Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juggling multiple job applications

• 01-01-2022 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Hey , new to this stuff

I've applied for multiple jobs some much better than others

I'm expecting interviews so what's the best way to juggle these so I get the best job. I really don't want to turn down a job either

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I think you're jumping the mark a little. There's nothing you really can do until you see if you have a clash of dates, Then you can reschedule or prioritize.

Edit: On re- reading it appears you are expecting to get more than one offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

I think you would be unlucky to end up with a clash as the previous pattern noted. Many interviews are via zoom now anyway, so would need less likely to clash as no travel time.

I would always advise to take the first offer you get, another offer might not come. You can always rescind your acceptance of an offer if a better offer comes along, it's not nice but happens. But no point in applying for a job you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Sorry ya I'm not used to applying for jobs background is self-employed

Best pays 2.5 X the worst so what if I get offered the worst first while I'm waiting for the interview on the best

Need to make sure I secure A job

Can you start and leave a job , wouldn't like to do that either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's a fair spread. You're basically talking about, say a 40k salary vs. a 100k salary. If you are realistically, or even aspirationally, hoping to be considered for a 100k salary, why would you even consider the 40k one?

• Advertisement

Covid just need a 9-5 for sanity

Pay spread is 20k to 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

Of course you can leave a job. It doesn't look great but if a much better job comes along you would be mad not to. If you had interview for 2 a week or two apart, and got offered the first one, you could accept and delay your start date to see how the second interview went. Like once you are offered one provisosionally it would often take a little while for them to send you the contract, first they would check references, if garda vetting is needed that adds a few weeks, occupational health assessment is needed for some roles. It is often several weeks from provisional offer to contract stage and it is only once contract is signed that someone would give their notice. So there is an expectation of some delay.

Ok that was my query

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is also the concern that future potential employers might look at your CV and think "Why is this person applying for a senior role in my firm when they can't even rise above the bottom of the ladder where they are?". It might not be applicable for your case but it is possible in general

It wouldn't apply if you qualified to do X (@50k) and while you were waiting for a role to open, you went and worked in Dunnes for a few months. But if the roles were broadly kinda similar, then it would be applicable.

Advertisement