 5Kw and the battery can only charge at 2.5Kw.....you can see the problem! FIT has changed the landscape a little since I got my installation put in, so what wasn't completely a good strategy before has now become viable, and vice versa.

The production verses the PGVIS results are pretty good. Generally, I beat it by about 15%, with last March being the obvious outlier. (It really was a great month for solar)

Overall thoughts

Pretty happy with the installation. Battery works well for me. I'd buy one again, but it really does depend on your consumption. I've somewhat of a unique ecosystem with the mining and using that for heating is another benefit that I'm not burning fossil fuel (natural gas). Still haven't turned on the heating yet and it's Nov 1st first as I write this - but while the mining allows me to heat from electricity, it's not powerful enough to heat during a right "beast from the east" cold snap. So I'll have to fire up the boiler eventually. :-(

What would I have done differently?

Not much. I am adding 3x panels to the roof shortly, but it wasn't possible to do this originally as I would have violated the 50cm gaps that the SEAI guys want to see or they will deny the grant. With it being my dime, I can drop that down to 30cm and get 3 more panels up there.

Panels panels panels are the key (mostly). You can actually have too many panels, but it's hard. Real hard - to have too many. Max your roof is the single biggest piece of advice anyone can give you, that and stay away from the gougers in the market place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

@bullit_dodger incredibly useful post, in particular the detailed data and performance stats. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just passed the Yr 2 milestone, major update since Yr 1 is the addition of a second array in late August

Midlands

Array 1: 4.1kWp SSW with Winter Shading, 3.3kWp NNE

Array 2: 2.73kWp SE, 0.91kWp S, 3.64kWp SW (all neighbourhood shading/optimised)

10,189kW imported

6,342kWh Generated

4,891kWh consumed

2,513kWh diverted to Eddi

1,499kWh diverted to Zappi

Approx 9652.3kms of range into the EVs

Highest was 55.7kWh

44% self sufficient (excluding EVs)

35% self sufficient (including EVs)

Cash saving based on average daily load and all non-load items like dishwasher/washing machine/immersion at night rate, €619.70.

Since install day1 I've now generated 11,572kWh with 88% self consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just passed the 1st year of install at end of Nov. so have put together a few details.

8.16kW in South Roscommon 200° and about a 35° tilt, doubled battery in Sept. to 9.6kWh

Monthly totals are:-

We are with Energia for the last couple of years firstly on a fixed rate then changing to day/night when we got an EV in July '21 and subsequently changed to there EV plan at beginning of August:-

As well as the above covering any car charging we have spent €101.82 at public chargers in the last twelve months and average about 17000km's annually. Looking at the car alone has provided considerable savings.

We also currently have oil heating using about 1000ltrs/yr and are currently looking to change to a heat pump.

Very happy with how things are performing and glad we got the panels when we did. Will look at adding more down the line as a diy project, current inverter is maxed out as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭DC999

Man, that last table shows the benefit of solar. Bar winter, you’re only paying 50-100 quid every months on kWhs - and that includes the car charging. And before you deduct FIT. That’s unreal. Ok, you’ve a big South setup which is great. Hats off to you! 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thanks DC999.

It is when you start looking back at the twelve months you can see the benefits and I think it is only when you get something like the PV that you really pay attention to what you are using. Considering most of the Energia bills are standing charges (rural) then we are doing ok.

I have no doubt it is a benefit for most people and we are thankful that we are in a position to be able to pay for it, not all people are. There really should be more of a push to show the benefits of a well planned and installed system.

Now to get my head around the heat pump situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭DC999

For sure, we're lucky that we can afford it. I constantly count myself lucky that we don't have to worry about energy bills. And, for the 1st time, I notice when my elderly neighbour has her gas boiler running a lot. And I'm thinking that must be costing a lot. Not an easy time for everyone.

Would be amazing to see more of a push from the State on it to somehow make it more available for those on lower incomes. I know some will say it's only €50+ per month for solar as a service, but that's more than some can afford.

Or to even get on public buildings (once the roof suited it of course). I worked in a State org and we leased a brand next 6 floor city centre building for 25 years and weren’t allowed access to the roof (as tenants). So likes of solar is not possible, unless the landlord decides to install themselves (which they won’t when tenant pays for power). The roof is of course the same footprint as the floor - which is large for all new buildings on the Liffey in Dublin. Ok, roofs on commercial buildings tend to have a lot of ducts, masts….but the fact that none of them (that I have ever seen) have solar tells a story.

If there were public buildings plastered in them that the general public could see it might help. There's an education piece for people to see the benefits. It was only when I was getting quotes and reading up that I realised it was light levels not temperatures.

Anyways, off topic but very much linked to the benefits of solar. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Bump!!

here is the yearly PV thread for reporting later on, for your convenience..

There is also a website that was developed by one of the boardies on here developed that you can enter data into as well. Its very handy to compare systems in a graph the address is www.pvstats.eu link here PVStats

I must update mine as I havent done it for a good few months but it would be a good idea to complete it out since its the end of the year.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

7kwp S facing W Dublin on 6kw inverter

Very happy with 85% self use, 2023 should be a bit higher as I only added 20kwh batteries in April of 2022. Or less as I plan to add another 1kwp shortly.

1400kwh into the PHEV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

2.5kW due south array in Dublin 12.

Annual production up slightly from previous year. Still on deemed export but have my FIT rate setup on the app, if was receiving even FIT rate for all produced electricity (not using any), our FIT payment is over double our cost for SAAS.

SAAS has been actively making us money since FIT introduced if not before

Post edited by Alkers on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

First full calendar year and produced 7,010 kWh on my 6.1kWp system just south of Cork City

Best Month was August at 925 kWh

Best Day was 28th May at 44.5 kWh

Rough estimate my PV system saved me €940 in PV generated used at day rate. About 43% should be more next year as I only got my EV in July..

I got FIT off Electric Ireland of €320. If I had a smart meter I should have got around €815 from February to December (all before Tax!!)

Out performed most months from the PVGIS estimate apart from JUNE of all months! that month was a disaster.

My aims for next year is to obviously increase my self usage but with the FIT at €21c Im not too concerned. The EV should help matters as I only got it Mid July last year so missed the best of the years production. Plan is to get a smart meter installed ASAP but struggling as I am down the priority list for EI as I have a day/nigh meter already.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement