Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

let's say i'm doing 100km/h on an N road approaching a junction, and this is perfectly legal on this hypothetical N road even where you would come across junctions with poor visibility. a motorist pulls out of the minor road in front of me and i collide with him.

now, it's easy - and correct - to say speed was not the cause of this incident, it was poor observation of the other motorist. but it's also just as easy to point out that my speed as i collided with him was a factor in how serious or avoidable the collision was.

the difference in stopping distances between say 80km/h and 100km/h is approx 30m with a 2 second reaction time (according to the AASHTO standard calculations) which is six times a normal car length. your braking distance (if you ignore reaction time) is proportional to the square of the velocity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Sure only a few weeks ago I was ran over cos some joker was on his bastard phone and drove straight into me.

Hope whatever he was doing was very, very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Smoking affects those around them too, passive smoking from no choice of their own . Either your concerned about peoples health here or your not ???

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

I said directly not indirectly 👓

Speeding is lethal and has immediate and profound life lasting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In the Northern Territory of Australia, they increased the speed limit from 110 kph to 130kph, and the number of accidents dropped, so they took the speed limit away altogether, and the number of accidents fell even further.

Inattention is the principal cause of accidents, not speed.

• Advertisement

The car pulling out was at fault, stop trying to pretend that it wasn't or that speed is the problem. Your facetious argument is reductio ad absurdum, because you end up with a conclusion that the only safe way for a vehicle to move forward is to have a footmen in front of it walking or jogging waving a red flag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And the passive smoke itself is an indirect effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah but having been in the Northern Territories, there's literally hundreds of kilometres of straight roads, and you can go hours without seeing another car, with the exception of a road train. It's bloody massive and not comparable with Irish roads at all.

I’m not saying you’re fibbing but can we have a link?

My main issue with speed is in shared spaces, especially with vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists there are numerous examples, where Gardiner Street intersects with Talbot Street for example, the Quays, Turvey and numerous backroads where cyclists or horses or pedestrians may be or where junctions exist or entrances to residential estates.

If I can see absolute and undeniable data then I’d consider advocating increasing the limit to 160 km/h or even removing it (on motorways) entirely. This will obviously increase emissions which is another problem. Maybe we could start doing this when there are more fully electric cars or have lower limits for dirtier diesel cars (probably hard to enforce).

For this to work it will only be on stretches where there are no on or off roads for several kilometres (the speed limit would be rigidly enforced around junctions to benefit buses and lorries trying to join), lane hogging and undertaking will result in a 1 month ban. If all the above is satisfied then maybe we could consider removing limits on CERTAIN motorway stretches.

• Advertisement

"Motorists in the Northern Territory will be permanently allowed to choose their own speed along a 276 kilometre section of highway following a successful 18 month evidence-based trial.

In a decision condemned by medical authorities, Territory Chief Minister Adam Giles on Thursday handed down a report confirming that open speed limits had reduced the number of accidents along the trial section of the Stuart Highway when compared with a 130km/h posting previously in place."https://www.drive.com.au/news/nt-speed-limits-permanently-derestricted-20150903-gje7jc/

Thanks I’ll have a read of that. Isn’t it nice when people actually engage in a discussion and post links (and admit when they’re wrong) 😊 happy 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

It would be better to make it mandstory that phones wouldn't work if they were travelling at more than 15 km/h unless connected to handsfree device.

Even if connected, keyboard should be disabled.

What about people in buses, trains, airplanes (using Wi-Fi on long flights)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Fair point, but not an insurmountable issue. If you claim to be on a bus, plane or train technology could confirm this. Taxis might be trickier.

um, i explicitly stated that the motorist in front was to blame. did you read my post?

my point was that speed can be a *factor* in a collision, even if it's not the cause and i explicitly phrased that example in a way to remove speed as a causal factor.

i randomly picked a google street view on the affected section of road; i wonder how far you'll have to travel before seeing another car:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.3149752,133.4059617,3a,75y,34.55h,82.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYSa-YmTwwc-kihmGJ3zqhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree here. There are roads I know that if I were to go down them at or just under the posted limit I'd be hanging on for dear life, or upside down in a hedge with a strong smell of poo in the cabin, where others you could go at well over the posted limit and be a lot safer and more in control.

Then you have too many drivers out there, who feeling "safe" because of their cars rating, traction control and more airbags than the front benches of the Dail drive like idiots, especially in damp conditions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm an Australian and I have shared the driving from Perth to Melbourne and return and Perth to Adelaide, so far greater distances than are involved in the NT.

I remember seeing some headlights in the sky ahead and thought another truck or car was about to crest a hill, so dipped the beam ..... nothing..... closing speed was 220 kph and it was about 40 minutes until I again had to dip the lights because the oncomming traffic had actually arrived for real. Crossing the Nulabor at night is a surreal experience.

The issue isn't other traffic, it's about reducing journey times and fatigue.

Of course it's not an argument for open speed limits here, it's just an obvious counter to the mindless and totally wrong 'speeding kills' mantra which is all you get in talk of road safety, when 80+% of accidents are caused by inattention at existing speed limits.

I think a driver talking or listening to someone else talking is massively more dangerous than them exceeding an extra urban speed limit by a few k.

Human brains are a single core, single threaded processor. We fundamentally can not multi-task- not even women.

• Advertisement

there's a section of road i'm regularly on where they recently increased the limit from 60 to 80; not that i've any issue with that, but it'll make bugger all difference in journey time as the affected section is barely 1km long.

it's the old N2 between the ward roundabout and coolquoy - it had been at 100km/h IIRC before the M2 was built, and the conspiracy theory was that they dropped the limit on this road to 60 to try to 'encourage' people to use the motorway instead. so raising it back to 80 is no biggie, but it is a sign that someone is re-checking roads for appropriate limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"Speed is the biggest contributory factor in road deaths in Ireland. "

• "excessive speed was a contributory factor in 1 in 3 fatal collisions between 2008 and 2012. This may not have been the sole cause of the collision. 
    • of this number 19% cited excessive speed as the sole contributory factor. 
    • of the 322 people killed in speed-related collisions, 158 were drivers, 49 were motorcyclists and 100 were passengers. "

The disparity between the RSA's claims and that of those of the UK, who collect data in a way I believe isn't done here - as in a lot more thoroughly - needs to be explained, because someone's telling porkies.

Saying speed is the biggest contributory factor is like saying someone died because they were alive. All accidents between two vehicles, one of which was moving, had speed as a contributory factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Why would I limit myself to your choices? The Volvo XC60 was just one of many that I could have picked, all of them EuroNCap 5*

Chinese ownership of a company doesn't reflect on the safety features as fitted to European models, but if you wish to protest against China by not buying their products then off you go and have a nice life, it's your personal choice

Safer for all, 2017 Volvo XC60 has a 76% rating for pedestrians, compared to say a 2017 Fiat 500 which has a 53% rating.

I know they have brought in new eueocap ratings for pedestrians and cyclists as different catagories since AEB was added as a catagory but even with AEB fitted to the Fiat in 2021 it only scored 67% for vulnerable road users

Perhaps your judgement is clouded by your seeming lack of awareness when cycling among larger SUV vehicles, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Looks like that article is from 2015 but a more recent article from the BBC in 2016 says the speed limit was reinstated, mentioning that road deaths were three times higher on the roads with no speed limits than elsewhere.

In any case, the theory in Australia is that these roads are empty and straight and go on for insanely long distances where the biggest issue is driver fatigue, something that can be alleviated by allowing people to drive faster and reach the destination in less time. In a small country like Ireland with motorway services everywhere that is a complete non-argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What's that rating measuring? Is it measuring the amount of tech used or the actual benefits for pedestrians?

Was the rating before or after they found the software bug that required a global recall?

Can you not just keep overriding it if you wish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ive driven vehicles with limiters… they are a pain in the gash quite frankly… not altogether safe..

the company had them fitted on new vehicles to obtain cheaper insurance… no concern about safety as nobody in the history of the job had so much as a small ding and I only recall once somebody getting done for excess speed. That’s over 8 years of me there…

not too bad if you are driving locally in the city but dual carriageway/motorway and a limiter… didn’t feel safe your engine power and revs just dying, you have to gear down quickly to maintain safe progress it’s not good at all…

if I was of the ability I’d want each car manufacturer per year to pay xxxxxx euros to enable the installation and upkeep of automated speed / safety cameras…otherwise they can’t sell their cars here…

Advertisement