Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage bale trailer?

• 30-12-2021 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Finger bar or flat bed?..... 5k draw, 80 bales a year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If you can afford it, flat bed all day long. Many uses for it whereas finger bar has only one use.

that said, if it’s only 80 bales a year and genuinely no other work then just get a contractor to do it.

but I fully appreciate that some farmers just like their own way of doing things (I’m one of them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Ya that makes sense.... wouldn't want anything too awarkward... what lenght do you recon?

Depends on your yard. I have a 25 foot and it’s perfect. Fits 10 on the flat and 5 on top so carries 15 comfortably. It brings 20 bales of straw so it’s really up to what you can afford and what you’re comfortable with in your yard/tractor size for pulling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve a 17’ on a single axle with floatation tyres. It’s a nice size, easy to manoeuvre in and out of tight gaps and I take 11 bales on it at its ease. If you’ve long draws and plenty of space I would go 26’ twin axle.

Whats the longest you'd leave a bale prodded/ transported before feeding?...less than 8 bales keeps the shed fed for a week.

Does it knock the freshness out of them.. I usually graze the field but the distance is awkward for herding all summer, I'm thinking of reseeding (badly needed and maybe letting the after-grass yearly. There's a zero graze dairy guy down the road from it that's always looking for grass.... I'm sure he'd surry it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would you be better of getting a 14' or 16' tipping trailer with bale extension if necessary?

You'd get a lot of use out of it for other tasks. We used to use our tipping trailer to move bales. We used a loader to put them on/off - although at times we just topped them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This. Also depends on your tractor in front. With a 14ft you might get 3 along bottom, so 8 bales a load, or 10 if you stack 4 on top. Also need to consider the type of ground you are travelling on and make sure trailer tyres are suited. But I definitely wouldn't buy a dedicated bale trailer. If doing that number of bales it might make more sense to just get the contractor to do it.

Have left for 4 - 5 days, usually 2-3. Feeding sucklers with it and they'd eat anything though.

What type of trailer do you have currently and are you using a tractor loader?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭rs8

As mentioned above if you could stretch lt to a tipping trailer and buy extension you'd have a multi purope trailer you'd find plenty of uses for!! Neighbour here has a tuff trailer and wouldn't be without it .. even has ramps for his mini digger which saves him from buying a lowloader.

Thanks guys... just a 10x6 tipper at the moment, I'd need to up the horses as using a mf265 no loader at present & its grand.. but not ideal.

Going to probably sell off 2 and buy an all rounder if tractor prices fall to more realistic prices...

I agree, another trailer (3-4k max) around the place would have to be multifunctional to some extent... like the tractor.

All stock on one block around the yard /sheds would be nice.. I know a lad who never takes the box off the tractor... several fragmented blocks, always on the go... & oh ya clocked it today ...6 1/2 km to field.

• Advertisement

Plenty of folk around here ferry round bales with an Ifor Williams flat bed trailer. Stab the bales low with a spike and they can be put onto the trailer and then taken off again. A bit of a knack to it, but I've done it myself.

Sounds like in terms of investment you need the trailer and a loader tractor so that'll consume some funds! Put the money into the loader tractor and the upgrading the trailer can wait. Although your tipping trailer is a 10x6 and you'll need to do a few more runs per week, so be it. It's not worth compromising the tractor for a few extra feet on trailer length - unless the trailer is banjaxed?

How are you currently shifting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Who2

It’ll be hard to find a good long term multi purpose trailer for 3-4K. I’d get the tractor upgraded first if that’s the plan but I’d consider getting a lad to draw them if that’s the only reason your upgrading the tractor. If it will do all other work then I’d be inclined to keep what you have. Tractor prices aren’t dropping anytime soon.

thanks guys .... lots of food for thought there..& options. Silage fields are beside the sheds at the moment... a short road haul to bring them in..was thinking of reducing same and reseeding the 12 acre field for majority of silage..

14ft.... how would something like this put up with bales?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I like the idea behind these as the can be used as a low loader too as well as been able to carry fert or tone bags of meal all three uses I would find beneficial but it depends on your own circumstances.. a good tipper trailer might suit you better.

Are silage bales not 4'x4'? You should be able to get three bales on it - providing your 265 has the height in the arms. I've seen fella's with 3 bales on their side in a 12' (2 on deck and 1 on top). I'd normally take 2 on their flat in our trailer.

If you are thinking of buying one see if you can hire/get one in for a trial run just to make sure it works for you. I wouldn't go for this option without trialing it first as the loading/unloading mightn't suit you. If the bales are wet and heavy, it can be a trying experience to get them on and off and then carted over to shed without incident - they don't tend to hold their shape with a lot of handling. Plus repeated stabbing of the bale on a gravel/stone surface tends to puncture and rip the plastic and cover the silage. That's where a loader with a squeeze comes into its own.

I've had no problems carting with one of these. It does exercise the brakes, but they are a consumable and if they ain't wearing, then they ain't working.

Those 14' tri-axles have a 3.5T gross weight and weigh approx 850kg. So a payload of 2.65T and that will allow 3 bales at 880kg.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭hopeso

Changing the tractor and buying a new trailer is going to be a big investment.

Do you intend storing the bales at the out farm, and drawing them home during the winter for feeding? If so, I'd be looking for a simple 6 bale finger bar type, and load it with a spike on the back of your current tractor. It's only one or two loads a week with no time pressure. You should find a six bale trailer for under €1k easy enough

Could you not get the bale contractor to haul to your yard, wrap there and stack. Or wrap in field, haul and stack for you when the weather is good and free up time in the winter for you? Assuming you don't have hard standing at the other farm it would save destroying the ground too. Even if you got some of them taken over as a buffer...

He uses the fusion baler, there is a small haggard with a decent slab just inside the gate.. holds approx 80 on flat...

The buffer is a good idea (undamaged)... less pressure in the debts of winter frost storms, breakdowns etc... thanks

nicely balanced..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

You have a mf265 with no loader. 80 bales 5k can be done with a finger bale trailer. To draw them all at once would be a pain but it's still only a days work.

Cost of finger trailer €1k

Alternative that is being advised here is for a flatbed which you'll have to buy new or if you find a good one it'll cost as much as new anyway so at least €8k

Then you'll have to get a loader plus the mf265 will not pull a flatbed loaded with bales so upgraded tractor + loader even with the mf265 trade in is still costing 27k for anything within reason unless you buy an ancient pos which has its own problems

So all in its €35k vs €1k

Post edited by Easten on

If the 265 won't pull a flat bed with 3 bales it'll not pull the finger trailer with 6.

If the OP can manage all other tasks on the farm with the 265 and would only be upgrading for this job, then I agree that they would be best to get a finger trailer as they may not have the height in the arms on the 265 to put bales on and off with a spike.

I’d be heading back to the contractor at this stage.......he’d have it done, stacked in the OP’s yard while he was having his morning tae.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

That Jeep cannot legally pull that much weight, so it's nicely balanced but Illegal and uninsured on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Could that trailer be loaded with bale handler on the back ,probably not .If it was easily loaded problem solved

I would consider the finger trailers only for unwraped bales and even at that a pain in the hole .A contractor will charge at least E4/bale for that draw and he will only be obliging you to do it .I got around to buying my own loader tractor this year should have got it years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would guess if it was left on a bit of a block and level enough it could be loaded at the back with a bale handler. Guessing it would depend a bit on the lift of the tractor...

Advertisement