Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tragedy of Macbeth (Joel Coen) [Apple/A24]

Options
  • 21-09-2021 3:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So looks like one half of the Coens watched The Lighthouse and was inspired; from these few brief moments, it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Definitely keen to see it, Brendan Gleeson's in it too.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 84,984 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Denzel Washington as Macbeth and Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth, I'm sold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder how much these promotions are trying to avoid revealing this thing's dialogue - lest it scare folk away 😆

The film just looks like it'll be a feast for the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My son is doing it for the LC and it was my play too. I was joking watching Attack on Titan that following Macbeth is a piece of p1ss compared to an Anime show with over 100 episodes. Their teacher said they will watch this film next year , being honest I wouldnt be interested if it was any of the tragedies I hadn't read, I'd prefer to see a theatre production.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another teaser; definitely leaning into the atmosphere and visual aspects of this - and why wouldn't you

• Registered Users Posts: 84,984 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The reviews are good, Oscar buzz generating

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not surprising. The trailers have felt rock solid!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s impossible to deny the look of the thing. It’s all impressionistic sets, disarmingly unexpected perspectives and piercing close-ups. The framing of some scenes - including one where an entire room is used as a cauldron - is mesmerising. The film manages the unusual feat of being very stagey (there’s a claustrophobic nature to these minimalist locations that feel like they’ve fallen out of a giant theatre or even silent cinema) and totally cinematic all at once. Rarely in the modern era has Academy ratio felt quite so apt.

The performances are nearly universally great, albeit the brilliant Kathryn Hunter as the Weird Sisters is on a completely different level of intense, physical acting. Stephen Root also makes a spectacular, brief cameo.

There is a sense that this is an artistic exercise of sorts, more than anything. I mean, at the heart of it this is a very loyal - if pared back - Shakespeare adaptation. It’s also a little bloodless and sexless, given the material - not entirely so, but the formal precision maybe comes at the expense of a certain rawness. It’s a strong adaptation of obviously timeless and remarkable material, but maybe ultimately just feels like a curious aside in the Coen filmography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Brilliant IMO. Knew what it wanted to achieve and achieved it. Apparently took some leads from the German expressionist era, and that I can believe. Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Nosferatu etc. Cinematography was all class.

At once stagey and cinematic: the cinematography so brazenly two dimensional and minimalist, yet also full of striking, expressionist compositions. A "handsome" production and then some. Solid performances across the cast, with nobody straying too far into scenery-chewing - which can be an infectious problem when it comes to adaptations of Shakespeare. There was nothing especially new or transformative here, and in many ways the stripped back artifice is the abiding flavour left after watching.

On a separate point: it's funny just how aged Shakespeare's works can be compared with our more modern (nuanced) understanding of narrative structures. Imagine a modern-day film where its principal married couple were introduced precisely at the Inciting Incident and no sooner; we only meet Lady Macbeth when she decides yes, murder is the way for me, to tell with my humanity. Or the first act is spent with other characters telling us how awesome the lead was; oh that John Wick fella, you should have seen him fight.

Advertisement