Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festive 500?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Ok, I hold my hands up, it wasn't even a rookie error, I've done it before #Scarleh

Today wasn't even a 200 Audax route, just something I cobbled together myself from bits of other routes. I have a flat 100km to Clara so I did a decent chunk of as far as Rhode. I had planned to ride on to Moate and back to Mullingar on the Rail trail. Instead I headed north to Mullingar and then the Royal Canal back to Maynooth. Easy, flat cycling all the way. By Maynooth I was still 50km short of 200 so I did a lap of South Dublin's leafy suburbs.

280 done. I'll finish it off with another 200 on Thursday....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

101kms today got me over the finishing line. Very windy this morning, some savage gusts, was glad we had the biggest bunch so far out, 6 of us, though most of them were heading home early and I had to do the last 35km solo.

A beer or two might not go astray this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Back in the game..ticked over the 400km mark today with a windy 85km.

All solo for me so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

8.5km today with #1 child in the woods messing 😎

Want to get 70km in on NYE to round out to 300km. Happy enough with that all things considered. Have ordered mudguards and turbo axle adaptors for the next time, would have made it much more possible this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Man. Hardest ever 67k today in 2 hours on the rollers. First time ever doing more than hour. God, the second hour was hard going. It's just too long to be stuck in one fixed position.

So I've 125 left now and 2 days to do it, which should be a piece of cake. Hopefully break the back of it tomorrow, or even stretch it out and finish it altogether.

It's a hard challenge, no doubt about it. I did 3 consecutive 100k days there which is something I'm totally unused to. I so rarely cycle on consecutive days at all of any distance, let alone "long" spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Got it squared-away today with a 120km spin, though the heavy rain, flooded roads and an endless supply of prickish drivers took the gloss off somewhat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Still at a big fat zero. Having a very lazy festive period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

At least I'm beating you, so. Leisurely 22km spin with the wife yesterday, on what turned out to be a very pleasant afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Morris Garren

Knocked out 110km in lashing rain but felt a lot better than 2 days ago which was interesting. I'm only starting to warm to it now, just have 40km each-way left for tomorrow and I will have hit the 500! Shoes/socks taking a terrible hammering this week, one more day of sponge-like conditions, hope they hold up now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

103km left with a approx 50km on Zwift later with the rest done tomorrow on what looks like a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Done aaand done, and I mean done!

Today was actually a great day on the bike. Granted it was wet and damp but the mild temperatures completely took any sting out of the rain. Ended up doing a longer than planned 125km spin out to Carbery and Edenderry. Grand roads, dirty but nice rollin' tarmac, and exactly what the S2 was designed for. Great coffee stop as well in Clane on the way home. I miscalculated slightly, I actually only needed 115 to complete but I thought I needed 125. I was nearly home and looking at a 123 total, thinking I'd be staring at a 498 til tomorrow so I did a lap of Firhouse parish which I didn't need to do at all.

Anyway. That's a wrap for the bike for 2021 I reckon, it's a great challenge. It definitely gets you out. If it wasn't for it I'd have skived off - fewer and shorter spins for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I did a 30 minute workout on Zwift on Stephen's Day...

Is Nameless Phil home outta that rain yet, 220 will do it. Its a bit like the darts here, treble 20 × 3 + double-top = checkout 😀

Post edited by Morris Garren on

I'm on the train from Belfast to Dublin.

In the spirit of go big or go home I cycled from my house to Belfast city centre. I used a route created by cycle.travel that avoided every main road and stuck in plenty of farm boreens with grass down the middle.

I was on back roads to Newry, then the Newry canal towpath for 30km or so then more back roads with cycle route signage. The piece de resistance was riding into the city centre of Belfast on the Lagan towpath. I had the route to myself bar one courting couple. It's a lovely bit of infrastructure that gets you into the heart of Belfast on a completely traffic free route. 206km for the ride. The ride home from the station should push me over the 500.

https://strava.app.link/U3aut7mZpmb

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Big fat zero here too. Getting Covid on Christmas Eve helped mind you. Although I won't get that excuse again!!*

* I hope

Marvellous. Great route planning by the sounds of it

Finished the Festive 500 off with a 12km ride home from Connolly station. 5 days of activity, three days off.

Fair play to anyone heading out today to finish it off, or even finding the mental strength to face into a turbo session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm still scratching my head at someone who has made a fine art of the kal-koo-lation with regard to audax time limits when hungry, wet, lost and 100km from home making such a simple error earlier when rested, at home, not hungry and dry😊

That Belfast route sounds great, cycle.travel is a briliant website

And I made it--- treble 14 + double 20 gave me the 82km I needed!

I was lucky that today was a beautiful day for end of December, probably the best of the whole week.

First time doing it. Lovely antidote to Covid chat and a good challenge 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Done and dusted this afternoon with 2kms to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

A 106 km spin around Kildare and back to Dublin (via Blessington) to finish this today, a total of 538km.

Overall, I enjoyed this years Festive 500, the weather was mild compared to previous years. Well done to all those who complete the 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All done today with a 50km plus spin tjst was nothing more than a cruise about locally.

I also discovered that I rode most of it on a saddle that was 4cm lower than my usual height. My glutes have been in bits for days so putting it down to this.

One benefit of this festive 500 has been no weight gain over Xmas and given my already bulky A3 racing frame I’m more than happy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

After an interruption due to pints, I completed the remaining 119km today on the turbo. Woohoo.

That's some penance; hope you had the requisite chamois supply..... and well done soldier 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tour de Connemara is now open for the few remaining places. Just got in there'at midnight myself.

Advertisement