Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seized engine on tractor

• 28-12-2021 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Good morning,

we got a Fiat 780 that was left outside but not started for 5 months but exhaust pipe was covered with bean tin

we took starter off and pried with bar at ring gear and its solid, not a mm it will move

we then took injectors and filled with mixture of diesel and ATF

one let the fluid straight down, the other 3 hold it so i'm assuming they all suppose to let fluid down and not hold if all is ok?????

the others do let it down in about a week so we refill, we been doing this now for 4 weeks and its still not move at ring gear

We are now looking for help here Please

Comments

Its not in gear by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ive seen lad soak for a few weeks like you have, engaged low 1st, handbrake off, few lads rock her over and back for a while and it freed up. But it wasn’t ever going to be a working tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I would not have expected it to have siezed rings to the liner after only 5 months outdoors.

I'd take a quick check elsewhere, why was it stopped in the first place?

Is there a chance an ancillary could be causing this issue, ie hydraulic pump

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jenalone

not in gear, was going well, just parked up as bought a 4WD tractor

as said 3 of them still holding the fluid but eventually seeps down but not a move of the ring gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Had it before the pressure plate broke up and the engine would budge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would you not be better off doing that in top gear rather than low?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Oops!

Always top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Doctors differ and patients die, lower gear gives more torque to break the seize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Had exactly the same issue years ago except it was a Fiat 880, was left idle about the same length of time too , but we had no bean tin.😀

If I remember correctly, it was going for export but it had to be running, so we didn't care how we got there.

We tried everything in the book, injectors out, and we put every substance in the place into the cylinders, penetrating oil, atv fluid, diesel, kerosene, wd40 etc etc.

We towed it hell for leather every day, in every gear, until the tyres were nearly square from skidding, but it would not give in.

Wouldn't recommend the solution, but it worked for us.

Took the head off, cut a fencing stake in half, put it down in each cylinder and hit it with a small sledge, while my young brother poked at the ring gear with a tyre lever. Must have got lucky, because I think the first whack, it freed out. I remember being amazed at how little it took to free it after all the failed towing.

Put the head back on, same head gasket, tightened it up probably without a torque wrench at the time, in with the injectors and it started up no hassle. Myself and the brother took turns rallying it up and down the road for an hour in celebration.

The "export man" called after a week and it started up first go, gave the auld fella the dosh and off it went into the sunset. The auld fella gave myself and the brother a few quid from the proceeds and we all lived happily ever after. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

Those were the days. We’d an old wreck of a car around the place. I did a spot of rallying around the yard one day. My dad came back in the evening and said “Sterling Moss must have been around today”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you had some way of heating the block , it might help , before you go taking the head off , portable blow torch on both sides for an hour ?? away from combustible stuff maybe drain and save the coolant first or maybe drain it , heat the coolant to boiling and refill , then tow in top gear high range, not a lot to lose regardless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jack the back of it off the ground and leave it in gear, then rock the back wheel every time you go past. Zimmerframe wins the prize so far.

I think you'll have to take the head off, small bottle jack on top, sitting on a piston, chain around the sump and over the top of the bottle jack and put pressure on it. I don't think heat will work, it's cast iron and won''t expand as much as mild steel. At least with the head off you can see what the problem is.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can you see the clutch from underneath? There's usually a plate, you can take off. Get someone else to press the clutch and see it it separates. It it was me, I'd run it on a hill and try start it in high gear.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement