Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squid Game [Netflix] [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well we're definitely getting a season 2 so it's just a question of what the creators can think of in terms of taking the story forward. The surprise of that first discovery is gone, so I guess it's whether the writers can think of something that's as engaging.

In my head, I'd chuckle if the first episode would be like Suicide Squad where we follow a new batch... Only for everyone to get killed in the first game. Statistically, it's bound to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

A standalone season 2, with small tie-ins,does sound like would be good.

Definitely going to be a challenge for the creators. I imagine this was in the works for years (at least in someones imagination) and from what I gathered, season 2 is gonna be fresh and had to be thought about so it doesn't sound like it's going to have that luxury of time building up in the creators mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The author has said that he has nothing else past a first season so I think they need someone new in. I would take season 1 as the finished product. A season 2 can only be a disappointment unless lightning strikes twice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Makes me think of the route they went with Battle Royale 2. Or just simply be more about the takedown of the games, teaming with the detective

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If this is to be believed, Hwang Dong-hyuk is at least considering the character journeys we might see in form Season 2 takes; with the obvious consideration being "what happens to Gi-hun?"

• Advertisement

Seems like we might also be getting a season 3 too; Dong-hyuk saying he's in talks for 2 more seasons...

I wonder if that means he's figured out a story arc. Making it feel like an even bigger difference in how long he had to plan the first season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I really enjoyed that, it was solid from start to finish.

I hope they go in a different direction for season 2, and not merely a rejig of season 1 with different games.

Post edited by mzungu on

That's the thing about these kinds of things. Will they make season 2 focus on games more? the way the likes of Saw became all about the traps and Final Destination became about the elaborate deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I just finished watching it after a binge. Enjoyable. the best thing was watching the games and seeing them play out.

I didn't really pick up on many things people seemed to pick up on here so have a few questions:

• Where did the money for the prize come from? Were the VIPs betting amongst themselves? Was the organ harvesting where the prize money came from?
    • I lost track of how the police man ended up getting on the boat to the island. I also didn't cop that 001 wasn't listed in the documents. He was looking for his brother that was missing for a month was it?

Couple of observations:

• Annoyed me that main character (Gi hun?) didn't go and look after Pickpocket girls family like she asked. A year later and the money was untouched and he'd heading off the America.
    • I was wondering why Old Man wanted to win so badly to pay off his debt when he was so close to death, obviously answered at the end.
    • Old Man was taking a big risk. He could have easily died when someone pushed him when playing the first red light green light game. Shots were based on movement so he would have been dead. Aswell during the night when all hell broke loose he could have been murdered
    • It didn't say at the start whether there could be multiple winners. It's something I would have asked. They didn't seem to know as they seemed convinced several of them could get out.
    • Why did they let the annoying girl live when she wasn't paired with anyone
    • After the first one or two games, every game after that halved the number of contestants, so it would have crossed my mind when selecting a partner for the marbles game.
    • Koreans age well. The annoying woman is 45 in real life. The front man is 51.
    • There was no fat people in the games. Is there no fat people in Korea?
    • Gi Hun was willing to cancel the games with just two left. Why? He knew other guy would kill him if he got the chance.
    • And last but not least, the games went on for at least a number of days yet the men were all as clean shaven as the day they want in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I really enjoyed it, but I’m not sure a second season would work. Can’t just bring a new batch of people in to play more games, and now that the creator is revealed, would it even continue anyway ? Not sure where there is left for the story to go really, other than repeating itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Saw made about 7 movies just repeating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh, not saying they couldn’t do it. Can’t imagine it sustaining my interest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Could do a prequel on the 2015 games where yer mans brother won?

There's plenty of argument to be made that Saw should have stopped at one as well 😜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Episode 6 was devastating.

Isn't it though! I remember watching @pixelburp talk about episode 5 and I was like...

DON'T GIVE IT AWAY, DON'T GIVE IT AWAY, DON'T GIVE IT AWAY, DON'T GIVE IT AWAY, DON'T GIVE IT AWAY

lol,.. my post like:

If it was the episode I'm thinking of, it was definitely the Point where I went from "huh, this guy's a jerk", to "death and plague on his house!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's officially back for season 2

• Advertisement

Wasn't the season 2 status official for a while now?

Wonder will they try and hire some decent English speaking actors this time lol. God they almost killed the vibe of the show. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From Netflix

Last I remember was the creator being up for it but needing some time or something to see if he could figure it out. Felt like he wasn't pushed for making a season 2 if he couldn't figure something out.

Squid Game Reality Competition Lands Series Order at Netflix

Somewhere in Netflix Programming:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$4.56m cash prize to the winner

The largest open casting call in the history of entertainment.

456 contestants from around the world wanted to take part.

Been seeing this tweet thrown around a lot about it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Interested to see what they can do with the new season. Season 1 was one of the more enjoyable shows I think I’ve ever seen.

I feel like 1 season would’ve been enough, but the world just doesn’t work that way

Advertisement