Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was 2021 for you?

• 30-12-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭

The pandemic lingered on. Weather was bad in the spring. We got a great chance to make silage etc and a good back end too. Went into partnership with eldest lad and he is increasing the suckler herd which might not be a bad thing the way input prices are going. So how was 2021 for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Tileman

Built a new shed. Delighted with result but pity I didn’t build a year earlier. Cost well over budget. Got a few other pieces on tams. Made great fodder during summer. Worked from home for most of it with no official e as a result of covid.

great lamb prices. Was a great year really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Positives:

Bought a house, Great lambing % and lost none. Got a promotion. Spent loads of time with family.

Negatives

Lost the fitness i had built up, had a broken rib from football, got a bad dose of orf, Father got a bad bout of covid. Kildare won feck all.

Definitely a good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not a great one. Family illness and working from home during Covid has led to it being a pretty poor year all round. Hardly been out the door since Covid started.

On the farming side of things it's been okay. Got plenty of fodder gathered up and a few less cattle so winter has been very stress free this year. Got good prices for most of what we sold. Disappointing weights for some of this years calves, but having sat down and looked through them I've got mitigations for most of it and hopefully now they are in shed they'll kick on.

Will be glad to see the back of it regardless of how things went on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

A good year here farming and health wise. We had our 1st baby and he's doing well. Bought a good bit of machinery , drainage and reseeding and have 14t of fertilizer left over for next year and should have a pit of silage left over. Only down side is I had more cow's than I'd like not incalf. Showed up with cysts at the pregnancy scanning. Overall 1 of my better years. Lots of improvements overall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Started building our house in the summer, slow progress but hopefully it'll be finished in 2022. Got married in September. On the farm front it was like any other year really, had a real nice bunch of weanlings that never weighed as heavy and topped the sale but had an equal bunch of middling stragglers too that I really need to tighten up on. Got a lot done but found it a stressful year to be honest and don't think next year will be any better. Between organising the wedding and keeping on top of the build and doing small jobs off farm aswell it felt like I spent most of the year chasing my tail on farm. Dreading calving starting again 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Had a good year here tbf. Covid brought more wfh so that gave me a much better work life balance as I have a long commute to work.

Farming wise was good too. Cattle prices were strong so was paid for them this year. Weather was excellent for hay and silage. Have a decent set up so do my farming in circa 10 hours per week (except for 7 week calving season but I enjoy calving season so it’s not work!!). Farming doesn’t stress me out anymore thank God

Family all stayed healthy and highlight of the year was bringing 7 year old to Croke Park to see Offaly win u20 all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It has been a great year, weather has really compensated for the Covid. I think had it been a bad year, weather wise, there would've been a lot more depression about, Farmers are really least affected by the Covid, Product prices were the best part of it., it didn't matter if extra feed was required. it was cost effective.

However I didn't get my boat on the shannon ........yet

I forgot that bit about the boat. Hadn’t managed to get the boat out in nearly 10 years. Since covid came I’ve got out about 6-7 times over last couple of years. Can’t bate the feeling of being on the Shannon fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Probably one of the best years here, started of with birth of 4th baby. Finished off building house that started Nov 21 moved in start Dec and ended with baby no 5 coming 2 weeks later.

Farming had a good lambing with very few loses, but was busy and let growth rates drop by going into grass too heavy. Cut back on fert while still selling off extra grass for zero grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TBH once my boys are happy then I'm happy. Unfortunately eldest couldn't come home from Australia for Christmas again this year due to Covid but maybe he will make it home sometime next year. Youngest applied for a job in Scotland earlier this year and fingers crossed he will be made permanent in Feb after serving his probation period.

Farming is ticking along fine but it's difficult to get any young lads/lassies to do a bit of weekend work like power washing/help with dosing/bedding sheds etc so myself and OH are working 24-7/365 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Good year here aswell. Everyone healthy. Was a busy year contracting. Finally retired from the military so way more time at home with the farm and less stress with the off farm job.

Changed a few machines which surprised me as I feared the cash flow upset from retiring but that thankfully didnt materialise. Was supposed to build a shed but didn't happen due to a few things. I have it only its flat on the ground.

Learned lots with the reseeding in 2021 with the different crops and results from different experiments that farmers did.

Christmas was a bit of a disaster with covid but sure we will have to move on. Next year is looking promising already as have people ringing about reseeding already so hoping it will be as busy as this year.

Post edited by Reggie. on

Yea, would love a boat for R and R, my health is disappointing me for the last year so wouldn't justify buying a cruiser unless it improves, we tried to hire one during the summer but they are rubbish. What I'd love is something like a cottage in the west of Ireland ...... that moves,

some lovely boats around

Mine is just a 17’ lake boat for fishing. I get no better therapy than being on the water on nice summers day. With the phone left at home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I hope your health improves in the new year and you get your boat. If you've poor health very little can make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭MfMan

A good idea I think at year end to make a note of machine / tractor hours, car mileage, water meter readings etc. for year-on-year comparison. Also, a note of stock on hand and bank balance(s). Big help for again when compiling accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cattle thrived and prices were decent enough so that’s always a relief. Plenty of fodder saved and bales seem to have kept well. Long back end saved fodder and cut slurry too

Eldest got through her LC great and got the course in college she had her heart set on. Youngest started in secondary and is loving it, doesn’t want to miss a day, doesn’t get that from me as I hated each and every day at school until last two months as I was a stubborn Bollox and wouldn’t let myself enjoy it

Missed bringing the caravan abroad, second year missed after 16 consecutive summers and were not booking crossings as of yet for 2022. Did get a few trips though, week in Mayo and one in Clare, good for the year it was.

Yea thanks, everyone says the pacemaker will make a big improvement, I hope they're right, I'm getting it on monday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

Best of luck with it. Dad is on his third one here.(long story) He was constantly fatigued and had taken a few mini strokes. He’s like a new man after getting them.

I can relate to all that, get weak now on any exertion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Trying to think back to "the plans for 2021"thread from this time lads year ! Achieved one of my goals and that was only a fortnight ago which was getting additional fencing done. FRS here for 3 days and did a super job. Place now completely fenced as I want it.

Bar one or two animals all throve, weighed and graded very well and left money so definitely my most profitable year.

Last few months of work fairly stressful so definitely enjoying the break.

All in all 2021 was a good one.

Brother, wife and kids over at 7 for beers. Sisters crew all isolating otherwise they would be here also.

Happy New Year lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭roosterman71

2021 did not go to plan. Most things I'd planned didn't happen. I'm at the end of my tether in regards an awful lot of things at this stage. However, we plough on.

Happy new year. I'm going to open cans

Keep the head up and look after yourself anyways. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or have a chat with someone. Wishing you a great 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Focus on whatever did go well for you even the small stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I felt that way at the end of 2020 and by March this year I was probably at lowest point in my life, lost a member of the family, glanbia restrictions, few things with land didn't work out,but things never as difficult as they seem and I got through it.

Since then I managed to buy a house which I was beginning to feel would be beyond me, good back end farming and weather wise. Started a new shed and my immediate family are all well and healthy.

I've lost my fitness over the covid, so hope to tackle that in 2022 and eak another year out of the hurling.

Ups and downs like everybody but try focus on the positives. Best wishes for 22 to all the boardsies and I hope its a happy, prosperous and healthy year for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Aravo

Don't be too hard on yourself. These are difficult times. Focus on the positives and good luck to you and other posters for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The first year in 10 that things did go right for me, and some of those years were as low and soul destroying as it could get and at times were close to being more than I could handle.

Everything comes better in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You're dead right . I've removed a few people who were draining me from my life. There's more to life than pleasing the unpleasable. As long as my own gang are happy I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You definitely become less worried about other people as you get older, and happier because of it. If only we could tell the teens and young adults that and they’d listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭cjpm

Massive 1+ for this.

A neighbour of mine his daughter is getting the whole social exclusion treatment in the local secondary school. She’s fierce upset over it.

Teenagers can be terrible to each other at times.

Advertisement