Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there no PCR tests available?

• 29-12-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Why is there no appointments available on the HSE website anywhere in the country?

I have selected every county and not one appointment is available

I recognize they are busy... But surely they should of seem this coming for them to expand services to cope with demand.

What else are they not managing right..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

They book up after midnight because half the country has symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Expect more smoke screens from Paul Reed & co.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

What??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Because we are in the midst of an omicron surge and it’s not possible to magic up testing capacity in two weeks that is likely pointless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Assume you have it, test with shop purchased antigen tests, isolate for required time, case closed. Plus side no official record of you ever having the virus kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,101 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There isn't the capacity available lab wise.

There couldn't be either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Our testing calacity has doubled since the pandemic started.

It was initially at a terribly pitiful level, and not its just at a pitiful level.

Tests are limited to 30k per day.

With 10k positive tests a day it means those people will have An average of at least 3 close contacts so thats an entire days teating wiled out.

If i had symptoms i wouldn't even bother trying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

A lot of the capacity issues are surely related to a situation of "Ah, I might as well get the PCR and if it's positive, I don't need the booster for my Covid pass".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

Contact your GP for a referral. One of the testing centres near us never appear to release any appointments (always 0 at midnight), but can be got through the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We can now do 250,000 a week and Reid talked about ramping up to 300,000+. Ultimately we can't just keep expanding the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

This is exactly why I got my pcr. I was able to stay home and isolate, just taking the antigen test.

But the govt want to force me to get a booster or not let me travel/dine indoors or god knows what else they'll cook up. The govt moved the goal posts, the people are just playing the game.

As a side note, people need proof of pcr for payment off social welfare and for time off work too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...cause such resources required for an all of a sudden surge simply dont exist in the country.....

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

OP, check the website again after midnight. My wife tried to book one during the day yesterday and the site implied that there were no free slots anywhere in the country for several days. A friend who works for the HSE then suggested trying again after midnight and, lo behold, there was a choice of pretty much any time tomorrow (Thursday) at the testing centre nearest us.

Seems they are taking bookings for the next 24-48 hours, but reserving the rest until time ticks over into the next day (aka midnight)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corkonion

I know many people with symptoms that were unable to get a pcr test, which really makes our daily reported new infection numbers totally irrelevant, between people that don't bother getting tested, can't get an appointment, asymptomatic cases, etc, you could double or triple the daily cases and still be nowhere near the real number.

Denmark are doing 170k per day.

We are doing 30k on a good day.

Its pitiful here.

Where would you take the money from to fund increased testing capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Daughter has symptoms and had a positive antigen test yesterday - tried all day yesterday to get a pcr , tried again after 12 last night - one testing centre out of 4 had appointments over 700 of them - could not book one of them for love nor money . Hubby tried again at 6 am no joy. Rang gp busy tone from 9 am to 10.30 eventually got tru to receptionist - will have a phone consult this evening. Hopefully he will be able to book one for us. I’m taking it she is positive but want a definitive diagnosis in case - she has issues down the line ( she is asthmatic ) , we will get her the booster once it is available for her age group so need to know and we need proof for work in terms of self isolating. Lots of reasons people may want / need a pcr test. It’s a total head wreck at this stage.

Post edited by lulublue22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Everybody has been doing antigen tests over Christmas and it's caught a load of cases, so they are all trying to book PCR tests, if you are in the same boat book a PCR test because at least you will have a certificate of recovery to back it up in case you need it. If you have it now and want to travel and need a PCR test in two month you could test positive. So get a test now and have a certificate of recovery in stead of PCR test for flights.

This site will show you were there are tests but it not 100 accurate, often the HSE site says 0 app...

Go on after midnight and see if can book a test, took me till 2 in the morning to book 3 as the site kept crashing.

They need to redesign the site, take the persons details first allow family booking and then find appointments. Try to book a drive in test too so that you aren't going in to building with sick people on the off chance you don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pawinho

Looks like there will be some changes about PCR test.

"CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses. Such assays can facilitate continued testing for both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 and can save both time and resources as we head into influenza season."

GP shouldn’t be charging for covid referrals. It should be free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Post edited by lulublue22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We looked every 20 or 30 mins yesterday for the 2 kids.

Went on at midnight.

Plenty tests but no chance of booking one.

They released more at 12:30.

We got one each for the 2 kids in different centres.

Then at 1 they put another few up and we got sorted properly.

Pain in the hole.

Know 3 people with positive antigens. None got a test last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Could take the €18m of public funds going to greyhound racing for a start.

Where did we “take” it from in the first place to start testing?

The testing system, if it cant cope with anything near the demands being placed on it at peak times makes it essentially redundant, this isnt the first wave where the testing system has been miles away from demand either.

Where is the money coming from to roll out vaccinations? Where is the money coming from to subside pubs and restaurants, where is the PuP money coming from?

Ok so where will you get the people to staff it? They were taken from other essential services in earlier waves resulting in enormous treatment backlogs now. Would you redeploy spoech and language therapists again so we can count a few more people with cold symptoms?

I just think we need to reevaluate priorities regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My brother has been trying to get one since Dec 23rd. He is about to give up.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Every second person has it thats why

Ring back and ask, they may think you want a routine consultation too. Tell them it’s just covid referral. The gov pays them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

He would be clear in a couple of days whether he had it, I don't see the point at this stage.

Advertisement