Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars to be fitted with speed limiters from July 2022.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

On one hand you’re saying slow drivers nearly cause a crash and then you go on to say how you were nearly rear ended yourself a few times 🤔

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the speed limiters just stopped cars going over 120 km/h or even 150 km/h. it would help. Trying to restrict cars to the speed limit is ridiculous as it can be imperative in some situations, such as overtaking slow moving agricultural vehicles.

Why are cars designed to be used on standard roads designed to go at such excessive speeds? Some are restricted to 200 km/hr, but surely even that is too high.

If you read the article you’ll see the limiter can be temporarily overriden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 darrencan1988

Wont happen dont worry I bet my life that it cant and wont happen to limit a car becomes a very grey area due to the legal side of things if I have to overtake a dangerous driver and need speed but my car cuts down automatically it can kill me. If I go to the autobahn my car needs to do more that what most roads in Eastern europe allow so I will repeat this wont happen in europe unless every country has the same speed zones.

And no you didnt read my post most of my back roads are basically down to one lane we dont and cant speed it is impossibe but people are after crashing and some die the roads are falling away the bends are covered in **** and muck. Until you actually drive for a living you wont and cant understand just what the cause is.

Yes people speed 99% of people and I bet you have done it too and dont deny you have came into a 50 zone going more for a few seconds every single human alive nearly will speed in some sort of zone its what we are and that wont change but speeding is not the issue. Years ago my relations lane was all over social media its a single lane with a 80K sign saying I f**king dear you it went around for ages as you couldnt do 20k on it how on earth can a speed limiter help there. Ask a lorry driver or someone who drives for 8 hours a day what the roads are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Driving in excess of the speed limit is the primary cause of approximately 5% of fatal crashes. Wouldn't we be better off tackling behaviour which actually causes crashes? Such as one car being on the wrong side of the road, the leading cause of two car fatal crashes last I looked?

• Advertisement

just out of curiosity, if you got stung by a speed camera in the process of overtaking when you “temporarily” broke the speed limit, would you be able to dispute the FCPN?

https://www.greenflag.com/driving-in-europe/driving-advice/german-autobahn-rules

Parts of the outside lane you need to do at least 80KMH as I said will never happen as Germany has cruising speeds of 150-180KMH in de restricted zones on the autobahn

What?

If you need to overtake a “dangerous driver” you can temporarily disengage the limiter. If it’s not possible to overtake keep a safe distance and overtake when possible.

What’s this rubbish about the same speed zones being required across Europe? Different roads in Ireland have different limits as is. The limiter will be based on smart technology reading road signs or GPS technology.

So only two isolated incidents of drivers causing a fatality by being on the wrong side of the road?

How many were caused by speed?

And you have to do km/h here in the outside lane.

There’s no harm driving below the limit if you keep left. As I already said, some buses are restricted to 65 km/h.

• Advertisement

No I was rear ended recently enough a car was turning and someone drove into the back of me. Thats because of the roads again nothing to do with speed at all if it was I was dead

What busses are restricted to 65 km/h?

The problem with slow drivers, say your bus going 65 km/h, on a 100km/h Road, you'll have more people legitimately overtaking.

Having cars on the "wrong" side of the road is not good. And you don't need to drive Irish roads long to see some ridiculous broken lines that some serial killer road planner decreed, on bends or close to bends.

THEN, you'll have (human nature being what it is) frustrated drivers overtaking even on full lines.

Gaybo (RIP) once said it was okay for people to drive at 80 km/h on 100 km/h roads. I would hazard a guess this may have led to serious RTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How will it not happen? It'll read the sign, the same as any other limit, and let you drive as fast as you like on those sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If anyone thinks this is a good idea...you're in the wrong forum.

More nannying by our EU overlords. Be better off having cars INCREASE their speeds so I don't have to deal with the 60-80km/h MORONS on national roads every day.

Every car for the last decade or more has a warning system already, mine is set the 120km/h so I don't go over that on the motorway, if I do I hear that non stop bing bong BMW chime.

Because a local village to me has two 120KPH signs as you enter the village will it allow you to do the 120 yes if it reads signs. For they to do it correctly it would have to be a gps system that reads gps, Signs, markings and so on my wifes brand new car has some of this technolagy and its dreadful if your driving alone and a white marking paint was spilled across the road the car jams on the brakes and could kill someone so it might be brought in and everyone will disable it but I would love to see a real system put in place not just a mickey mouse system they are coming up with

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The audio and haptic feedback will discourage speeding

Nobody wants a car constantly beeping at you

The only big downside I see with this is that insurance companies will use it as an excuse to jack up the premium for all pre 2022 cars that don't have this retrofitted

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Yeah so, it’s an EU law that the U.K. will also bring in……

It was a deliciously ironic post. If only the irony was intended

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Raichu

So my main questions are

1. will cars that are made pre July 2022 (ie any car bought up to Jan 22 we’ll say) be fitted with these or is it just for new cars from July onwards?
    2. wont this then require people to have a new driving test to learn how it works properly? Not necessarily a full test but surely you’ll need to sit some sort of course to understand the new system fully and to ensure you’re safe to go ahead
    3. if it’s only new cars how would this work then? And what would be the process of retro fitting cars with these devices, what will happen if you don’t, how much will it cost, etc etc

lots of questions.

Google maps already does a really good job of knowing the speed limit on all but the newest roads

If the limit was inaccurate and impacted drivers, you can be sure crowdsourced information would help them update their records very quickly

They wouldn't need elaborate driver input, eg, Anywhere that 90% of drivers broke the speed limit could be flagged for review automatically

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am closing this thread as there have been a large number of reports but to date no active mod has been able to get to them

If necessary I will revisit all those reports later on and act as I see fit

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have deleted a large number of posts.

Personal abuse towards other users is never tolerated.

Interact in a civil manner or do not post.

Do not discuss moderation in-thread. Report stuff. In this case none of the local mods were around but I stepped in when I saw a large number of reports. The system worked, even if not immediately. Equally though we are in the middle of the holiday season with even fewer mods being arounds. Give it at least 24 hours before following up on reports

Just because a user has "mod" by their name does not mean they have responsibility for this forum. In this case I am a Site Administrator withy responsibility across the site which is why I have stepped in

The following posters are banned from posting in this thread again (in addition to attracting further sanction)

Eoinbmw

Phil.x

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thread re-opened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I have a 2020 car with sign reading technology. But signage is not consistent and not maintained. On a location near me they added a reduced speed limit at a hamlet, but did not put a 80Kmh at the end of this section, so the 50Kmh limit would extend for several Km. They would need a level of care with these things that is not always present in Ireland.

One concern I do have would be inattentive drivers relying solely on the limitation technology and simply driving flat out at whatever speed the car will let them go.

What if a lower speed limit sign is blocked by a large vehicle or over grown shrubs?

Secondly, in an industrial site near me the posted speed limit is 5 km/h. I always try my utmost to obey this but get beeped by other people some times and some people overtaking in heavily pedestrianised parts (I have a digital speedometer). Would all cars be capable of doing this low speed ? Would the limiter force the car to stay at 5 km/h if it works by sign recognition technology instead of gps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't understand why this would impact on the joy of motoring; let's say a system is developed which is reliable. the only way this could take the joy of motoring away is if it prevents you from doing something you were doing before which gave you joy. in this case that would mean the joy comes from exceeding the speed limit; and if this is the case, yes, very much so, your joy should be taken from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There will be a way to remove this feature through OBD and reinstate it if the NCT ever insist on it being installed. There is a lot of sh1t going down in the car industry now, with the government and megacorps hoping to convert everyone to driverless mobility services. This kind of thing and the rent-a-feature model they're trying to introduce is like DRM for cars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regarding it being a requirement for the NCT - would be interesting that if you were caught speeding in a car where this had been disabled, whether penalties would be specifically introduced for that.

i.e. if you specifically disable a required safety feature, that could be looked on quite sternly...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

Wait and see time... so for it to become mandatory in July, means that its already built into even todays cars? Just needs activating? I have in addition to the Vehs own Satnav, a TOMTOM SatNav.....and it has a warning klaxon whenever the speed limit is broken.....and by God, its effective!!! With the first "BOING" you will instinctively lift your foot off the accelerator. That's fine for me, I don't need the computer making decisions, and especially as I'm the one having the full picture of the situation on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭eggy81

Biggest problem by far on Irish roads is people on their phones. It’s not even close. I do 3 hours of commuting per day mostly motorway and every car you see that is either randomly touching the brake for no reason without actually slowing down or gradually drifting left or right before correcting periodically invariably as you pass by will be on their phone. I think it should be automatic suspension for a month if your caught looking at the phone while driving. I’d love to know how many of the rear ender incidents on the motorway is due to phone use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Will you be able to reinstall it when the Garda pulls you over?

Advertisement