Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 In Between Grand Slam Thread

1232425262729»

Comments

Also a statement from the Australian Open

Defending champion Djokovic will play for an incredible 10th Australian Open trophy — and a men’s record 21st major singles title — and will be the favourite in a draw which showcases 49 of the world’s top 50 including world No.2 Daniil Medvedev, who beat top-ranked Djokovic in this year’s US Open final.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Read the thread wrong.

Imagine if this kid turned out any good - would be an interesting development!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Well, Nadal plays with his weaker hand, so it's possible. The kid will never learn to make a half decent backhand, which will be interesting to see if he plays at a pro level. I can see problems unless he is naturally ambidextrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nadal has tested positive for Covid

Do (vaccinated) players have to wait 14 days after a positive test before being allowed to travel to Australia? Or do they have to show a negative PCR?

I don't think he'll be in Melbourne. Which mightn't be a bad thing for him anyway. It's a long trip for a tournament he had little chance of winning. This way he has more time to focus on his return and being in good shape for Roland Garos.

• Advertisement

So, it looks like a fudge has been reached.

Players will be able to play without having to disclose whether they're vaccinated or not.

And medical exemptions will be allowed in Melbourne.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/22/novak-djokovic-wants-to-play-at-australian-open-says-tennis-australia-chief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭jacool

This in the article "all Open players would be staying in the same accommodation – Crown Towers – during the tournament"

If I was vaccinated, I would not want a potentially unvaccinated person sharing my space. Wonder would any players have the bottle to speak up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Just wondering what could the possible medical exemptions be? All players would be fit and healthy, only thing I could think of is possibly being allergic to the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The list was doing the rounds on Twitter a few days ago, you'll be able to find it if you search. It's a very small, precise set of circumstances, you'd have to be very sceptical of anyone who managed to fit the criteria.

It's all up in the air though whether any medical exemptions are going to be granted, some reports saying they will whilst others are saying absolutely not. Serbian media in particularly seems divided about Djokovic's participation, there's a new report every couple of days contradicting the other.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Time to review this. All four grand slams did indeed get played, and (I think?) with mostly full crowds, although the Australian Open did have a few days behind closed doors and the French Open did have that rather pointless 8pm curfew in place. I think most of the masters didn't have any limits on attendance? Can't fully remember.

Wasn't exactly a hard prediction, but we did indeed see two new winners on the WTA side, as well as four different slam winners. I was oddly closely to predicting Fernandez would win a slam and also correct about someone having a meteoric rise, just had no idea it would (or could) be Raducanu. Obviously, I didn't see Krejcikova coming either.

I was correct in saying there wasn't a whole lot of change on the ATP side, although injuries largely wiped out Thiem and Federer's seasons. Was a bit surprising to see Nadal walk away empty-handed this year but unsurprising to see Djokovic almost do a clean sweep. Sinner wasn't a big threat at this years slams but he did have a big year, rising from #37 to #10. Wouldn't be surprising to see him go deeper next year, but Alcaraz is probably the one a lot of us have our eye on now.

I don't think there were any major slip-ups on the covid front, but that's a question we might see answered based on who does and doesn't show up in Melbourne.

• Advertisement

it's a bit moot with Omicron on the scene in fairness as current vaccines offer little protection in terms of actual infection (severity yes).

30,000 plus cases a day (or real figure could be far higher in reality) in Ireland and the majority of people testing positive being double vaxxed and with the booster.

Murray, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic will play for Bjorg in the Laver Cup this year.

Berrettini takes out Thiem with ease in the Swiss Open

Will face Ruud in the final

Wrong thread guys!

Advertisement