Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I drive car if....

• 29-12-2021 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭

The front coil over the driver side tyre is broken,there's sharp edges exposed,it was making a weird noise and then was pointed out a few days later when having tyres changed.

I cant get anyone to look at it over the next few days but need to go a 200km round trip journey on nye.I know its not ideal but how much of a risk is it if I take it handy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭kirving

You're at risk of it breaking in another place too. 200km is a good distance to go on a broken spring. Can you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Cant really see it clearly without it being up on the lift like it was when the tyres were been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

No you shouldn't drive it until you can get it repaired. The alignment will be off and your cars stability on corners is affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Wouldn't drive. Have seen the likes of this puncture a tyre before.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

Blatant breach of your responsibility as a motorist to drive a car you know is dangerously defective.

Answer is NO

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies.

As I thought probably not a great idea but might not have a choice,will be taking it extremely handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi,

surely you don't want to risk your own life or others if the car goes out of control ?????????. Maybe rent a car if the journey is so vital and let us know the make, model and route so we can stay well away from you.

very dangerous and irresponsible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Don't have a choice? Your car is dangerous to drive. Treat it as if the engine won't start and beg borrow or rent a car from someone else. Lots of mechanics give loaners and your car insurance may cover rental if you have breakdown cover

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Try renting a car.

It's insanely stupid to drive this car, knowing its issue.

I hope this post is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I know a lorry driver who was going around a corner when a spring broke and the whole lorry turned over into a field. Probably not going to happen with the car but it is definitely a risk.

• Advertisement

Alternative transport organised after responses here and a chat with my mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Good decision. Not worth the risk

Recently I drove a car from Ennis to Dublin and back with a bulge on the left front tyre wall

Only noticed it afterwards (the tyre was a really good brand and was only a few months old)

Even though the tyre didn't blow it still sent shivers down my spine knowing what could have happened at motorway speed

Before I knew about this issue ( just that there was a weird sound when I locked the steering fully)The car had been parked up for 6 weeks and I naively though it was just a bit stiff after not driving it.I did a 300km round trip and was cruising at 130kph on motorway. It was late at night too so nobody on the roads and I was throwing it around corners on the non motorway part.I suppose knowing what I know know now all of that would have been pretty dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My front shock absorber burst when driving over a speed ramp. I thought the car was exploding. Every little crack In the road would make the car like a game of buckaroo, very frightening as I thought the wheel and suspension would come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Great to see Boards doing, both driver and other road users, a service.

Advertisement