Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Teamwork ?

• 31-12-2021 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Hi what are the fundamentals of good team work

Starting a job where teamwork is a big part of it want to make sure it goes well

I'm more used to dealing with customers on a personal level with no real teamwork involved , just looking for basic pointers to get it right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Are you management?

Also your peers maybe considered customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

No just employee working as part of a team

Retail environment some interaction with customers

So you never had to deal with suppliers, asking colleagues to help you out with queries, awkward customers who needed to be passed on to supervisors, stockroom...if answer to one or more of the above is yes...you've been doing teamwork.

• Advertisement

Never worked in retail

Sole trader construction background why I'm asking

Totally new environment

No idea of construction except for breaking things in my own house. Probably deconstruction .

Alot of jobs have transferable skills. Did you ever have to give a dig out to a subby to get the job done, did you ever have to help lift something heavy one person couldn't do by themselves.

Ever play team sports?

I'd class those more as giving someone a hand rather than teamwork

Anyway we shall see

The sports I thought of that but haven't played team stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Giving someone a hand is (imo) the definition of teamwork.

It's teamwork.

Hey kirk, do you mind helping me with yadayada. Would you say no?

• Advertisement

Say the sports example

You give a lift to an injured player on the opposing team

Is that teamwork if you're on opposite teams ?

That's being a nice guy and taking sports ethic seriously.

You're already a "team player". But most importantly in retail is you have customer experience. You have no idea how important that is if you're good at it.

It is

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing .

Not sure I'm used to this level of interaction with management and staff all day when I start

Nervous/excited is good in a new job. You'll learn a lot. But, really importantly is you can give a lot as well from previous experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is not a lot to it, but it is amazing how many people can’t get it right….. the first part is the usual good manners stuff and beyond that it’s a case of working for the benefit of the whole team. That means:

• Doing a good job of the tasks assigned to you, so that people can rely on you to do a good job
    • When you find you have spare capacity offer to help others on the team with their tasks if you see them struggling
    • If you have free capacity let your team lead know so they can assign new tasks
    • Respond to your team mates requests for help in a timely manner

If you are respectful, reliable and helpful you will be a good team member.

Now that's more like the answer I was seeking

I'll study this reply thanks

Good luck so.

Was those ABCs I was looking for

I'm a one page sort of person

So I like to have a few basics in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

Well if you are not a manager, just doing your job well is well on the way to being a good member of any team. Having a solid grasp of your function and then understanding the roles of others (even to be changed to help another person) is a good team player.

A manager on the other hand should acknowledge everyone's contributions to the team overall and not play favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some signs of a team that works well together are:

• good communication - everyone have their say and then putting aside their idea to find the best possible idea/result
    • having different skills sets in the team and recognising when someone is objectively better than another to complete a certain task.
    • a classic sports saying is a team is only as good as it’s weakest link. Supporting people in your team is just as important as doing your part.
    • having everyone on the same page is really important. Making sure everyone is working towards a common and clear goal will yield results and is an easy to keep up team morale

People’s ego and feelings are involved and people will always have different views and methods of work but if you can try and average those out having a well oiled team is a really satisfying to work in and is really rewarding.

Advertisement